Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I Love Broadband!!!

Old 11-28-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I Love Broadband!!!

I LOVE BROADBAND!!

I just had to share that with someone that can appreciate it. My wife just doesn't appreciate a fast internet connection. I mean here I am d/l the new Ghost Recon demo (like 74 meg), posting with you guys and running my e-mail. All at the same time Like I said before, I LOVE BROADBAND!!!
Old 11-28-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear you. I got Road Runner on 2/99 would never go back to dial up. Night and day.
Old 11-28-01, 08:31 PM

I have @home, but it might be gone forever in two days
Old 11-28-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It helps when playing online. NO more lagging.
Old 11-28-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have had broadband since April 31, 1999 apart from a few disruptions while moving. I just can't go back to dialup and that slow torture ().
Spoiler:
Old 11-28-01, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love it too. I've been using Road Runner for the past 2 years and it's going to come in especially handy when I start my online gaming..
Old 11-28-01, 11:28 PM

RR here also. Have been using it since it came to my area in Jan 01.

My first download was AOL5.0 and it only took 20 seconds. I was overwhelmed, but now I only really appreciate the fast speed when I'm at my friends house on his 28.8 dial-up.
Old 11-28-01, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just got road runner. The techs there are idiots. The service is awesome however. I downloaded audiogalaxy in like 2 seconds compared to over a minute with 56.6.
Old 11-29-01, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to play online games when I had AOL and that was freakin' terrible. I lived in the country and that was all we had available. I pay over $50 a month for my broadband and it is worth every penny easily!
Old 11-29-01, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't even got to try online gaming yet and I am still sooo impressed! If I'm this happy now, can't wait until I try some gaming too

Since I'm in Israel, I've only heard of RR. On average how many kb's/sec do you guys d/l at? My average would have to be about 50 kb/sec. Maybe doesn't compare to you guys but it's still 10 x faster than my 56k was
Old 11-29-01, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I average about 1500-2000 kbps down during busy hours with my Road Runner.
Old 11-29-01, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
Have had broadband since April 31, 1999 apart from a few disruptions while moving. I just can't go back to dialup and that slow torture ().
Spoiler:
your smiley is asian when you highlight him
Old 11-29-01, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
WORD

i finally got my home hooked up. I live on a hill, so i guess the lines were not always around for broadband, so I only got it at work. Now with it at home.. Man this is great. It is like night and day.
Old 11-29-01, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you've never had broadband, you have no idea how good it can be. I had an idea, because everywhere I worked had a T1, but I didn't realize how convienent it would be having a 24/7 high-speed connection in the house.

Drivers for hardware? I don't even bother with the CD when the device is new. I just go grab the latest verions directly from the website.

40 mb downloads? I don't even blink. I used to archive all my downloads so that I wouldn't have to go get them again. Old habits die hard, but some days I wonder why I bother -- when I'm ready to re-install, there's always a new version.

I won't say that I don't buy software or music anymore, but let's just say that everything that I wanted but wouldn't have ever purchased, I have it now.

Browsing the internet? Totally different animal. I didn't realize pages were "heavy" anymore and take people forever to download.

Online gaming? It's nice being the LPB.

Forget who was in that movie the other night, or the recipe for your favorite soup or ... I don't even check my huge reference library anymore. Google's just a click away, and I can find it faster there.

If you've never had it, it's like digital crack. You'll find reasons to use it, and next thing you know, you could never go back. The past two times I moved, I made sure that I could get some form of high-speed access before I ever did it.
Old 11-29-01, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by einTier
If you've never had it, it's like digital crack.
I can't get enough... I'm seriously thinking about forking out the extra $15/month to go from .5kbps up to 1.5Kbsp!!!
Old 11-29-01, 07:47 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by einTier
it's like digital crack. You'll find reasons to use it, and next thing you know, you could never go back.

[psst]Hey man, how much for 3 100 Gig HD's? I got so much stuff dled and not enough HD space [/psst]