Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Codebreaker for PS2 is now available.

Old 11-28-01, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Codebreaker for PS2 is now available.

It's the better version of a Gameshark. Why do I say better?

1) It does not require a "dongle". It saves any additional codes to your memory card (uses VERY little space). No need to force that useless "dongle" in and out to play games any more!

2) Better code "hackers" (at www.cmgsccc.com). I've always hated the "hackers" (namely FNG) at gameshark. They're rude, condescending, and have to bow to the corporate powers (sometimes they are told not to release certain codes at all, or to put them on the "hotline").

3) It doesn't have that annoyingly long (and unavoidable) "FMV" intro that GS has.

4) It retails at $30

The only downside is that you can currently use anything like "skarkport" for it (though I never used anything like that in previous incarnations). It's a year late, but it's finally out. Yay! Now if I could just find a game I need it for other than Silpheed...
Old 11-28-01, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My friend picked one up and it works great.

They also have one out for the Game Boy Advance.

I used the Xploder (same as Code Breaker basically) for both my Dreamcast and Psone and they are much better than the Gameshark versions. Plus GSCCC has much better code breakers as mentioned above. I have always picked up codes from them that Gameshark never even released. In some cases the lazy hackers from Gameshark just go to the GSCCC site and steal hacks.

To get some of the MGS2 codes from Gameshark you have to pay for a 1-900 call. It's time for the Gameshark to go away.
Old 11-28-01, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yea but can u play your imports and backups with it?
Old 11-30-01, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I got one at Virgin Megastore for $21 yesterday (thank the Lord for the AMEX deal), and it's 4389573690456345% better than the Gameshark. The menus are quick, they've got a "double" set of characters to enter the new codes, and it will accept both gameshark codes and ones generated at www.cmgsccc.com. Woo hoo! Time to beat Devil May Cry in "Dante Must Die!" mode...
Old 11-30-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a gameshark. Never had a problem with it. I'll admit, i've heard from multiple places that the code hackers are jacks But i dont' care as long as the thing works (i dont' mind the dongle either)

Only thing that sucks though is that codes dont' come quick enough. Still no Nascar thunder codes, no james bond codes...

You think codebreaker justifies a 30 dollar purchase IF i already own Gameshark?
Old 11-30-01, 03:19 PM
AOD

Sounds great. Guess I gotta go and pick one up!
Old 11-30-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I have a gameshark. Never had a problem with it. I'll admit, i've heard from multiple places that the code hackers are jacks But i dont' care as long as the thing works (i dont' mind the dongle either)

Only thing that sucks though is that codes dont' come quick enough. Still no Nascar thunder codes, no james bond codes...

You think codebreaker justifies a 30 dollar purchase IF i already own Gameshark?
check www.cmgsccc.com and see if they are having any better luck with the codes you need. You could always sell the Gameshark on EBay and buy a Codebreaker. If you are happy with the Shark though there is no reason to switch.