Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one that doesnt play games on their PC?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see so many posts about games on PC and I'm just amazed. I didnt think they were that popular. My computer sucks, I use it to go on the net and that is all. That and I could never see playing a game on my small monitor with a mouse and keyboard. I love playing games with controllers on consoles on big TVs but the PC. I guess it could be fun for a little while.
Old 11-26-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are not the only one. I can't stand playing games on the pc but it might have something to do with my 13 inch monitor where as I play games on my 55" tv. Controllers are must like you said also.
Old 11-26-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Yup, they do.

I spent a lot of money building my own system, and most of that was for the gaming experience (and the "building computer" experience.

But there are great games for low end system. How "low" are we talking here?
Old 11-26-01, 01:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
1. I like to play online games, and consoles have a lot of catching up to do in this arena.

2. I like FPS's on the PC much better as well...they are fun on consoles, but there is no substitute for mouse and keyboard. I especially like fragging online (see #1).

3. There is nothing in the console world for those who like to play complex strategy games like Civilization 3.

4. Better graphics. Currently, no game goes higher than 480 lines in the console world.

5. Patches and downloads. This is changing in the console world (see #1), but it hasn't caught up yet. This is a double-edged sword, however, since developers can release a buggy product for the PC market and patch it later.

I like consoles better for arcade type games (excepting FPS) and PCs better for thinking type games.
Old 11-26-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
There are some games that are more worthy of a PC.

Online role playing games such as Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest and Asherons Call are great. Others are strategy and simulation games that are much better on a PC than a console.

Consoles are better for sports, action, fighting etc. That is just my opinion.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 11-26-01 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-26-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 22" NEC monitor coming on Wednesday along with a brand new PC - I'll be playing PC games for awhile. I'm currently using a 19" Hitachi monitor and it's fine for games. If you're using a 13" screen and some old Packard Bell piece of junk, then of course you aren't going to get into PC gaming. Geez. What you've said is basically like saying "I don't like eating ice cream" and the only experience with ice cream you'd had is licking some off the floor that had dripped off someone's cone yesterday and dried... of course you don't understand PC gaming.
Old 11-26-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the only game I play on my computer is the Civilization series. I've got a PS2 that keeps me busy. Mind you, I'm not a huge gamer either.
Old 11-26-01, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My computer is fine for gaming, but I just for some reason cannot stand playing game son my comp. That is what my Nintendo is for hehe. The last game I ever had for my comp was SimTower lol. And before that all I ever played was Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle on the Mac.
Old 11-26-01, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a heck of a PC that would be great for gaming, but it really doesn't interest me. I played Combat Flight Sim II some and Grim Fandago, but overall I don't like gaming on a PC. It's hard to explain, but I just prefer a console.
Old 11-26-01, 06:45 PM

No you are not the only one.. But I might play some on my pc, if it wasn't crap. But I'd much rather be sitting on the couch playing video games than in a computer chair.
Old 11-27-01, 12:35 PM
Retired

Nope, I hate playing PC games. The only areas in which PC's are better than consoles are FPS, Strategy Games and Online RPG's, and I'm only a casual FPS fans, and hate the latter two genres.

For the other genres consoles are at least as good as PCs and in some genre's (i.e. fighting) superior to PCs.

Plus I'd much rather play on my 27" Wega than my 17" monitor. I know you can hook up a PC to a TV, but that would mean cramming my PC into my living room, which isn't an option, and buying a new video card with TV outputs. Which brings me to my last gripe about PC gaming, the almost constant need to upgrade your computer in order to play the latests games at the optimal level.

With consoles, since I don't feel a need to own all of them, I can buy one or two every 5 years or so and not have to worry about upgrading it. I'll enjoy my GC for 5 years or so, and then buy Nintendo's next system. With a PC I'd have to pop new stuff in it several times throughout the 5 year period.

It's true that by this constant upgrading PC games are almost alway more technically impressive than console games, but graphics don't really matter to me. Gameplay does. Graphics are just a bonus.

So for me, there's just no reason to bother with PC games. Consoles have all the games I want to play, and I get to play them in the format I want--a nice TV, sitting on my couch, with a comfortable controller that will work perfectly with every game. My PC will remain just for writing papers, surfing the net, and balancing my check book.
Old 11-27-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can't play The Sims or Civ 3 on anything but your PC! I try to do action/sports on my PS2. Only stuff I play on PC are The Sims, Civ 3, Scrabble, etc...
Old 11-27-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't play PC games but my wife does play the sims... I'm a console man.
Old 11-27-01, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Consoles are also great for getting a group together and going head to head on something. I just don't see a bunch of people huddling around a computer.
Old 11-28-01, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm anti pc gaming. Unless it's You Don't know Jack or other party games. I hope a version of that comes out for GC because I would love 4 player YDKJ
Old 11-28-01, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
As has been stated elsewhere in this forum, a true hardcore gamer plays both platforms.
Old 11-28-01, 06:47 PM
Retired

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
As has been stated elsewhere in this forum, a true hardcore gamer plays both platforms.
A hardcore gamer simply loves playing games. It doesn't matter if he plays them on a PC, one console, several consoles, or all the above. Being hardcore just means you have a passion for games. You don't have to us a PC and consoles to be hardcore IMO, you just have to love games.
Old 11-28-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Boot
Consoles are also great for getting a group together and going head to head on something. I just don't see a bunch of people huddling around a computer.
Thats what LAN parties are for.

I like playing console and pc games. What I also like about playing on the pc is keeping up on the hardware front. Some of you may not like that, but I do. To me its part of the fun. To install the latest graphic cards to upgrading my processor. When running out of hd space, I got to think, what do I uninstall and or get a new hd. The games I wont like playing on console would be the fps that are being ported to the consoles. Like Solider of Fortune, Metal of Honor, Half Life, etc. I'll stick with the pc for those games.

Last edited by Mitsurugi; 11-28-01 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-28-01, 08:57 PM

I hate playing games on my PC. I'm a programmer and I spend all day on the computer working. Playing a game on the PC to me is like working. I need to be away from that keyboard to have some enjoyment. Console games for me!!!