Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 Modchip

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2 Modchip

what is the best ps2 modchip available and where can i get it? also i dont want to have to swap anything, so....

thanks
adam
Old 11-25-01, 03:21 PM

I believe they are only used for Playstation 2 piracy. I don't think this board is for promotion of piracy.
Old 11-25-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I believe they are only used for Playstation 2 piracy. I don't think this board is for promotion of piracy.
Oh I'm sure he just wanted the mod chip so that he could "back up" games that he already owned.
Old 11-25-01, 03:54 PM

Not necessarily.

They are also useful for playing backups of the games you want to keep from getting ruined over the course of the years, as well as playing import games you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

Not everyone is out to screw the market.
Old 11-25-01, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend installed the External ModChip and it works great for his "backup" games, and it is very easy to install. However, you will need the Game Shark Pro for the ModChip to work.

However, please remember that so far this ModChip cannot play backup games in DVD-ROM format.

Here is the link:
http://www.modchip.com/ps2/usbmodorder.htm
Old 11-25-01, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will this (or another chipset) allow the PS2 to play non-region 1 dvds?

I buy all my games and DVD's original, but I really would like to watch import dvd's not available in the US on it!!
Old 11-25-01, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by ravan
Will this (or another chipset) allow the PS2 to play non-region 1 dvds?

I buy all my games and DVD's original, but I really would like to watch import dvd's not available in the US on it!!
Check out the site:
http://www.modchip.com/ps2/dvdregionx.htm
Old 11-25-01, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ottolam

Check out the site:
http://www.modchip.com/ps2/dvdregionx.htm
Well, I did.. and it looks like you can play region 1 and 2 dvd's on your PAL (european) ps2..

I dont think it works for a US PS2. Also, its only region 1 and 2
Old 11-25-01, 09:44 PM
Cool New Member

If you want to talk about the Best modchip your looking for either a messiah or a Neo 4
goto
http://www.playstationmods.com/
for the source of neo4 (they are in UK but they have official us retailers you can trust)
or
http://www.channeltechnology.com
for the source of messiah chips

Look at the features of both, they are both a bit differant, but they are NO swap mods, so you dont need to swap with the Game Shark, however they are like 80 bucks? or so and 30+ wires.. so you really cant install them yourself and thats an extra 20-40? youd have to look around.

Im currently running an old neo2.2, its like 7 wires, I installed it myself wasnt too hard but I know how to solder, you have to swap cds with the gameshark, not too big a deal either, and the source code is free on the net so you can program yourself if you have a pic programmer, or buy them for cheap. I bought one and just made up 10 chips which are still shitting here... If anyone wants the other 9 you can have them for a buck shipped, but im not about to give out tech support or anything, youd have to find that on your own(the neo site has all the info, but remember youll still have to locate a Game Shark cd and stuff)
Old 11-26-01, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Lothar
Not necessarily.

They are also useful for playing backups of the games you want to keep from getting ruined over the course of the years, as well as playing import games you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

This is not true. No PS2 chip -- including the new Neo 4 -- can play an authentic import, only pirated silvers or DVD-ROM copies.
Old 11-26-01, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by eviljim

This is not true. No PS2 chip -- including the new Neo 4 -- can play an authentic import, only pirated silvers or DVD-ROM copies.
Not true... the new Messiah can play original imports with no swap tricks
Old 11-26-01, 08:07 PM

also, i have the usb mod for sale or trade... 10 bucks shipped. only one wire needs to be soldered and it plugs into the USB port on the front of the ps2
Old 11-26-01, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mljones99
also, i have the usb mod for sale or trade... 10 bucks shipped. only one wire needs to be soldered and it plugs into the USB port on the front of the ps2
Is it hard to solder it in?
Old 11-26-01, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by IamFlip

Is it hard to solder it in?

I don't think so. the two points you have to connect with the one wire are pretty easily reached. As long as you know how to solder you'll be fine.
Old 11-27-01, 01:19 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
the chip you want is a Neo4
Old 11-27-01, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Original Desmond
the chip you want is a Neo4

no no no... the chip you want is the Messiah... 100% direct boot chip with less wires to solder
Old 11-27-01, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

any release date for the messaih yet?? i've been holding out for that as well.. i know it keeps getting pushed back... just getting tired of the 'knife trick'..
Old 11-27-01, 11:15 AM
Moderator Emeritus

30 wires. If a friend of mine ever gets me to chip a couple PS2s for him, he'll owe me at least two dinners this time. I did two original PSs for one dinner. It's pretty sad that the only part of the electrical engineering portion of my education I have used in the "real world" was to mod an N64 rumble pack so it didn't need batteries, chip three Playstations so they could play imports(NJPW rules), and do some soldering on a stereo my Dad bought for $5 at a yard sale so both speakers would work.

Edit: If that 30 wire chip comes prewired, that wouldn't be so bad. Getting prewired chips is a real time saver.
Old 11-27-01, 03:57 PM

Location: 1st Star to the right and straight until morning! ^^;
Originally posted by Lothar
Not necessarily.

Yup yup. I own all Final Fantasy games for PSX. Love them but still I love to keep my games in virgin mint condition. I've got a few hair sctratches on FF7 :P

Backups rock for preserving but too many people abuse the system. I normally buy the original games if I like the backups later when the price is low. No point in paying an arms price when the game is new. Best to wait till the game has aged and price drops a lot then pick up on special while not looking the fun of playing the backup of the title while you wait.

Pix
Old 11-27-01, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by mkdevo
any release date for the messaih yet?? i've been holding out for that as well.. i know it keeps getting pushed back... just getting tired of the 'knife trick'..

I haven't heard a date yet but I do know they are in the manufacturing stage. I check the channel technology website from time to time to keep up with the latest.
Old 11-27-01, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So do i. So far no word on the site... If its 30$ and has no soldering it might be worth picking up and figuring out how to use.
Old 11-27-01, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
So do i. So far no word on the site... If its 30$ and has no soldering it might be worth picking up and figuring out how to use.

Its going to be between 50-80 from the rumors I have heard. and it will definitly require soldering... somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 wires.
Old 11-27-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PixieGrrrl
I normally buy the original games if I like the backups later when the price is low. No point in paying an arms price when the game is new. Best to wait till the game has aged and price drops a lot then pick up on special while not looking the fun of playing the backup of the title while you wait.
Don't take this as judgemental, but you're fooling yourself if you think that isn't abusing the system.
Old 11-28-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
The forum area indicates a price has been set for Messiah (55 bp).
Old 11-28-01, 08:08 PM

as for dvdregionx, it does work on US ps2s and plays all regions 1-6. I have one myself and it works great. checkout www.dvdregionx.com, or www.ncsx.com.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.