Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Xbox a good DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-01, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Xbox a good DVD player?

I'm sure this has been asked 100 times already but one more can't hurt

I'm planning to get an Xbox, prolly not till after xmas. I don't have a massive home theater, just a decent TV (planning to upgrade to the new Sony widescreen Wega HDTV I've been seeing, soon) and newbie but goodie 5.1 setup and all that. I currently have the Sony 360 DVD player which was their cheapest model last year when I got it.

How well does Xbox handle DVDs? Both video and audio? Would it be a wise move to use this as a replacement for my stand-alone DVD player, and buy the remote for it? Does the remote have to take up one of the game controller spots like the PS2 does, making me have to switch back and forth when I want to watch a movie or game (or can I plug it into the 4th controller slot where I'll rarely have to move it?)? And speaking of my remotes, can I program it into a Pronto remote? If all goes well I'll be getting one for Xmas What about the connections for component video and optical audio connectors, does that work good? Is the xbox progressive scan so it will look better when I get that $4000 HDTV?
Old 11-23-01, 11:18 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Is Xbox a good DVD player?

Originally posted by necros
I'm sure this has been asked 100 times already but one more can't hurt

I'm planning to get an Xbox, prolly not till after xmas. I don't have a massive home theater, just a decent TV (planning to upgrade to the new Sony widescreen Wega HDTV I've been seeing, soon) and newbie but goodie 5.1 setup and all that. I currently have the Sony 360 DVD player which was their cheapest model last year when I got it.

How well does Xbox handle DVDs? Both video and audio? Would it be a wise move to use this as a replacement for my stand-alone DVD player, and buy the remote for it? Does the remote have to take up one of the game controller spots like the PS2 does, making me have to switch back and forth when I want to watch a movie or game (or can I plug it into the 4th controller slot where I'll rarely have to move it?)? And speaking of my remotes, can I program it into a Pronto remote? If all goes well I'll be getting one for Xmas What about the connections for component video and optical audio connectors, does that work good? Is the xbox progressive scan so it will look better when I get that $4000 HDTV?
Everything you want to know is here:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/316429p1.html
Old 11-23-01, 08:44 PM
Suspended

cool thanks for the link

Know if any 3rd parties will be making remote packs too, or is it only gonna be the official Xbox one?
Old 11-24-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If a third party makes a remote, it will be a bootleg most assuredly.

The Xbox remote includes the DVD Consortium license fee for DVD players. I suppose it would be possible for Microsoft to collect the fee from the third party--but not likely...

I would just buy the XBox remote. I think it is fine ergonomically.