Old 11-21-01, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gamecube Piracy now Available

Click here
Old 11-21-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That article is mostly petty name calling without a shred of credibility. Oh well, I hate Nintendo so couldn't care less if people pirate everything off they system. Pirating has been a fact of gaming since the Tandy days and it will never stop... as long as there are games, there will be pirates. I've not played a pirated games in years, but when I was in high school and didn't have money, I, like mostly every other gamer, engaged in pirating games... what do these companies expect, there are a hundred games released a month at 50$ each when the average kid either works at minimum wage or lives off his allowance, they are lucky to be able to afford a game every few months!
Old 11-21-01, 10:08 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

quite a happy bunch of posters...
Old 11-22-01, 12:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great logic. If there wasn't so much piracy the games wouldn't have to be $50 a piece, and likewise computer software wouldn't be so outrageous.

I'm sure the GC will be pirated, all systems have been, even the cartridge based ones. However the GC still has an advantage over the other next-gen sytems as the mini-discs won't be able to simply be burnt in a cd or dvd burner on any geeks PC. Someone will have to make and cell a special burner for someone to pirate these ... some offensive/ignorant remark removed. -namja
Old 11-22-01, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Great logic. If there wasn't so much piracy the games wouldn't have to be $50 a piece, and likewise computer software wouldn't be so outrageous.
Someone tell that to Nintendo. The prices on their N64 games were bloody outrageous and N64 piracy was virtually non-existent (what pirate is gonna pay $400+ for a n64 copier?) in North America.
Old 11-22-01, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ipkevin

Someone tell that to Nintendo. The prices on their N64 games were bloody outrageous and N64 piracy was virtually non-existent (what pirate is gonna pay $400+ for a n64 copier?) in North America.
Gotta agree... N64 games were around 25-75% more expensive than other machines... most games in Canada were 80-125$ while PSX and PC games were around 40-70$ when they were the ones being pirated left and right.
Old 11-22-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Feneant
That article is mostly petty name calling without a shred of credibility. Oh well, I hate Nintendo so couldn't care less if people pirate everything off they system. Pirating has been a fact of gaming since the Tandy days and it will never stop... as long as there are games, there will be pirates. I've not played a pirated games in years, but when I was in high school and didn't have money, I, like mostly every other gamer, engaged in pirating games... what do these companies expect, there are a hundred games released a month at 50$ each when the average kid either works at minimum wage or lives off his allowance, they are lucky to be able to afford a game every few months!

I never knew anyone other then myself who ever pirated a game I knew a lot of gamers too.
Old 11-22-01, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's because it costs more to make cartridges than CDs. Nintendo doesn't seem to like using the most efficient form of media. CDs were cheaper than cartridges and hold 20 times more data, but they opted for cartridges anyway. Then n64 owners had to pay more for games that were hindered because there wasn't enough room to put data on it, and they had to release texture packs for some games which adds on to more cost. Now they choose to go with mini-DVDs instead of regular DVDs, which result in much less data storage but promote a "non-piracy" format. I still think it's a mistake on their part. I'm sure many developers would appreciate 5 gigs of extra storage, but then again nintendo games have never been too heavy on voice acting or FMVs, which they couldn't really have been before. I'm sure if there are good games made for Gamecube, we'll see 2-disc games in the future. I guess it's not that big a problem as long as they protect against piracy, but nintendo fans have never been known to pirate their games... Honestly, how many 12 year olds do you know pirate games?
Old 11-22-01, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by V-ism
I think it's because it costs more to make cartridges than CDs. Nintendo doesn't seem to like using the most efficient form of media. CDs were cheaper than cartridges and hold 20 times more data, but they opted for cartridges anyway. Then n64 owners had to pay more for games that were hindered because there wasn't enough room to put data on it, and they had to release texture packs for some games which adds on to more cost. Now they choose to go with mini-DVDs instead of regular DVDs, which result in much less data storage but promote a "non-piracy" format. I still think it's a mistake on their part. I'm sure many developers would appreciate 5 gigs of extra storage, but then again nintendo games have never been too heavy on voice acting or FMVs, which they couldn't really have been before. I'm sure if there are good games made for Gamecube, we'll see 2-disc games in the future. I guess it's not that big a problem as long as they protect against piracy, but nintendo fans have never been known to pirate their games... Honestly, how many 12 year olds do you know pirate games?

From what I read in the newspapers today, Nintendo used cartridge (and now not CD/DVD) not only because it reduced piracy but mainly (they won't admit it officially) because it is a proprietary media and they make an extra % of all the games that are sold on this media (even if it is not a game distributed by Nintendo).
Old 11-23-01, 05:30 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by joshhinkle

I'm sure the GC will be pirated, all systems have been, even the cartridge based ones. However the GC still has an advantage over the other next-gen sytems as the mini-discs won't be able to simply be burnt in a cd or dvd burner on any geeks PC. Someone will have to make and cell a special burner for someone to pirate these ... some offensive/ignorant remark removed. -namja
more ignorant remarks removed. -namja
Old 11-23-01, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The cartridge thing was based on the money Nintendo made by owning the production facilities and the fact the Miyamoto hates load times. I think he is the main reason Nintendo went with the small, fast loading mini DVDs. I have seen at least 5 interviews with the guy where he complained about CD load times.

The piracy thing will happen with all game systems, but the fact that DVD burners are expensive and mini-DVD Rs are impossible to find will insulate the Gamecube from it in this country at least. 99.9% of gamers will not pay for an expensive add-on just so they can pirate Gamecube games.

DC and PSX piracy was more common just because it was so easy and honestly I only knew a couple of people that bothered to download and burn their own games. I don't think Nintendo will have to worry about this much outside of Asia, but everything is bootlegged there anyway whether it be games, DVDs, VHS, or Music CDs.