Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Should I return my ps2 for xbox?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-01, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I return my ps2 for xbox?

Just got the ps2 3 weeks ago and can still return it. Overall, I am impressed with the games I have but wish I could really utilize my HD ready tv (sony XBR450) and dd5.1 more.

I will have to trade in my current ps2 games (4 of them) at about a 50% loss, but it would be worth it if the graphics and sound are much better on a xbox.

I love gta3, madden2002,nhl2002 but can eventually get them all on xbox. I'm not worried too much about the future of xbox but more hesitent to go through the trouble of returning the ps2 and then trading in the games. What do you all think?

Ramble,ramble,ramble....I am about ready to make a snap decision as Funcoland has 5 xbox's available as of noon today. And yes, I've read all the post on this board, and others. I'm not looking to be convienced just looking for a little discussion.
Old 11-21-01, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, some PS2 games support DD5.1, like FFX. However, it is really up to you. It all in the end depends on the *games*, not what new high-tech gadget the machine supports, IMO.
Old 11-21-01, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Actually, some PS2 games support DD5.1, like FFX. However, it is really up to you. It all in the end depends on the *games*, not what new high-tech gadget the machine supports, IMO.
Yeah, have not played trickey but have NHL2002. You know what, I was not at all impressed with the dd5.1 in this game. They could have done a lot more with it, in my opinion. I know it's up to me and as I re-read my post I sound like a 12 year old (not that there is anything wrong with that) asking to be talked into or convienced of this system or that system. I'm 35, and none of my friends, family, or co-workers are into gaming (they think it is a waste of money) so I really am just looking for some dialogue(sp?). I guess I am just using this post as a sounding board, not looking for a definitive answer.
Old 11-21-01, 04:53 PM

Then the best thing to do is to look at each system, and determine which of them has games that interest you the most. For everyone, this is different.

I'm not sure what kind of discussion you really are seeking. It all depends from person to person as to what kind of games they like.

If all the games you are interested in are available on the X-Box, then you may as well exchange it since it'll look better. But, for example, you also really want to play many of Sony's exclusives like Gran Turismo 3, MGS2, etc., then you're out of luck. You can't always have the cake and eat it too.
Old 11-21-01, 05:06 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

But, for example, you also really want to play many of Sony's exclusives like Gran Turismo 3, MGS2, etc., then you're out of luck. You can't always have the cake and eat it too.
Not all exclusive, my friend. GT3 is never coming to the XBox, but some sweet PS2 games are: GTA3, MSGX, Tony Hawk 3, and Silent Hill 2. And I have enough to keep me busy on the XBox until those games arrive.
Old 11-21-01, 05:07 PM

I have a PS2 and I am fairly happy with it. I also had that debate with myself about the XBOX after seeing the games. I found only one decision to this. I had to have both systems. I really think you can't say one is better than the other. There's always going to be games you'll want on that are exclusive to one of the systems. Just save up your Christmas money and buy an XBOX and keep the PS2.
Old 11-21-01, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Cyberock
I have a PS2 and I am fairly happy with it. I also had that debate with myself about the XBOX after seeing the games. I found only one decision to this. I had to have both systems. I really think you can't say one is better than the other. There's always going to be games you'll want on that are exclusive to one of the systems. Just save up your Christmas money and buy an XBOX and keep the PS2.
Now that's the kind of "discussion" I was looking for! I'll keep the ps2 and wait till after the holiday's and pick up a xbox. Oh man, the wife is gonna kill me.
Old 11-21-01, 05:29 PM
Registered

Probably not a bad idea. I have a PS2 and was looking at getting an Xbox. I have a 16x9 TV and so one of the big reasosn I was looking at Xbox for was the High Def gaming.

But when I tried out a number of the current games for XBOX, many of them left me flat. Now I don't think you can really get a real sense of a system from an instore demo, so I look forward to the time when I can spend more time playing.

But Cel Damadge reminded me of a cartoon Twisted Metal Black (which I am not a fan of). I didn't get into fusion frenzy, and while the Hockey game (NHL Hitz) looked great I didn't like the gameplay that much. I didn't try out Halo, but I am looking forward to trying it out.

I did get a Game Cube as a birthday present, and while there aren't a lot of games for it I really enjoy it. I have a 3 year old daughter and she likes Super Monkey Ball.

But when I am out looking at games I can't ignore how many games there are right now for PS2. Grand Theft Auto 3 is a BLAST and so is Metal Gear Solid: SOL.

You'd kick yourslef for getting rid of your PS2 (especially at a loss) for Xbox. I'd say wait till after the holiday season. Who knows maybe Microsoft will do a price drop if they don't sell like they they are expecting....

Also try the component cables for PS2, it really helps!

- G
Old 11-21-01, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Flay

Not all exclusive, my friend. GT3 is never coming to the XBox, but some sweet PS2 games are: GTA3, MSGX, Tony Hawk 3, and Silent Hill 2. And I have enough to keep me busy on the XBox until those games arrive.
Huh? Like I said, if he wants to play many of Sony's exclusives (be they GT3, Jax & Daxter, Virtua Fighter 4, blah blah), then he would be missing out. Liekwise, if he doesn't get the X-Box, he'd be missing out on X-Box exclusives like DOA 3 and Halo. MGSX does not = MGS2, by the way. They're not the same game.
Old 11-21-01, 06:35 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

MGSX does not = MGS2, by the way. They're not the same game.
Just like Silent Hill 2 for the PS2 is nothing like Silent Hill: Restless Dreams for the XBox?

Konami will probably use the same treatment as they did for SH2. Use MGS2's core game, add some extra gameplay section, and spruce up the graphics. Bam! There lies MGSX.

I really don't think it is a 3rd installment already.
Old 11-21-01, 06:39 PM
EZ3

Well, if you're enjoying the PS2 games you have, I'd just stick with that for awhile. However I believe Xbox WILL be the better choice in a few months, and if you'll be able to afford both, then all the better. I don't see a reason you'd need to decide now. Unless you want HALO that bad, which I admit IS a pretty good reason

On a side note, what exactly is MGSX? Is it just going to be the first MGS with a few bonuses, a port of MGS2 or a different game altogether?

edit-- Thanks Flay, that makes sense. But I take it no one knows for sure what it is yet?
Old 11-21-01, 06:45 PM

Just like Silent Hill 2 for the PS2 is nothing like Silent Hill: Restless Dreams for the XBox?

Konami will probably use the same treatment as they did for SH2. Use MGS2's core game, add some extra gameplay section, and spruce up the graphics. Bam! There lies MGSX.

I really don't think it is a 3rd installment already.
Actually, it stil isn't clear as to what MGSX is. Gamespot reported that it is MGS2 port, but other sources (Gaming Age) said it is a combination of scenarios from MGS1 and MGS2. That is why we shouldn't assume it is an MGS2 port. We don't know yet.
Old 11-21-01, 06:48 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Yah, nobody knows for sure. But chances are Konami would treat it the same way they are treating Silent Hill 2. That is the most obvious answer now, anyway.
Old 11-21-01, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GTA3 is very far away for XBox users, and we've seen nothing of MGSX; not even a screenshot, nor have we heard anything about it for months. It is possible that Sony may have sealed Konami off from the X-Box, because, as far as I know, after Silent Hill, there is not a single Konami game announced for X-Box that has shown any shots or movies, or that has a release date.

Also, I don't really think that the extra, tacked on Silent Hill scenario really adds much to the game. But I'm not really a Silent Hill fan in the first place. Devil May Cry is more my style. I was pretty disappointed with Silent Hill and Resident Evil on PSX. Too many cheap scares, too little action, if you ask me. Once you know where the monsters jump out, the only replay value is in seeing how fast you can finish the game.

Also, Sony has also locked up Square pretty tightly. They may try to multiplatform their online game, since they need to reach a large market to justify their expense for the network. But FFX is PS2 exclusive. I heard Silent Hill 2 was good, but survival horror has never suited my tastes. Tony Hawk, SSX, and most other sports titles are all multiplatform, though they were all designed and optimized for PS2. I am skeptical about control on some of these ports from the PS2.

Sony will definitely have MGS2 and GTA3 as exclusives for most of a year, which is a long time in gaming. The fact that they may eventually come out for the X-Box is not a point in the X-Box corner, because PS2 owners can play these games right now. You may say you don't mind the wait, but, really, will you be satisfied to pay $49 for these games when they're on the PS2 shelves with "Greatest Hits" banners, for $14.99?

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 11-21-01 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-21-01, 07:48 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
Sony will definitely have MGS2 and GTA3 as exclusives for most of a year, which is a long time in gaming. The fact that they may eventually come out for the X-Box is not a point in the X-Box corner, because PS2 owners can play these games right now. You may say you don't mind the wait, but, really, will you be satisfied to pay $49 for these games when they're on the PS2 shelves with "Greatest Hits" banners, for $14.99?
Rockstar is bringing GTA3 to the XBox in late April early May. So you can cut your estimation of a year in half. I bet info on MGSX will be given at least a month after MGS2 was released not to hurt PS2 sales.

Also your "Greatest Hits" arguement is flawed. No way GTA3 will be $14.99 in 6 months or even a year! That is just insane.

I sold my PS2 to pay for my XBox preorder because I knew these games were coming to the XBox. So why bother with the PS2? But I certainly have more than enough to play before they come out; even if it was a year.
Old 11-21-01, 07:55 PM

I'm a little weary of the X-Boxes future. They could turn out to be another PSX (still making games for this machine after more than 5 years of service) or another DC (Died about 2 years after launch). Sony will almost always get every great 3rd party game. With 20 million users and that # growing it's hard for developers to ignore the PS2. The only ones they won't get are the first party games (Halo, Zelda, etc.) I for one have come to terms that I won't be playing meteroid when it finally comes out, but will be playing FFx early next year. I have no intent on playing Halo, if I did I would get the pc version. Now I don't have a 16x9 TV but all the great games I want to play are on the PS2 and will continue to be. Plus I haven't seen a single X Box game that blows away what the PS2 has done. On a side note my fav. football game NCAA 2001 won't appear on any other system, reason enough for me to keep my PS2.
Old 11-21-01, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nick-tdi
I'm a little weary of the X-Boxes future. They could turn out to be another PSX (still making games for this machine after more than 5 years of service) or another DC (Died about 2 years after launch).
I am not an Xbox supporter, I really don't want one at all, but there is no way the Xbox will die like the DC. First of all it has much support from third parties...and Microsoft has much more financial might than Sega had...
Old 11-21-01, 08:02 PM
Banned

It all depends on the games. You can have fun with your PS2 now or buy an Xbox and wait till some good games come out. It's up to you.
Old 11-21-01, 08:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I remember reading MGSX is supposed to be MGS1 Integral (you know the one with the addon disk). But they've said nothing since that, we don't even know if its still coming out. They would surely have updated the graphics though as MGS2 blows MGS's graphics away.

As for X-Box or PS2? People here are right, its all about exclusive games. I like my PS2 because it has MGS2, ICO, Devil May Cry, and the upcoming Final Fantasy X (reason why I bought my PS2!). If you like first person shooters like Halo then the X-Box may be your cup of tea (its supposed to be coming out for the PC next year though I hear). On a similar note I got a GC because it has the exclusive games I wanted to play (Wave Race, Super Monkey Ball, Smash Bros, Zelda). Think about what you like to play and the features it has that you want to use, some people like me don't own HDTV's (I would if it had the money!!) those options aren't really thrilling to me(yet). And make sure you have fun, don't force yourself to like something just because everyone else says its good, thats what games are for, right?
Old 11-21-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ScandalUMD
It is possible that Sony may have sealed Konami off from the X-Box, because, as far as I know, after Silent Hill, there is not a single Konami game announced for X-Box that has shown any shots or movies, or that has a release date.
Look here:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...475264,00.html
Old 11-21-01, 09:04 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Konami is bringing 11 games to the XBox:

-Air Force Delta Storm
-Crash Bandicoot X
-ESPN NBA 2Night 2002
-ESPN NFL Primetime 2002
-ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
-Jurassic Park 3
-Metal Gear Solid X
-National Hockey Night 2002
-Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams
-Thing, The
-Tour de France

http://www.gorillax.com/main.asp
Old 11-21-01, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Konami is bringing 11 games to the XBox:

-Air Force Delta Storm
-Crash Bandicoot X
-ESPN NBA 2Night 2002
-ESPN NFL Primetime 2002
-ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
-Jurassic Park 3
-Metal Gear Solid X
-National Hockey Night 2002
-Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams
-Thing, The
-Tour de France

http://www.gorillax.com/main.asp

I bet they are hedging their bets- announce they are bringing a game to the xbox but give no firm dates. then wait to see if the xbox takes off. if by feb the xbox is only at 1-2 million sold then they postpone the titles to improve them and wait some more.

However we will only know after xmas.

personally why take a hit on the PS2 when there are great games for it. why settle for a couple games that are good and not much else when you already own the PS2. is it worth losing 150 dollars or more to wait to play games out now on the PS2.

not for me it would not be. i am enjoying my PS2 and if down the line the Xbox has enough games to make it worth buying i will invest in it. I always wait till i know a system has the games before buying. i waited a year before buying the PS2.

Last edited by gcribbs; 11-21-01 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-21-01, 10:04 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by gcribbs
I bet they are hedging their bets- announce they are bringing a game to the xbox but give no firm dates. then wait to see if the xbox takes off. if by feb the xbox is only at 1-2 million sold then they postpone the titles to improve them and wait some more.
Actually, Air Force Delta Storm has already been released. ESPN NFL Primetime comes out Dec. 4th. Silent Hill 2 comes out on 01/10/02 and The Thing come out in March I think.

personally why take a hit on the PS2 when there are great games for it. why settle for a couple games that are good and not much else when you already own the PS2. is it worth losing 150 dollars or more to wait to play games out now on the PS2.

not for me it would not be. i am enjoying my PS2 and if down the line the Xbox has enough games to make it worth buying i will invest in it. I always wait till i know a system has the games before buying. i waited a year before buying the PS2.
Not everyone owns a PS2, yah know. I sold mine for the XBox. I don't mind waiting for the games. Time will only make them better than their counterparts. Plus, I have more than enough to keep me busy now as it is.
Old 11-21-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, Air Force Delta Storm has already been released. ESPN NFL Primetime comes out Dec. 4th. Silent Hill 2 comes out on 01/10/02 and The Thing come out in March I think.

Not everyone owns a PS2, yah know. I sold mine for the XBox. I don't mind waiting for the games. Time will only make them better than their counterparts. Plus, I have more than enough to keep me busy now as it is.
I was responding to our thread starter . Of course not everyone owns a PS2. some own GC or XBox or two or even all three of them and then there is the DC gang

however if you already own one why lose 150 or more like he said he would. keep the PS2 and play those games you like then when the XBox has enough games to make a purchase worth it to you buy that system.

I tried clicking on your link and it was taking a bit(my dialup sucks sorry ) so i assumed you were talking about planned games if they have announced firm dates great. i just know that many companies are announcing games then waiting to see the dust settle from the Xmas holiday before firming up a date. which seems to be a bit of hedging.

I frankly am glad to see a bunch of competition since it will mean better games and maybe lower prices for my PS2 games- which is a good thing

ok i spent some time while typing this to check out those dates. Most have none MSG solid X says 2002 and only three that i saw say this year with only one with an actual date(silent hill2) and two with a Q4 2001 release window(Air Force Delta Storm and ESPN NFL Primetime) so even if someone had looked it would not have shown any but one with a firm date. so my point might still be right in regards to Konami.

Last edited by gcribbs; 11-21-01 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-21-01, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I am

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.