Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help me make a choice - X-Box or GC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me make a choice - X-Box or GC?

Okay, gang, my local EB GameWorld will have both X-box and Gamecube this afternoon. I've been reading through the threads, but I'm looking for more direct advice. So, which should I get? Here are my current opinions/prejudices:

1. I don't care about speed, graphics, dvd capability, etc. I care about the games, and the games alone.

2. I'm iffy on the X-Box because it seems many of the games I'm interested in are pc ports or close to it (Morrowwind, Halo, etc.). I already have a pc, and I don't need another one to play ports. Also, out of the launch line up I'm only really interested in Halo.

3. I'm iffy on Gamecube because it's Nintendo, and I'm not sure I'm going to dig too many of the games because they might be too "kiddie". Out of the launch lineup, I'm most interested in Super Monkey Ball and Rogue Squadron 2.

4. I already own a PS2. Sports games are not a differentiator for me.

So, what I'm basically looking for is a system recommendation backed up with launch, announced games that you think warrant the purchase of the system.
Old 11-21-01, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got the GC last night. Rogue Leader is great. It was the only game on the GC that I was interested in. I'll probably sell it after I'm done and should get all my money back with some of the suckers on ebay.

Looked at the X-Box, but the DVD capability is extra. Along with the dolby digital sound. By the time I get everything It's almost $400 just for the X-Box.
Old 11-21-01, 11:39 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search here. "The one and only why I chose (blank) console" thread would be a good start. There have already been a few threads on this topic.
Old 11-21-01, 11:55 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Help me make a choice - X-Box or GC?

Originally posted by Duran

1. I don't care about speed, graphics, dvd capability, etc. I care about the games, and the games alone.
You've already answered your own question then. Look at the current games and future releases of both consoles. Which console will carry the most of what you like?
Old 11-21-01, 12:18 PM

Really, there's a thread or two that has upcoming releases on it:

Game Cube Upcoming Releases

XBox Upcoming Releases

There's a lot more for XBox, but I don't think that there are as many announced dates for Nintendo.

Far be it for me to tell you which games that you'll prefer, so just look at the list and decide what you want. All I'm saying is "Mike Tyson Heavyweight Boxing" YES! I only hope that there will be some Little Mac shoutouts!

I looked at those lists, and just saw the sheer quantity of XBox titles I would want (assuming they are fun, look nice, etc, etc) over Gamecube... you may see it the other way around, who knows?
Old 11-21-01, 02:51 PM

check out the thread i just started called " I just traded in my Game Cube for a Xbox"

Maybe you can learn from my experience. The Game Cube lineup won't see the must-have games until late next year. At the moment, I think Xbox has the better lineup. Good luck with your choice.

-=cysco
Old 11-21-01, 03:30 PM

Easy choice. Since buying an Xbox means giving your $$ to Microsoft, and no sane person would want to do that, get the Gamecube.

Plus, Nintendo has Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 11-21-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Cysco
check out the thread i just started called " I just traded in my Game Cube for a Xbox"

Maybe you can learn from my experience. The Game Cube lineup won't see the must-have games until late next year. At the moment, I think Xbox has the better lineup. Good luck with your choice.

-=cysco
It's all about what you prefer, but Gamecube has a major must have for me next month when Smash Brothers is released. Tony Hawk 3 was also a must have and Xbox doesn't have it.

Outside of Halo there is nothing in the Xbox lineup that interested me.
Old 11-21-01, 03:48 PM
dgc

Originally posted by porieux
Easy choice. Since buying an Xbox means giving your $$ to Microsoft, and no sane person would want to do that, get the Gamecube.

Plus, Nintendo has Shigeru Miyamoto
What great reasons for choosing a console.
Old 11-21-01, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by dgc

What great reasons for choosing a console.
Well, I choose to buy neither of them right now, but you can bet your ass I won't be doing any business with M$. Sorry if you can't understand that.
Old 11-21-01, 05:44 PM
Registered

If you have a PS2 I'd say go with the Game Cube as you're going to get games for the Game Cube which are a much different style than the PS2 or Xbox.

I really enjoy Rogue Leader and Supermonkey ball.

As a Dreamcast owner I see Game Cube taking the torch for the kind of games I've really liked on Dreamcast (like ooga booga or Bomberman)

I think GC compliments having a PS2.

But in a perfect world, wouldn't it be great to have them all

Initially I was more interested in Xbox than GC, but after getting screwed over by Bluelight on my Xbox order and advice here and from some friends I got the GC. So far no regrets.
Old 11-21-01, 05:53 PM

Played a gamecube the other night that a freind bought. I was impressed with the depth of rouge leader. It really had me wanting to play more. I've yet to play an XBOX....

Anyone else thinks it makes no difference?? Lets face it, 80% of the games out there will be on ALL of the systems. The only difference is that each system has games they specifically get (xbox has halo and gotham and munch, sony has Gran turismo, FF, and MGS, nintendo has mario, zelda, metroid, DK, RS, etc etc)

Personally, i'd go with GC, just because i'm a sucker for the licenses they have. The controller felt great, and the system was small, quick, and seemed to be powerful, and for 100 bucks less. But i'm quite happy with my PS2, it hasn't let me down yet.
Old 11-21-01, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by gkleinman

As a Dreamcast owner I see Game Cube taking the torch for the kind of games I've really liked on Dreamcast (like ooga booga or Bomberman)

I think GC compliments having a PS2.

But in a perfect world, wouldn't it be great to have them all
This is kind of the way I feel about the Gamecube. It's really replacing my DC and N64. There are still a lot of PS2 games I want and I'm sure I will be getting one next year. Final Fantasy X alone will drive me to the PS2.

The DC was my favorite overall system (My PSX was mostly a RPG system) and the Gamecube seems to fill the same role to me.
Old 11-22-01, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Great discussions so far ... but let's continue in the thread, "The One and Only List Why You Chose (blank) Console Thread":

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=153453