Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hacking the Xbox & PS2 DVD players

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hacking the Xbox & PS2 DVD players

Just wondering if any groups were trying to hack the Xbox's DVD features yet. ie, to turn off region checking and macrovision, pal-> NTSC conversion, etc.

Actually, has anyone done this for the PS2 yet?
Old 11-20-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been reading on some emulation sites that many hackers have already said the X-Box has been hacked (althought not in any major ways yet). Because the X-Box runs on some sort of derivative of Windows (I might be wrong on that point), but anyway because the coding and components are similar to that of PC makes it even easier to crack. The X-Box will be the most hacked system since the Dreamcast. I think there will be DVD region hack for it but I could be wrong as not all DVD players are capable of it, I don't think there's one for the US version of the PS2 though.
Old 11-20-01, 03:51 PM

I have heard that there are many potential XBOX hacks because of its PC roots. Some of the rumors have been of hacks that will create emulators that will allow PS2 and DC games to be played on the Xbox.

AFAIK , all the hacks are all speculative at this point.
Old 11-20-01, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by clash1
I have heard that there are many potential XBOX hacks because of its PC roots. Some of the rumors have been of hacks that will create emulators that will allow PS2 and DC games to be played on the Xbox.

AFAIK , all the hacks are all speculative at this point.
FYI the XBOX is nowhere near powerful enough to emulate either console properly.

Chris
Old 11-21-01, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here in Israel we have a kit designed specifically for the PS2. It's called "Dvd Region X". It serves as a boot disc and then you put in whatever region dvd you want. Therefore no need for hacking or chips.

The downside is the $50 pricetag

Last edited by Shuki; 11-21-01 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-21-01, 06:51 AM

I was watching tech tv yesturday. There was some guy who was a gaming expert. He had taken apart a gamecube and an xbox. To compare them. He basically said that he is currently working on hacking the xbox because it is based on a windows system. So therefore if you know some programming you will be able to hack the xbox.
Old 11-21-01, 07:22 PM

Yes, the DVD Region X works great. I got one for about $30US from an online game store. I have also heard rumors that someone has been able to get the Xbox to run Win98.
Old 11-21-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does DVD Region X also allow you to play PAL format DVDs on NTSC PS2s & TVs? ie, have you tried playing a European disc on an American or Japanese PS2 + TV?
Old 11-21-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Xbox's CD drive cannot read burned discs and all the games are on DVDs, so I don't know if we'll be able to download Xbox games any time soon.
Old 11-21-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why did you bring up burned games?
Old 11-22-01, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ipkevin
Does DVD Region X also allow you to play PAL format DVDs on NTSC PS2s & TVs? ie, have you tried playing a European disc on an American or Japanese PS2 + TV?
I do not own a PS2 yet (but I think I am within days of finally breaking down and getting one) but Sony is hands down the system for Israel. You can't even rent games for any other system anywhere here. So all over the place is this "Dvd Region X" that opens the PS2 dvd player to be multi-zone. It is not some garage made boot disc. It is professional and sold in every store that sells the PS2 here. The only requirement that I noticed on the box was that the TV had to be able to view NTSC (which of course is no problem for all in the States). Other than that it should be a go to play any region dvd in the American or Jap PS2 on an ntsc TV.

If you (or anyone else) wants more information, I can go pick one up and maybe scan some images from the retail box and you can check it out for yourself. Just let me know....
Old 11-22-01, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Found this link on the Dvd Region X:
http://www.games-depot.com/plegend/playps2dvdre.html
Old 11-22-01, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shuki, thanks for the info! I'm not sure the Region X does exactly what I want. From the posts in the playstation newsgroups, it seems RegionX is mainly for European/R2 PS2 owners who want to play US DVDs.