Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Has anyone picked this up yet? It's supposed to release today. Best Buy's website says it's $54.99 and realeases 11/20 but it also says Not available for store pickup.. What's the deal? Anyone know any B&M where I can pick this up and for how much? Thanks, ~Birdman~
Old 11-20-01, 09:32 AM

I thought it got pushed back to 11/27?

A friend of mine is anxiously waiting for it and was jumping up and down about the release date changing.

-Jason
Old 11-20-01, 09:35 AM

Anyone know if this is coming to any of the consoles? My comp could never handle a game like this...
Old 11-20-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be hitting stores today. Look at id Software's official site under news. You may want to wait until Friday though, I have a feeling this could be a Black Friday special at some stores.
Old 11-20-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CastleGrayskull
Anyone know if this is coming to any of the consoles? My comp could never handle a game like this...
It is coming to X-Box I believe.
Old 11-20-01, 10:52 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The latest blurb from id Software's site says:
November 19, 2001: More Wallpapers
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is hitting store shelves tomorrow, and to help roll in the momentous event we've got two more wallpapers for you.
Another blurb, though, says:
November 15, 2001: It's GOLD!
Return to Castle Wolfenstein has GONE GOLD! That means that the game is finished and the master CD has been sent off for duplication. It also means that the game will be hitting store shelves on November 21st (select retailers should have it on the 20th).
Wonder who the "select retailers" are, though?

Killing Nazis good!
Old 11-20-01, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best bet is the holders of the Limited Edition copies: EB, Babbage (and it's line of stores) and Best Buy.
Old 11-20-01, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Wonder who the "select retailers" are, though?
From http://www.shacknews.com ...

According to my sources at Activision, the following stores will have the game available tomorrow, Tuesday November 20:

CompUSA
Best Buy
EB (USA)
Gamestop
EB (Canada)
Old 11-20-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just visisted Best Buy around an hour ago. They did not have it nor did they know when they were getting it. They said they may still get it today. They said they weren't told when.
Old 11-20-01, 01:15 PM

Saw it at EB today here in VA. Sadly they where trying to charge 59.99 for the non collectors version They hadn't priced the tins yet. I'm still broke from my xbox purchase so I passed.
Old 11-20-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only saw it at EB today. They were selling the regular edition for $59.99 and the Collector's Edition for $69.99. That is incredible! The guy even told me that Activision personally bought the area that Wolfenstein was on in the store. I said, "Do you think I was born yesterday? Don't dole out that BS. This is the only PC game that has come out today, and it's large...of course you're going to put it in the primo spot".

Actually when I walked in I asked if they had it, they said yes...I asked how much, they said "around $63 after taxes" and I said, "Oh, you must be talking the Collector's Edition" and he said "No" and I laughed when I read the prices.

Needless to say I will wait for it to be at least $49.99 somewhere, it's been years since I paid $59.99 for a regular edition of a PC game.
Old 11-20-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just called my local Best Buy after visiting them this afternoon. They now have it. I'm stupid and forgot to ask how much. Hopefully it's not $59.99 like the previous post!
Old 11-20-01, 03:48 PM

I never pay more than $35 for new PC games anymore. Usually CompUSA or Best Buy puts the newest, hottest game on sale for $35 or less within a couple weeks after its release. Best Buy just had Aliens vs. Predator 2 on sale for $34.99, and if you went during their preferred customer weekend, you could get another 10% off of that total as well.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a hot deal on Return to Castle Wolfenstein somewhere during the upcoming holiday sales.
Old 11-20-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by T-Wolves
I never pay more than $35 for new PC games anymore. Usually CompUSA or Best Buy puts the newest, hottest game on sale for $35 or less within a couple weeks after its release.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a hot deal on Return to Castle Wolfenstein somewhere during the upcoming holiday sales.
My thoughts exactly.
I can wait a few extra weeks for a sale price. Glad I waited to pick up CivIII for $34.99 instead of paying $50 at launch.

$59.99 is pretty damn high for the game, not even sure if a $39.99 sale price would get me to bite...okay it would
Old 11-21-01, 12:05 AM

Well, I made the mistake of picking it up today.

So far I can't say I'm terribly impressed. I'm going to give it a few more days, but I think this one might be going back.

-Naan
Old 11-21-01, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tbird2340
I just called my local Best Buy after visiting them this afternoon. They now have it. I'm stupid and forgot to ask how much. Hopefully it's not $59.99 like the previous post!

just got it from BB...$54.99

they're milkin this one....
Old 11-21-01, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by T-Wolves
I never pay more than $35 for new PC games anymore. Usually CompUSA or Best Buy puts the newest, hottest game on sale for $35 or less within a couple weeks after its release. Best Buy just had Aliens vs. Predator 2 on sale for $34.99, and if you went during their preferred customer weekend, you could get another 10% off of that total as well.

Do those sales apply to buying online as well or in store only??
Old 11-21-01, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would not be surprised if it was on sale as early as Friday at places like Best Buy and CompUSA. We shall see what the ads look like tomorrow.
Old 11-21-01, 12:05 PM

Sadly, I doubt this one will be on any Black Friday super sale. I say this because of how close it came to not making Black Friday at all. Since the big retailers get their ads done and to the printer over 4 weeks ahead of the actual ad date, they probably did not want to risk putting something that was slated to arrive so close to Black Friday in their Black Friday ad.

If it had hit shelves sooner though I bet it would have made a special.

My plan is to sit tight and wait for CompUSA, BB or Compuexpert.com to run it at a cheap price. It might take a month or so, but it beats paying over $50 now...
Old 11-21-01, 07:46 PM

Just an FYI

Activision more than likely did pay for that shelf space. Like the grocery business game publishers must pay retailers for shelf space. When you walk into a EB, Best Buy or Gamestop and see those cool standees promoting a new game or a cool display of new software, rest ashured that the software store is making money on that.

-=cysco