Reload this Page >

Best Console Controller Design?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-19-01, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested to see what controllers people feel are the best designed. I'm talking from Atari all the way up to the GameCube and Xbox here.

I feel that through the years, the controllers have been one of the more defining attributes to the systems...There was just something about the way that the Genesis 6 button pad felt and responded that made it #1 at the time for me...then the US Saturn controller came along (the bigger first one), which I felt was the best and most comfortable, with the Original Playstation Controller a close second. However, when the Dual Shock analog came out, It took the crown, closely followed by the Saturn 3d pad, which ended up being the precursor to the wonderful Dreamcast pad. I always hated the Nintendo 64 controller, as it just never felt right for some reason, especially the Z trigger under the middle stick. The Gamecube controller is nice, although for some reason, like the N64 pad, it just doesn't feel right, but it's miles better than the N64 one. Then we come to the Xbox pad, which, at first I thought I was going to hate, but now I really feel comfortable with as far as the shape and such goes. I do have one complaint about it though- the shape of the buttons is a little bit of a pain, because they are so rounded and provide no flat surface area for the pad of your finger to hit that after an hour or so of gameplay, it just begins to hurt your finger. Anyone else agree on that? The pad itself though is well designed, and the analog stick is responsive. I just wish the buttons were a little more like a PS/PS2 controller in the shape department.

So what's my verdict? I like both the Xbox and the Dual Shock Analog tied for first, and the OG saturn Controller tied with the Dreamcast controller for second.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Oh yeah, and worst controller ever? The nintendo Virtual Boy. Good god was that thing just a bad idea all around...
Old 11-19-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
N64 hands down.
Old 11-19-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always liked the SNES controller.
Old 11-19-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,608 Likes on 1,007 Posts
I'd say a cross between the N64 and the SNES controller. I haven't been able to play any fighter as well as I could with the SNES - I never missed a fireball in SFII or MK. And the N64 controller always just "worked" for me. I didn't have any problems adapting to the "z" trigger, and I always liked that position better than the dual shoulder buttons on the PS controllers.
Old 11-19-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any questions.
Old 11-19-01, 01:20 PM

I think that the Gamecube controller is excellent. It fits the shape of my hands perfectly.
Old 11-19-01, 01:34 PM
Retired

Originally posted by madmike
I think that the Gamecube controller is excellent. It fits the shape of my hands perfectly.
Same here. My only gripes are the Z trigger is in a crappy place and the D-pad is too small. Everything is perfect.

Dual Shock is second, the triggers are uncomfortable to use IMO, and the Sticks are too loose for my taste

N64 comes in third. Nice design, but the analog sticks tended to wear out.

SNES is next. Nice simple design, triggers again uncomfortable IMO

Dreamcast next. Button layout is nice, but it is too big.

NES- nice and simple, but it need to be rounded, making it a plain rectangle with 90 degree corners was somewhat uncomfortable.

X-box. The worst that I've used. It's too big for my hands, the buttons are slick which sucks because my fingers slip off, and the fartherest two face buttons are damn hard for me to reach. I'm sure I get used to it eventually, but it is a poorly designed pad IMO.
Old 11-19-01, 01:41 PM

First place: Saturn Japanese Controller

Last: Power Glove
Old 11-19-01, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gamecube controller fits very nicely, but I love my DC controller. Just fits my hands right
Old 11-19-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,608 Likes on 1,007 Posts
"The Power Glove...It's so bad..."

...or was it "It's so rad?"...been along time since I've seen "The Wizard."

I had a powerglove, my older brother bought it for us. Cool looking, but man, playing "Mike Tyson's Punch-out" almost killed me.
Old 11-19-01, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by edstein

Any questions.

that atari controller fits perfectly into the Sega Genesis. Since Sonic the Hedgehog only needed one button (A, B, & C all did the same thing), I would play with the atari controller sometimes.
Old 11-19-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PSX 1/2
SNES
PSX 1/2
N64
DC

Those are my top 5. The others don't rank.

The thing about Nintendo is that they are always trying to create the best controllers. You have to admire there effort.

The SNES was great, just great. Of course Sony just added two sticks to it and called it their own. But it is basically Nintendo's design.

The N64 contoller is very cofortable for me. But it can be a problem for some gamers. With the N64 Nintendo was introducing the world to a true 3d world (Mario64) and need analog control. So they brought that to home consoles along with the idea of a rumble feature. Once again Sony copied the analog, and the rumble in later versions.

With the gamecube you see a return to emphasis on the Games. Nintendo really wanted a controller that you could just pick up. While the Sony's controllers are not bad by any sense, they do require you to look to see where your fingers are in relation to the buttons at first. By using an enlarged A button and focusing the other buttons around it you create a controller that that almost becomes a natural extension of your own. Many games use 1 button for alot of what you do. The GC shines in these games for ease of use, while still being very functional in multibutton games. The downside of the GC controller is the Z button. Shiggy didn't even want to include it on there, but outside pressure made them add it. Maybe thats why its a pain to reach... hmm... Finally, the digital click on the shoulder buttons are awesome.

Magor grip with the xbox for me is the controller. I have a hard time reaching certain buttons and they are hard. I will survive seeing that I must in order to play Halo. At least until it come tos PC. Later.
Old 11-19-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by draven-x
"The Power Glove...It's so bad..."

...or was it "It's so rad?"...been along time since I've seen "The Wizard."

I had a powerglove, my older brother bought it for us. Cool looking, but man, playing "Mike Tyson's Punch-out" almost killed me.

Yea Baby

Old 11-19-01, 03:30 PM

The Atari controller is great for old school games. I actually have a Wico Atari-compatible stick that is even better, the same kind used in arcade games.

For more modern systems, I'd have to give the nod to the N64 controllers, which I find to be the most comfortable. Also, using two of them in games like Goldeneye can't be beat, it works really well.

I've always despised the PSX controllers...why do people like them? The stupid digital pad is really awful IMO, with its discrete directional controls, and the analog sticks don't have near the resolution or feel of the N64 stick.

The Dreamcast controller is pretty good. Far better than the PSX. Plus, the triggers are analog, which for racing games makes a HUGE difference. How can you accurately drive a car without analog brake and gas controls??

Does the PSX2 still not have analog buttons on its controllers? If not, that would put the Dreamcast far above it from my perspective for that one reason alone.

Haven't used the Xlax or Gamecube controllers yet. Do they have analog buttons? After using the DC controllers I would never go back to digital control for racing games.
Old 11-19-01, 03:55 PM

Playstation 2 is #1 IMO. Least favorite had to be the old 8-bit Nintendo controllers.

Of the current systems, I'd say
1. PS2
2. GameCube
3. Xbox
4. Dreamcast
Old 11-19-01, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
The Xbox controller is the first controller I've ever been able to use for 5 hours (or even fewer hours in some cases) or more without any sore thumbs. All other controllers -- PSX, NES, SNES, etc. all gave me huge blisters. The only other one to come close was the NGPC controller, and that was because they used a joystick instead of a normal dpad.

Tuan Jim
Old 11-19-01, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
The SNES was great, just great. Of course Sony just added two sticks to it and called it their own. But it is basically Nintendo's design.
I agree with this partially...the SNES pad was good in terms of the layout of the buttons on the face, but the dpad was weak, and the shoulder buttons, for me at least, were a pain. I'd also like to know how the Sony pad is a ripoff of the SNES design? The only thing they have in common is the d-pad shape, and possibly the button layout on the face, which is suspect because the sony one is a straight cross design, while the angle of the SNES was more offset. Other than that, they are nowhere near the same...

I can't believe I'm getting this technical about control pads. LOL.

Anyways, props to the dude who brought up the Neo Geo Pocket stick- even though it's sorta not applicable here- but that really was the best damn thing ever. I still love my NGPC, and will never part with it. It was and is the best pocket system ever- the only way the Nintendo Gameboy Advance can overtake it is if they come out with games that are of the quality that the NGPC fighting games were. But I digress...
Old 11-19-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think any one controller has the best design, because it's up to you and how each of the controllers feels in your hands.

That said, I really like the Dreamcast and XBox controllers (though I don't like the button layout.) I haven't held the GC ones. The PS2 one is good as well, except their D pad is incredibly stupid. Make it more like the XBox one and that would be sweet.
Old 11-19-01, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think "best controller" really depends on the person, how large their hands are, and what types of games they play.

I'll list my favs, and only use modern systems since I can't remember how much I liked the genesis and NES controllers.

1. dreamcast
2. gamecube
3. psx dual shock
4. psx
5. xbox

...xbox is WAY too big for me. i can't stand it.

I usually play either platformers, or fighting
Old 11-19-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm liking the Gamecube Controller, but the Z button is tough to reach and I have no idea why they used a gameboy sized digital pad.

1 - GameCube
2 - Japanese Saturn
3 - Dual Shock Playstation
4 - 3DO Control Pad II (if anyone remembers the ergonomic one
5 - 3DO Flight Stick (awesome PC style stick and first analog controller for a Console)
Old 11-19-01, 06:58 PM

GameCube and PS2 Dual Shock are my favs
Old 11-19-01, 07:52 PM

My favorite is the DC controller, for which I would not have my arthritis!! Just kidding I actually don't have arthritis, my favorite controllers are:

1) Tie betweeen PS2 Dual Shock and Gamecube

2) N64, the analog on this controller was revolutionary at the time and is a little tighter compared to the loose PS analogs, makes it easier to control. The C button group was kinda cool too.

3) SNES, pretty comfy but I played it the other day and it seems a lot tinier than I remembered.

I put in another vote for the Virtual Boy for the Worst Controller, I have no idea what they were thinking, it has two many control pads for the types of games they made for it. Another controller is the Jaguar controller, it had too many buttons on it I didn't know what they were for, but I can't really complain about that one I only held it for a little while when I was testing it out.

Last edited by Outlaw; 11-19-01 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-20-01, 10:24 AM

Epyx made a great little controller back in the pre-NES days. The Epyx 500XJ had a Black base with a small red stick.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/ads/multi/epyx0001.jpg

also, the huge Ascii stick for the Genesis was nice. Metal base, huge buttons and it could survive being run over by a truck.

D
Old 11-20-01, 10:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Derrich
Epyx made a great little controller back in the pre-NES days. The
I remember those! I had them hooked up to my Atart 800xl. Must have gone through 5 or 6 of them in Junior High.
Old 11-20-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lordzeppelin

I agree with this partially...the SNES pad was good in terms of the layout of the buttons on the face, but the dpad was weak, and the shoulder buttons, for me at least, were a pain. I'd also like to know how the Sony pad is a ripoff of the SNES design? The only thing they have in common is the d-pad shape, and possibly the button layout on the face, which is suspect because the sony one is a straight cross design, while the angle of the SNES was more offset. Other than that, they are nowhere near the same...
Sony took the SNES pad and added extra shoulder buttons and grips. If people can claim the GC controller is a rip-off of the Dual Shock, the PSX controller is definitely a SNES rip-off.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.