Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Cube Tony Hawk 3 - Less Than Stellar

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-01, 05:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cube Tony Hawk 3 - Less Than Stellar

Judging from the Gamespot and IGN review, it looks like Cube TH3 is actually graphically inferior to the PS2 version. Couple that with the fact it doesn't support network play and we've got a real problem. This is making me re-think which system to get. I bet TH3 on the X-Box will end up looking the best and it will include network play.
Old 11-17-01, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The IGN review is not saying it's inferior to PS2. He's saying he expected it to be better than PS2 and it wasn't - just the same. I won't try to sway you into buying either system. I have a PS2 and an XBox and will more than likely have a Gamecube before the year's end. You just have to look at the lineup of games for each system and see which games look more up your alley.

He's saying this game was rushed to be a launch title for the Gamecube. It's of Neversofts haste - not Gamecube's lack of ability. I don't think this should give the Cube a bad taste in your mouth.
Old 11-17-01, 05:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah, but it's disappointing to know the framerate isn't as solid as PS2, at least the Gamespot review claims that. I'll wait to see how Amped is rated. The best Cube boxes won't be out until year sometime.
Old 11-17-01, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From the title of this thread I thought they gave it a bad score, your saying 9.1 is a bad score? Gamespot gave a 9, not too shabby. Anything over a 9 I usually rent at the very least (if its interesting to me). I don't even like THPS but I'm probably gonna rent it (for PS2 though) since it got the 10.
Old 11-17-01, 06:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Outlaw, considering the DC THPS2 got a 9.9 and the PS2 version of THPS3 got a 10, it's a tad disappointing that they couldn't improve it on supposedly better hardware. You say it yourself, you'll rent the PS2 version cuz it got a 10.
Old 11-18-01, 01:52 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I played it on my buddies PS2 last week, and tonight on the GC, and they look identical to me. As for the network play, I could care less. If I'm going to play a game multi-player, it's going to be with my friends in the same room. Online gaming just doesn't do it for me.
Old 11-18-01, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If the game is worse the the PS2 its only because of the devleoper, not th hardware. The GC hardware is easily superior to the PS2. It's not like the GC can't cant keep up. Bad programming strikes again.
Old 11-18-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Yeah, but it's disappointing to know the framerate isn't as solid as PS2, at least the Gamespot review claims that. I'll wait to see how Amped is rated. The best Cube boxes won't be out until year sometime.
The guys at IGN have said that the frame rate is as inconsistent on the cube as on the ps2, not worse. IMO, the cube guys are definitely not fanboys, so it's IGN's word against Gamespot's for now.
Old 11-18-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Judging by the mixed comments, it's best to say that this title should be rented first before deciding on purchasing it.
I love the THPS series, but I've yet to try this 3rd installment on any system.
Old 11-18-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Played it on the PS2 and my new cube. It's the same to me.
Old 11-18-01, 04:30 PM

I agree with everyone else. It's the same game. An exact port of the PS2 version. (minus the mplayer. and who knows when the modem will be available for PS2 anyway)

I do like playing THPS with the cube controller though.

-=cysco