Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Confused about XBox in 5.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-01, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about XBox in 5.1

just wondering, do i need the HDAV pack to get my XBox going in 5.1? also, does it matter if i don't have an HDTV?? just a little confused about the connections, and i wanna have everything ready when my xbox arrives next week. thanks.
Old 11-17-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have not seen an Xbox yet but I would assume the system has a coaxial or optical output in the rear of the machine in order for you to connect the unit to your system. The PS2 has an optical output for your stereo connection....I am assuming the Xbox would have the same connection in relation to 5.1 surround.
Old 11-17-01, 01:17 PM

it does not have a digital connector on the console itself, you need to purchase either the Hi-Def or Advanced kits to get your optical out.
Old 11-17-01, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was in the same situation as you're in now. I wanted to get everything together so that I could prepare all the cables behind my home theater system before I brought the XBOX home.

Here's exactly what you'll need:
The Advanced A/V pack from Microsoft. This will allow you to use the S-video connection on your TV. This pack already comes with an S-video cable as well as composite cables for stereo.
To answer your other question.....NO, you don't have to have an HDTV. The pack I described above will not take advantage of this technology. However, if you do have one, you'll need Microsoft's High Definition A/V pack which has component cables and the two composite cables for stereo.
Both the Advanced & High Def packs have optical digital out. In order to do 5.1 on your system get a Toslink cable. Both packs do not support coaxial digital audio out.

If you have more questions. I'll answer them if I can.
Old 11-17-01, 01:55 PM

You also have the option of buying the Monster Cables. They have a plug at the point where the AV cable connects to the console. This plug accepts an adapter that comes with the Monster $40.00 Toslink cable. I purchased both the S-Video cable and their Toslink cable. I know their optical digital adapter works with the Monster component Cable (Not 100% sure about the composite cable).
Old 11-17-01, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone else have trouble finding the Advanced A/V pack? The only place I went to that actually had it was Electronics Boutique ($19.99).
Old 11-17-01, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the Advanced A/V pack at Babbage's which is where I bought all my XBox stuff - so, no, I didn't have a hard time finding it.
Old 11-17-01, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a shortage. I had to drive 5 places to find the Advanced pack. I finally found it at Target.
Old 11-17-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks to all of you for your input. just got home. none at circuit city, EB, KB, or sears.. finally found the advance av pack at compusa. picked up that and DOA3 for $29, as i had some $15 software cash certificates from a shaws offer a few months back. also got to play rouge leader for GC... i can't wait for either one of these systems to get here!!