Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Will Sega ever be the same?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-01, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Sega ever be the same?

Will Sega ever bring their games to all platforms? I don't mean Sonic to GC, Shenmue to X-box, and Grindia to PS2, I mean will all these killer games ever be given to all platforms equally? Maybe in the death of the systems in 5 years?
Old 11-17-01, 08:29 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they have any sense, all of their big games will be on all three systems. They'll make more money that way, as everyone with any next-gen machine could buy their game. I'd say the only way their big games wouldn't be on all three systems is if one of the companies gives them big bucks to make it an exclusive.
Old 11-17-01, 10:00 AM

Microsoft might try to buy all the killer games, hopeflly Sega will resist.
Old 11-17-01, 01:30 PM

I doubt you'll ever see sega games on all platforms (except for the sports franchises) for several reasons.

1. it can be very expensive to develop for multiple systems. It can cost well over a million dollars per additional system you develop for. Every additional system you decide to develop for means you have to hire more programers and add additional time into your dev cycle. Most of the time it's just not ecconomical to put games out on all systems.

2. Not every game is going to fit the demographic of all systems. I.E. Super Monkey Ball may not fit the target market for Xbox or Gamecube users may not be interested in playing Shenmue. The console industry is very risky. You better be sure people are going to buy your game or you'll be out a lot of money.

3. Sometimes it's in the best interest for a publisher to do exclusive deals with one console. Usually this means the publisher will get a lower platform fee or additional marketing funds from the console company.

-=cysco
Old 11-17-01, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good points, now that sega is third party and mostly likely won't be making consoles ever again, I think the question should be....will "you" ever see sega the same way again?

And after that Halflife and Shenmue 2 fiasco I thought twice about buying their products.........then super monkey ball came out and I really need that game
Old 11-17-01, 06:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think they it's better if they focused each game on one system. That way the game is sure to use the strengths of that particular system, rather than being watered down to fit everywhere.
Old 11-17-01, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My first hand reaction to the question is "NO, Sega will never be the same." However, upon thinking about it, I think that eventually, YES, Sega will be a power. I do feel that it's going to take them some time to adjust though...

I look at it this way- Sega was the best and most original First Party Developer out there, with Nintendo running a close second. Well, now they don't have to spend money on Hardware R&D, not to mention the production costs. So in the long run, I feel that Sega will be a very busy and good game developer. Without having all the costs associated with hardware, Sega may have some cash to expand their line of original games, such as Samba De Amigo, Toe Jam and Earl, Jet Grind Radio and others... Maybe lifting the costs of hardware will allow Sega to revist such classic title lines as Outrun, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star (not online), Eternal Champions (LOL), Ecco, Panzer Dragoon (both the action and the rpg) and of course, BAKU BAKU.

Sega will survive, and even thrive in this environment. RIP, Sega, and Long Live the new Sega!
Old 11-18-01, 08:17 AM

I jsut want Shenmue, Sonic, and Grandia on all platforms---the big names.