Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

RE: X-box DVD functions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-01, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: X-box DVD functions

The lady at the store was trying to tell me that I had to buy something extra for the DVD feature? Is this true? It was a $20 component, so it can't add any functionality to the player, but then what does it do?
Old 11-15-01, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A REMOTE?
Old 11-15-01, 11:31 AM

In order to play DVD's on the Xbox it requires a remote receiver that plugs into a controller port.

All of the software is already loaded on the Xbox out of the factory, but in order to unlock it you have to have the remote receiver.

*Edit* - I've been told it has something to do with a license fee for the ability to play DVDs. I don't know for sure if that is the case, but if there is a license fee involved and MS is already losing money on the hardware, from a business standpoint this makes sense.

The majority of the Xbox's sold will never be used to playback DVD's. So why lose that license fee on every box sold. If that fee is rolled into the cost of an accessory then there is still profit to be made.

Just a thought,

-Naan

Last edited by Naan; 11-15-01 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-15-01, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Naan
*Edit* - I've been told it has something to do with a license fee for the ability to play DVDs. I don't know for sure if that is the case, but if there is a license fee involved and MS is already losing money on the hardware, from a business standpoint this makes sense.

The majority of the Xbox's sold will never be used to playback DVD's. So why lose that license fee on every box sold. If that fee is rolled into the cost of an accessory then there is still profit to be made.
-Naan
thanks, i thought they were just being greedy. now I don't feel bad about paying the extra $$$