Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Convince Me To Buy A Gamecube

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-01, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convince Me To Buy A Gamecube

Yes yes i know, countless threads about gamecube vs. xbox. In my mind neither seem to make a very strong immediate statement. All I see is that XB has Halo and GC has Rogue Leader. I have limited wealth, but I could get an XB if I stressed it, and I would rather have Halo than RL.

To get to the damn point, what has convinced all of you that the Gamecube is worth the purchase? I don't want abstract reasons like 'I trust Nintendo more' or it's cheaper. I'm talking purely about games/gameplay. Talk to me.

Last edited by Phyre; 11-11-01 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-11-01, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No.
Old 11-11-01, 02:55 AM

no what?
Old 11-11-01, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
"no" - nobody wants to convince you to buy a gamecube. Buy whatever you want. Use that "free will" of yours.
Old 11-11-01, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy a PS2.

Some Reasons:

Metal Gear Solid 2
Grand Theft Auto 3
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy 10
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance
Jak & Daxter
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Ico
Old 11-11-01, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Slug
No.
You beat me to it.

No.
Old 11-11-01, 05:22 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i agree, buy what the f**k u want to !

read up as much as u can to make your own informed decision !

if you really were gonna make a decision on how to spend your hard earned cash based on what people say in this thread, then your a wally
Old 11-11-01, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The Gamecube is Purple.

There that should do it.
Old 11-11-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm so damn tired of all these Xbox people saying "gamecube is purple...therefore it sucks"

I could care less about what freakin color the machine is, but if you don't like purple, there ARE OPTIONS.

It will also be released in jet black on the first day it's out. After that, a few months down the road it'll be released in several more new colors.
Old 11-11-01, 10:31 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
search for "The One and Only Why You Chose (blank) Console" thread, it should give you enough opinions to help you make a decision.

To sum up my reasoning.

Nintendo has always been my favorite developer, and Rare comes in a close second. IMO it doesn't get any better than Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Wave Race, Metroid, Banjo, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong etc. All these will be exclusive to Gamecube, you won't be able to get them anywhere else.

Resident Evil will be exclusive to Gamecube. Well tecnically the remake of RE1, RE 4 and RE 0 will be exclusive. RE 2, 3 and Code Veronica aren't really exclusive as they are basically just ports, and not total remakes like RE1 or new games like 4 and 0.

I've played both systems and the GC controller is very well designed, where as the X-box is way to big, like the Dreamcast controller than I've hated for the past 2+ years, and the buttons are slick to where your thumb could easily slip off. Plus the last two face buttons are really small and still slick, there was no reason not to leave them the same size as the others IMO.

Lastly, it's $100 less than the competition. I'm not forced to pay for crap like DVD movie capabilities, network adapters, etc. that I would never use as I already have a DVD home theater setup and I hate playing online games. I think I used my Dreamcast modem 3 times in the 2+ years I've had the system.

What it boils down to is what you want in a system, and what type of games you want. Do some research and find out which system has the most game you want to play that will be exclusive to that system. Most third party games will be on all three systems, so the best place to start is looking at first and second party games. I'll give you a quick, brief breakdown of what big exclusives each system currently has, this is not a complete list by any means, just a list of what I think are exclusive "system seller" type games/series.

Gamecube: First party Nintendo games, second party Rare games and Resident Evil.

X-box: Halo, Oddworld, Shenmue II (not a system seller, but still has a decent fan base).

PS2: Gran Turismo, Square games.
Old 11-11-01, 10:50 AM

Three words: Super Monkey Ball

Um, seriously, you should make up your own mind. For me, I just don't trust Microsoft. My wife won't stand for more than two consoles, so one of the three had to get the axe. X-box was it. X-box games so far don't look interesting to me at all. The only ones that look good to me are Halo and DOA3. Considering I'm not a big fan of FPS and DOA2 got old really quick, there's just not much there for me. What big franchises they are getting are either rehashes of old stuff from other systems (Tony Hawk 2x, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Tony Hawk 3 coming out next year, etc), second tier titles from major third parties (X-box gets Jet Grind Radio and Panzer Dragoon, neither of which is a financially successful series, while PS2 gets Virtua Fighter 4), or something that is out and nearly identical on every platform (Madden). They don't seem to have a focused strategy, outside of vaguely trying to eat into Sony's older target market.
Nintendo has a plan, they have history behind them, you know their first party games are almost always among the best, third party support is already ten times better than it ever was for N64 and looks to be further improving, they're aiming at both kids and adults now, and they've got Super Monkey Ball.

And of course, there's the choice of getting nothing at all, which might actually be a good idea in my opinion. I still have my doubts about the market holding three consoles. Holding off for a year or so will allow you to see how things are panning out. By that point it will be clear that one of the three systems is not competing. Personally, I expect that system will be X-box, but you never know, they could very well pull it out.
Old 11-11-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree with the no... I wouldn't take a gamecube if it was given to me. Well... I would take it and sell it right back and buy an Xbox. Remember the N64, if you are an older gamer, as in older than 15 years of age, dont buy the Gamecube, go with the Xbox which will have games actually aimed at an older crowd.

Gamecube - Mario, Donkey Kong, Pokemon

Xbox - Halo, Shenmue and unless I'm mistaken, Max Payne (might be PS2 though, I dont follow consoles except to hate Nintendo).
Old 11-11-01, 11:40 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I'm not forced to buy DVD capabliltes because I bought an Xbox. It would cost me 30 bucks if I wanted DVD capability.

Xbox is pretty much a bargain for the systems price. The PS2 is somehow still 300 smackers, and yet it doesn't come with half the features Xbox does.

The Gamecube is a nice system, but it is also lacking in the hardware department. Some people say they would rather have Gamecube because 1. It is cheaper, 2. Not forced to buy extras, and 3. If they want extras, they will be optional later.

Unfortunately there is a glaring flaw in that argument. Let's take the ethernet card for example:

When you include broadband in the console design, like the Xbox does, it adds at most a couple bucks to the overall cost. Ethernet hardware is dirt cheap, and in the Xbox it's integrated into the chipset so that makes it even cheaper.

Making it an add-on (like the GC does) makes it WAY MORE EXPENSIVE. Why? Because you have to pay for the actual component, packaging, marketing, storage, distribution, shelf space, etc.. Suddenly, the Gamecube isn't cheaper anymore when you have to pay for all the add-ons.

The point is the lack of built-in hardware, or the option of add-ons, decreases the amount of games that will use it, and is more expensive to buy down the road than if it was initially included. It also causes problems as game developers are forced into awkward situations regarding add-ons.

The Xbox gives you the best value for your money. MS takes the hit and we get the benefits:

1. A 8 gig HD: Don't have to buy a memory card. Just save to the HD. You can also use the HD for ripping your favorite tunes and the Xbox will incorperate then into games like PGR and Amped. The HD also speeds up loading times and it will allow for online updates in the future.

2. Hi-Def: Plug the XBox into your HDTV and enjoy the highest quality graphics out of all the consoles.

3. In-game 5.1 DD sound: Most of the XBox launch games support this feature. You will be able to hear who is shooting you in Halo from any direction. Voices too.

4. Out-of-the-box broadband: Also means no narrowband support which means no lag. Think about the possibilties of Online gaming. Jay Allard puts it best in an Interview with TechTV about XBox Online support:

"One idea that we can talk about is how sports will be going to become more live. Today's basketball experience is four on four. Imagine four guys on the couch having a good time. Now imagine five on five. Now imagine five on five with fantasy leagues. Now imagine adding the concept of a player as a coach that can bench their players if they are not following instructions. Every Thursday night, you and your buddies can get together for this massive online tournament on the XBox network."

The list really goes on and on. I could get into greater tech specs too, but I won't.

All in all, You may save money initially by buying a GC, but the Xbox saves you more in the long run.

But really, it all comes down to the games. If you like Rare games and Nintendo first party games, go with a Gamecube. Personally, I think the RE series is played out. Why would I want to play RE1 over again with better graphics when I already know the story line?

You will want an XBox if you like:

1. Microsoft 1st party games like Halo, Oddworld, PGR, Amped, and NFL Fever.

2. Sega games like Shenmue II, Jet Grind Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon, PSO 2, and Sega GT 2002 Online.

3. PC ports like Ghost Recon, Doom 3, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Max Payne, Black and White, Crimson Skies, Duke Nukem Forever, Giants, Half Life 2, Theif 3, Hitman 2, No One Lives Forever 2, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

4. Enhanced PS2 ports like Star Wars Starfighter, Silent Hill 2, MGSX, and GTA3. (If you haven't played them yet)

5. Other exclusives like Brute Force, Fellowship of the Ring, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Bruce Lee: Quest for the Dragon, Hunter the Reckoning, Project EGO, 32 player online Unreal Championship, Dino Crisis 3, and Dead or Alive 3.

I could go on, but I won't.

If you can't wait to play games like SH2, MGS2, GTA3, and TH3 then get a PS2 now. But if you are like me and don't mind waiting for the better versions of these games, then get an XBox.

Last edited by Flay; 11-11-01 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-11-01, 01:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Okay...odds are you shouldn't buy a system based on hardware specs or general suggestions from others. You should choose the system based on your own personal preferences...especially games. Lemme give you an exampe...I was debating between X-Box and GC about 6 months ago, then I started writing stuff on a piece of paper...under games I wrote Wave Race, Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, Madden 2002 as the games that I wanted right away...

I went on to write down Sega Games, Zelda, etc...and I realized that i didn't give a **** about an 8 gig hard drive if I couldn't play the games that I wanted on it. So I opted for the GC.

Other people are different, hell if you want Halo right away, you gotta get an X-Box...I personally don't, I only like playing FPS games on my computer...not on a console. The X-Box wasn't right for me, it didn't make sense...but for people to argue the specs of two machines over and over again is rediculus, because it differs from person to person

...as someone said before...use your free-will. Look at the games you like, and other preferences.
Old 11-11-01, 01:56 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Stoney
but for people to argue the specs of two machines over and over again is rediculus, because it differs from person to person
Not really. The system specs directly effect how games will be made and played. You can't say a hard drive or an ethernet card won't effect how games will be made for the Xbox.

That will just open up new possibilites to XBox games that GC and PS2 games won't have right out of the box. Why do you think Sony will be selling a add-on HD for the PS2? They don't want to be left out of the new games that can be made because of a Hard Drive.
Old 11-11-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Buy both.
Old 11-11-01, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
"no" - nobody wants to convince you to buy a gamecube. Buy whatever you want. Use that "free will" of yours.
Wow Im proud of you Trigger for once you had something nice to say

anyhoo man...yes buy what you want. In the end youll be happier knowing YOU made the choice, not us.

-zero
Old 11-11-01, 03:02 PM

here's an idea...don't buy either!

Wait until after the holidays and see what happens. The
prices could change, one could complain about low sales and cut
backm etc. There is no reason to run out and buy one the
day it comes out if you are not sure of what you want.

As you said, you have a limit on your cash that you can spend.
Make sure that when you spend it, you are sure you are getting
what you want.
Old 11-11-01, 06:00 PM

I doubt the prices will change even 12 months from now. And if I wait until the holidays the availability will be extremely low.
Old 11-11-01, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does the Shrek DVD and the up coming Zelda title have anything in common on the tech side? I read something to that effect somewhere. Cel Shading? I think that's what the article/post said.
Old 11-11-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I'm just putting faith in Nintendo to put out some good games. Simple as that.

Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
Zelda
Mario Sunshine
Wave Race
Eternal Darkness
Spy Hunter
Perfect Dark Zero
Old 11-12-01, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMHO, if this is the question:

Originally posted by Flay

Xbox is pretty much a bargain for the systems price. The PS2 is somehow still 300 smackers, and yet it doesn't come with half the features Xbox does.
This is the answer:

But really, it all comes down to the games.
With the recent PS2 releases as well as the ones coming up soon, I agree, it all comes down to the games. There are a lot of really great titles out for the PS2 now. Not that the XBox library won't grow, but nothing other than Halo looks that great to me as far as gameplay. The eyecandy is definately there though.
Old 11-12-01, 10:45 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flay
All in all, You may save money initially by buying a GC, but the Xbox saves you more in the long run.

Not if you aren't interested in any of the features, and won't upgrade when Nintendo puts them out. I can't afford a broadband connection, don't need one as I don't use the net all that much, and I hate online games so I won't buy the ethernet adapter. I'm also not interested in a HD. The only thing I'd use it for is game saves, and I rather just spend $30-$45 bucks and get 2 or 3 GC mem cards. I'm not interested in expansions or patches, if I was I'd be more into PC games, and I could care less about ripping cd's to make my own soundtrack.

At any rate, the point I was trying to make is that the GC is much more important for someone like myself that just wants a system to play games, and doesn't care about all the extra features the X-box has. For those that want those features, the X-box is a better deal.

Basically the decision comes down to looking at what you get with the GC for $199 and what you get with the X-box and PS2 for $299, and then, most importantly looking at the games and seeing which of the systems has the most games you will want to play now and in the future.

For me the GC was a no brainer. I just want to play fun games, and have no interest in the other features, and I love Nintendo and Rare games, and the RE series is a huge plus for me. The only exclusive on X-box that interests me so far is Halo and on PS2 there's MGS2 (which is rumored to be coming to GC), GT3, and Devil May Cry that interest me as PS2 exclusives.
Old 11-12-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Zodo
I'm so damn tired of all these Xbox people saying "gamecube is purple...therefore it sucks"

I could care less about what freakin color the machine is, but if you don't like purple, there ARE OPTIONS.

It will also be released in jet black on the first day it's out. After that, a few months down the road it'll be released in several more new colors.
I wasn't saying that at all. I just giving a silly answer to a silly question. I just think it's impossible for me to tell someone that a Gamecube is right for them. All the data is out there, the systems are available to demo and people need to try them out for themselves and decide. I was undecided myself until I tried out the Gamecube and Xbox for myself.

I had planned to wait on buying a Gamecube until next year, but I finally got to demo Rogue Squadron and I may have to cave in. That game blew me away. I still consider the PS2 and Xbox too expensive, but I can walk home with a Cube, Tony Hawk 3, Rogue Leader, and a memory card for $315 on the 18th. It's a no brainer to me. The Gamecube is just the best value for the money right now. The PS2 has more games available, but the Gamecube has enough games I want and a great outlook in 2002. I think I'm going to get a Gamecube now and a PS2 when the price finally drops in 2002.

BTW I found the Xbox to be very unimpressive with the exception of Halo and all I got to see of that was a movie. At least unimpressive for the price of the system and the advantages it has over the competition. It's still on my wait and see list, but who knows what might happen next year.
Old 11-12-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I agree with joshhinkle - I know, big surprise

But I have absolutely zero interest in playing online with my console. I have a fast computer, and a lot more options on what I want to play if I game online with that. Plus, I can play my friends, who wouldn't buy an X-box even if I did.

I am not interested in co-op, so that aspect of Halo doesn't interest me. My friends and I aren't getting together for long weekend video game parties like we did in college, so I'm looking for a solo experience.

I don't have a HDTV, and won't for at least another year or so. So that feature doesn't interest me.

Biggest thing is Rogue Leader looks so impressive, I've never been disappointed in a Nintendo system, and it's cheaper. So that's why I'm going with the GC. I'll get Halo if it comes out for the PC, and I won't if it doesn't. Not that big of a deal to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.