Reload this Page >

X-Box as DVD player? Get um' now

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-08-01, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for an X-Box?

EbGames.com has bundles up for sale, shipping on 19th of Nov.!!

It is a DVD related post, and only a "deal" when compared with eBay, but maybe it will help someone who wants a holiday gift (or a new toy). -z
Old 11-08-01, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's 4 days too late for some.
Old 11-09-01, 09:18 AM

Anybody who uses a PS2 or Xbox as their DVD player should be ashmed... go get a Toshiba SD1700 for $129 (look hard enuf and ye shall find).
Old 11-09-01, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Rhelic
Anybody who uses a PS2 or Xbox as their DVD player should be ashmed... go get a Toshiba SD1700 for $129 (look hard enuf and ye shall find).
Will this model play this great flick called 'Halo'?
Old 11-09-01, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Centurion
Will this model play this great flick called 'Halo'?
No, but sega just announced Shenmue 2 is a Toshiba SD1700 exclusive title
Old 11-09-01, 01:26 PM

I agree with your statement, however not many people are aware that the X-Box will offer progressive-scan playback - which the Tosh1700 will not. Not that I'm saying someone should buy this in lieu of a decent prog player, but there might be people out there who want the progressive capability and don't want to shell out another $200+ for a player after dropping $300 for the X-Box - just my two cents. I'm thinking of getting one myself - but for gaming, not movie watching.
Old 11-09-01, 02:31 PM

I thought you had to shell out like $30 more to get a remote that allows you to watch DVD movies on xbox. Knowing Gates, the remote probably allows you to watch only 50 movies before its licence expires and you have to get a new one.
Old 11-09-01, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
Not much of a bargain for what you get @ $330.

I might have shelled out the extra $30 if they had progressive output like they were saying, but at the last minute MS decided they didn't want to pay the liscensing fees, so they yanked it.

I'm hoping someone hacks it, because there's no reason it shouldn't do progressive output.
Old 11-09-01, 04:03 PM

dvddude,

I'm 99% sure that while Xbox has progressive output capabilities for games, it will not function as a progressive scan DVD player. I think that's what Eric F was getting at...
Old 11-09-01, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by no_creativity
dvddude,

I'm 99% sure that while Xbox has progressive output capabilities for games, it will not function as a progressive scan DVD player. I think that's what Eric F was getting at...
You are both absolutely correct. I too don't see why it can't output DVD movies in progressive scan without some kind of software hack.
Old 11-09-01, 07:27 PM

I'm 99% sure that while Xbox has progressive output capabilities for games, it will not function as a progressive scan DVD player
My bad, I hadn't heard that they scrapped this perk at the last minute. The last atricle I read was discussing it, saying that despite being a gaming console, it was what made it "stand out" a little better than the other consoles.

Either way, if the games rock on it, I'd like to buy one - but much like I do with any M$ product, I want to hear reviews from people who have had it and ran it through the mill before I go and buy one.
Old 11-10-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dunno.......

Game systems are for playing games. DVD players are for playing DVDs.......
Old 11-10-01, 10:01 PM

Porgressive was scrapped because of licesning fees.
Old 11-10-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 635 Likes on 445 Posts
1.) The Xbox Technical Support Rep told me that resolution on the Xbox is controlled by the Xbox HARDWARE and that the XBox can render ANY GAME AT ANY RESOLUTION UP TO 1080i. It has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAMES...

2.) HALO SUPPORTS 16:9 Widescreen play. PERIOD!

3.) The Xbox actually has PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD capabilities BUILT-INTO the system, but that the progressive scan function is turned OFF... and that there is nothing official currently regarding any future possibilities of being able to turn the Progressive Scan on, but THE HARDWARE IS THERE!!!
Old 11-11-01, 12:06 AM
Cool New Member

Michael, that first point you made is pretty rediculous. Of course the software determines the resolution. Just as with any computer, game performance takes a hit the higher the resolution goes. Sure, the support rep was technically correct that the XBox CAN render games up to 1080i, but each game has to be specifically programmed to support that resolution. I haven't heard of a single XBox game that does go to full HDTV, in fact, the only HDTV game I've played lately is Rogue Leader for the Nintendo Gamecube, which I have running at 480p on a very nice widescreen rig. I've been playing games at 16:9 since last Christmas with SSX on the PS2 (Gran Turismo 3 is ungodly at 16:9).

Halo supports 16:9 mode, but as every review we have so far has said, it runs locked at 30fps. That would be a hardware limitation. The version I played at E3 was incredibly jerky and no where near a constant 30fps, so it's nice to see that they've improved it.

The Xbox has a video chip and main processor just like every PC, and it's up to the developer to decide whether or not to run their games at 1080i. If they do, they're going to have to limit the number of graphical effects and other game-building concerns in order to do so, which will mean for the vast majority of consumers without 1080i hardware the game they run through regular composite cables doesn't look as pretty as it could if it were optimised to run at a standard resolution. The XBox doesn't have some magical setting which allows it to run any game regardless of code at any resolution.

The only thing that MS has been consistent about concerning the XBox is misleading statements. No developer has come within a mile of their "theoretical" 125M Polys/sec, they've cut their once-promised progressive function, and now encouraging retailers to bundle the system with three games, most often without a choice. Not only that, but every bundle includes a forced memory card purchase that MS once claimed would be unnecessary due to the included 10GB (no wait, I mean 8GB now) HDD.

I don't see the attraction to the XBox, and having played it extensively, I really don't think it's going to catch on. In many respects the Gamecube outdoes it. Of course, the XBox has its relative strengths as well, but it is by no means the runaway technological marvel that it was promised to be. It's roughly on par with the competition, and anyone considering buying it shouldn't be misled into thinking it's a world beater, or that it's going to get even the lion's share of AAA games. MS has the toughest fight of it's corporate life on its hands, and as with all things MS, I'm taking a wait and see approach.

I already have several DVD players, and so far, there's nothing on the XBox that makes me want to hold its controller for long periods of time. Just going to wait for the inevitable PC version of Halo that will actually support a mouse and keyboard, and include online multiplayer, as nothing else that's coming out in the next 12 months for XBox is remotely interesting to me. Of course, that's just my opinion, and if people are happy with the XBox games, then I'm happy for them.
Old 11-11-01, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rhelic
Why is that? Although I had a DVD Player 2 years before I bought a PS2 several of my friends have used the PS2 as an introduction to the DVD world..They dont have any problems playing DVDs on them either..in fact I read more posts about people saying this "dvd wont play on my Toshiba " and "this dvd locks up on my Toshiba" on this forum more than PS2 users
Old 11-11-01, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Deke Rivers

Why is that? Although I had a DVD Player 2 years before I bought a PS2 several of my friends have used the PS2 as an introduction to the DVD world..They dont have any problems playing DVDs on them either..in fact I read more posts about people saying this "dvd wont play on my Toshiba " and "this dvd locks up on my Toshiba" on this forum more than PS2 users

My Toshiba (SD-6200) has never failed to play any DVD.....
Old 11-11-01, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i didn't realize there could be DVD player snobs.

i've got three dvd players (two more if you count my dvd-roms in my computer and laptop). toshiba, multi-regional AND my PS2. it works fine. its called convergence. you might as well say your cd player should be separate from an mp3 player from a dvd player.

the PS2 isn't the greatest in terms of DVD features, etc. but it suffices for a quick movie and i could easily see it as my only player (although i agree that since regular DVD players are only $100, you might as well get a dedicated player).

re the xbox, i think its alright for the $30 remote/dvd capability. i bought the PS2 remote and that cost $20 and if you really don't care about using the console as an all-purpose entertainment system, than, it saves you some costs.

as for dvds and locking up, the toshiba 6200 may not (yet) have any problems but the older toshi's do. as well as other manufacturers. so do PS2s (check IGN's PS2/DVD glitch list).
Old 11-11-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Neil Bruce
Not only that, but every bundle includes a forced memory card purchase that MS once claimed would be unnecessary due to the included 10GB (no wait, I mean 8GB now) HDD.
I've seen some places list this as a 6GB harddrive, and others as a 8GB harddrive. Which is it?
Old 11-11-01, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just my personal opinion, but video game consoles are video game consoles and dvd players are dvd players.
Old 11-11-01, 10:07 AM
Defunct Account

And what DVD Bargin does this thread apply too....it's gone on so long, I've forgotten.

-Videophile
Old 11-11-01, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by young
i didn't realize there could be DVD player snobs. ...

Haven't been here long 'eh?

Seriously, I've never seen a movie played on a PS2. What's so wrong with it?
Old 11-11-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

its so weird that people would make it an issue that a console can play dvds.

anyway, nothing's really wrong w/ watching dvds on the PS2 except that the PS2's fan is relatively loud. you can't see time on it. using the gamepad for controls kind of sucks. its not progressive.

btw, i use my dvd player as a cd player too (retired my cd changer a while ago).
Old 11-11-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My DVD player can beat up your PS2 or Xbox anytime... name the place!

Trying to prove that one DVD player or Game Console is better or worse than another is pointless. The opinions and comments fly back and forth will ultimately prove more about those casting them about than which is a better DVD or Game platform.

I must admit, for once, there are some good points made here.

1. DVD player ability in game consoles (or computers for that matter) are great introduction to the medium.

2. There is nothing wrong with using a PS2, Xbox, or Computer DVD-ROM as your primary player as long as it works for you... who else matters?

-Beebs
Old 11-11-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are all wrong!! Haha! Only MEGASTATION is best! Neighbors flee, will beat all who stand, MEGASTATION power!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.