Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question RE: PS2 and surround sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01, 07:36 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Question RE: PS2 and surround sound

Ok, i know some PS2 games can do DTS surround (i.e. SSX: Tricky). but lets say i don't have a DTS receiver, just Dolby Digital. Now, i connect the PS2 to the receiver via optical cable. will i get any kinda surround sound even if it is just pro logic or will it only be in 2 channel stereo? Thanks!

--HN
Old 11-07-01, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the game is designed to output Dolby Pro Logic surround, then that should work. If the game doesn't explicitly support DPL, though, you're only going to get regular 2 channel stereo.

I believe the same will be true for Dolby Pro Logic 2. Rogue Leader 2 on the GC is the only game I'm aware of that currently supports that, however.
Old 11-07-01, 08:11 PM

You will only be able to get what the game supports. Never knew PS2 supported DTS for games (even for game movies). The game must explicitly support something.
Old 11-07-01, 08:13 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by belboz
If the game is designed to output Dolby Pro Logic surround, then that should work. If the game doesn't explicitly support DPL, though, you're only going to get regular 2 channel stereo.

That is GREAT to hear. I thought is was DTS or nothing (nothing being 2 channel only). Thank you!

--HN
Old 11-07-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far, there aren't any DD5.1 in-game PS2 games. NHL 2002 was the first with DTS 5.1 in-game. Some others have DD Surround in-game (Spy Hunter, Gran Turismo, and a bunch more). It's pretty cool to hear the cars coming from behind you. With surround sound & a 65" HDTV (using component) it definitely kills the arcade.
Old 11-07-01, 08:48 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by El Kabong
So far, there aren't any DD5.1 in-game PS2 games. NHL 2002 was the first with DTS 5.1 in-game. Some others have DD Surround in-game (Spy Hunter, Gran Turismo, and a bunch more). It's pretty cool to hear the cars coming from behind you. With surround sound & a 65" HDTV (using component) it definitely kills the arcade.
GT has DD surround in-game?!?
Today just gets better and better if that's true!

--HN
Old 11-07-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oh yeah

GT3 sounds awesome. Wait till you try it.

I bought the optical cable the other day cause I got a good deal and I'm so glad I did. I was debating it for some time but figured that I have the sound system, nice tv and PS2 I can't live without the cable. It was a very wise investment.
Old 11-07-01, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure, but I think there might be some confusion regarding DD vs. DPL going on here. Not that any of you asked, but I'm waiting for an auction to close on ebay so...

Dolby Labs offers 2 different audio encoding systems for consumers.

The first one is Dolby Pro Logic Surround which was developed in the late 80's and is based on a 2 channel analog system. It takes 4 channels left, right, center, and surround; and "blends" them into a regular 2 channel signal for compatibility with most standard stereo equipment. This DPL Surround signal sounds pretty much like regular stereo on older receivers, but with newer receivers that support DPL Surround, you could hear the 4 virtual channels.

There are significant limitations with this technology, of course, but it maintained backward compatibility and was inexpensive so it proved quite popular.

Then, of course, the digital revolution happened. Dolby began work on a system that they were calling AC3 at the time which was a digital 6 channel system. This would have ended up a fairly obscure technology like DTS, except that Dolby was able to get the DVD Forum to adopt AC3 (which they had changed the name to "Dolby Digital") as the standard sound encoding for DVD-Video; at least in North America.

Technically, DD is a very flexible format that at it's full potential can deliver 5 digital, discrete, full bandwidth channels plus 1 digital, discrete, reduced bandwidth Low Frequency Effects channel; hence the term 5.1. It's important to note, however, that DD is fully capable of delivering fewer channels. That is, audio can be encoded for standard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 5.1 channels.

And that's where a lot of confusion occurs. A regular stereo program encoded with Dolby Digital using 2 channels can properly be called "Dolby Digital." Just because something is called Dolby Digital does not mean that it has 5.1 channels. Okay, that's in the DVD FAQ and lots of DVD owners already know this, but I'm guessing lots of gamers are still unaware.

How does all this matter to gamers? Well, that's going to have to wait a bit, cuz the auctions about to start.
Old 11-07-01, 10:02 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah, well aware, well aware. That's why I was so shocked to read in the post above saying one of the games that had DD surround in-game was Gran Turismo. I'm guessing you're going to say it's only 2 channel stereo or pro logic ?

i was digging around and looks like sites are saying no DD surround in GT. Aww nuts!...but still not gonna deter me from getting the system and the game

--HN
Old 11-08-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Woohoo, I won the auction! I hate bid sniping, but everyone else does it so what's a guy to do?

Anyway, yes, I was going to suggest that GT3 was probably just DPL. But it was the reasoning behind it that was going to be so illuminating and delightfully interesting.

I'll spare everyone the finer points of what I was getting at, but suffice it to say this: Just because the output from the console to your receiver is digital, doesn't mean your multi-channel sound is DD or DTS. Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic II are both encoded into a regular analog stereo signal. If that analog signal goes through an A/D --> D/A conversion in the middle, that really doesn't make a difference.

If ever a game actually does use DD 5.1 "in game" for the PS2, I suspect the developers would crow about it just like LucasArts did when they used Dolby Pro Logic II for Rogue Leader 2.
Old 11-08-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many people actually have a receiver that does DPL2? I'll bet not many at all, IF any. Is anyone going to go out and buy a new receiver for something below that of 5.1? Doubtful.
Old 11-08-01, 01:44 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by belboz
Woohoo, I won the auction! I hate bid sniping, but everyone else does it so what's a guy to do?

Anyway, yes, I was going to suggest that GT3 was probably just DPL. But it was the reasoning behind it that was going to be so illuminating and delightfully interesting.

I'll spare everyone the finer points of what I was getting at, but suffice it to say this: Just because the output from the console to your receiver is digital, doesn't mean your multi-channel sound is DD or DTS. Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic II are both encoded into a regular analog stereo signal. If that analog signal goes through an A/D --> D/A conversion in the middle, that really doesn't make a difference.

If ever a game actually does use DD 5.1 "in game" for the PS2, I suspect the developers would crow about it just like LucasArts did when they used Dolby Pro Logic II for Rogue Leader 2.
Congrats on the win! Nuttin' wrong with bid sniping i reckon...

I'm pretty sure SSX: Tricky and NHL 2somethingsomething can do DTS in-game. i've read the boys at EA happened to figure out how to do (both are EA games). As for the extent of how much EA is toting their horn about it, i'm not sure.

regarding DPL2 and a new receiver.....nah, i'll pass. but i do like the add-on LCD for the Cube (but that's another story and thread).

--HN
Old 11-08-01, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
what's bid sniping?
Old 11-08-01, 11:46 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger
what's bid sniping?
Excerpted from http://www.worldint.com/journeys/ebay/snipe/ad/faq.html
How do I Snipe?
You Snipe an item by waiting until the final moments of an auction to get real serious about your bidding.

It takes much practice. Your objective is to take the item for the least amount of money possible. By waiting for the final moments of the auction, you substantially increase the odds that a current high bidder does not have time to counter your bid before the auction is closed. Snipers are never lulled into a false sense of security when an item does not have a bid. Often times, you will not be the only Sniper laying in wait to take the item.

A good Snipe takes a little preplanning.

First make a note of when the auction closes.
If the item has current bidders it is usually is a good idea to do some bidder history searches via the Ebay search page. In that way you may be able to establish what your adversary's bidding patterns are.
You should Synchronize your clock with Ebay's clock. This helps with your Snipe timing as you will be placing your Snipe bid just moments before the auction closes.
You also need to have a good idea about how long it is taking for your bid to reach Ebay and get its time stamp. Remember, when your browser loads the bidding results, much time can pass. The time it takes for Ebay to process your bid is dependent on traffic at that moment. There is no hard and fast rule to estimate this time however by refreshing your web browser you will have a fair idea of the time.
About 10 -15 minutes prior to the end of the auction, open up two web browser windows and go to the auction page. With one browser, place your bid and set it up so that when your stop watch or clock says it is time to Snipe, all you have to do is push the Bid button to send in your bid.

With the other browser, refresh the page every few minutes until the final minute of the auction, then start refreshing every 10 seconds or so.

When the time comes to Snipe you send in your maximum bid. A brave Sniper leaves 10 seconds or less on the clock before the auction closes. It is not recommended that you try to Snipe with less than 7 seconds on the clock. You may succeed in doing this more often than not, but by doing so you place your Snipe at risk of losing due to a sudden Internet delay. A sudden delay will cause you to send your bid after the auction ends.
--HN