Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alright fellow Dreamcasters, lend your experience and expertise to a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-01, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright fellow Dreamcasters, lend your experience and expertise to a newbie

That's right, I said fellow Dreamcasters. I just bought a system today, brand new for $52.50. Woohoo! My mom also bought me Skies of Arcadia for my birthday. Double woohoo! (Thanks mom.) Anyway, I've been doing some research and have a basic understanding of the different gizmos and gadgets, but I wanted to get your expert opinions on what I need for the best gaming experience. So, if you can take a few minutes to answer a newbie's questions, I would greatly appreiciate it.

1. I need another controller to accompany the one that came with the system. Is the original controller the best one, or is there another one that's better?

2. VMUs. Which are the best to get?

3. What are some games that you consider "must haves"?

4. My wife likes games along the lines of Mario Brothers. She doesn't care about sweet graphics or storylines (silly woman); she just likes good gameplay. What can you recommend for her?

5. What about rumble packs and things like that? Worth it?

Thanks all for your help. Can't wait to get started.
Old 11-02-01, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets get ready to rumble.

Ok I would suggest finding a VMU that has 800 blocks of storage instead the the regular ones that just store 200 blocks...they don't have a screen but I have never used the screen for any damn thing anyway. Sega makes an 800 block one and so does Performance...I have the performance one and 2 regular Sega VMUs....and I am out of space.

Ok as far as controllers go I have to say I like the Sega made ones the best. They just feel better in my opinion.

Must have games...here we go.

Sports: NFL2k2, NCAA2k2, Tennis2k2, World Series Baseball2k2, and NBA2k2...basically all...even the older versions are damn good and can be found cheap.

Fighting. Soul Caliber - awsome game, not my favorite personally, but it is an amazing game.
DOA2, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Capcom vs Snk, and my personal favorite UFC, I don't know why but I just love that game, it is REAL fighting.

RPG - Phantasy Star Online, Grandia II.

Shooter. Quake III, Unreal Tournament, Solder of Fortune.

Light Gun Games - Confidential Mission, House of the Dead 2.

Other Games: Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, Jet Grind Radio...god so many to list.

Ok as far as games for your wife I bet she would like Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, hell maybe even Jedi Power Battles.

There are so many games I don't know where to start, if you can narrow your likes and dislikes I could probably help better...
Old 11-02-01, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Get an offical sega controller for about $15. Thery are better then the thrid party ones.
2.Just get the sega vmu's which cost about $10
3.Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, virtual Tennis, Granda II
4.A good platform game would be Raymen 2 and Sonic Adventure
5. I havent used a rumble pack, but they could be had best buy for about $5
Old 11-02-01, 07:33 PM

Dude! Your mom rocks!! Skies of Arcadia is a hard to find DC game nowdays, but it is an excellent title. She must know her games if she knew to get you that game One thing that you really need for Skies is a VMU with a screen. You'll find out soon in the game why. It makes good use of it too. The bad is that it only has about 120 blocks I think. I bought a Nyko 800 block card and it works fine, then I put my VMU with the screen in the front socket, and the other in the back.

I agree with the games they recommended, its amazing how many high quality titles the DC has Another game that is sorta like Mario Brothers but not really is Sonic Adventure 2. Its kind of a platformer but is also kinda a racer, its in its own category really but a whole lot of fun. I think Rayman 2 would be what she is looking for. Another must is JGR!
Old 11-02-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Alright fellow Dreamcasters, lend your experience and expertise to a newbie

1. I need another controller to accompany the one that came with the system. Is the original controller the best one, or is there another one that's better?

Sega's. Third party controllers will be around for a while, Sega is not gonna be making any more hardware grab the originals while you can.

2. VMUs. Which are the best to get?

I bought a Performance cause it holds more, I figured I could put all my fighting games on one card but it failed so once again... get Segas.

3. What are some games that you consider "must haves"?

If you get Unreal Tournement we can kidnap Knightskywalker andd takeover a server. Great game and the online component nnever gets old.
Also...
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 - Old school Capcom fighter, right up your alley
Soul Calibur - The best looking game on the DC

4. My wife likes games along the lines of Mario Brothers. She doesn't care about sweet graphics or storylines (silly woman); she just likes good gameplay. What can you recommend for her?
Worms Armageddon and Crazy Taxi. My GF loves Sonic Adventure.

5. What about rumble packs and things like that? Worth it?

Bah, pass.

and did I mention Unreal?
Old 11-02-01, 07:54 PM

I would go with a first party controller; I've never had a problem with them.

I think the regular Sega VMUs are a waste of money; for the same amount of money, you can get one that holds much more information, although it won't have a screen, as KnightSkywalker already mentioned. I've never had a game that needed the little screen anyway, and I've never been interested in playing mini-games on it, so it hasn't been a problem. If you're interested in getting a Game Shark, keep in mind that it doubles as a 200 block memory card.

Some game recommendations off the top of my head... Sonic 1 or 2, Crazy Taxi 1 or 2, Virtua Tennis, Speed Devils, Hydro Thunder, Gauntlet Legends.
Old 11-02-01, 07:57 PM
Retired

I have to disagree about the controller. I think the best one is by far the Mad Catz Dream Pad, it's well made, and best of all the analog stick and buttons have a nice rubbery coating on them. My thumb always slips off the Sega analog stick and never off the Mad Catz one. Wal-mart usually has a ton of them, and they are really cheap now. This isn't just my opinion, all the reviews of this controller were outstanding and most reccommended them over the Sega one. I mean it's still a big, bulky, controller like the Sega one, but it's no worse, and actually is shaped a little more comfortablly.
Old 11-02-01, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Alright fellow Dreamcasters, lend your experience and expertise to a newbie

Originally posted by joltaddict

If you get Unreal Tournement we can kidnap Knightskywalker andd takeover a server. Great game and the online component nnever gets old.

You know whats sad? I think I have played Unreal on my DC about 5 or 6 times max...I just have too many damn_games to play.

You would probably take me to school in Unreal but I would own you in Quake III
Old 11-02-01, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I have to disagree about the controller. I think the best one is by far the Mad Catz Dream Pad, it's well made, and best of all the analog stick and buttons have a nice rubbery coating on them. My thumb always slips off the Sega analog stick and never off the Mad Catz one. Wal-mart usually has a ton of them, and they are really cheap now. This isn't just my opinion, all the reviews of this controller were outstanding and most reccommended them over the Sega one. I mean it's still a big, bulky, controller like the Sega one, but it's no worse, and actually is shaped a little more comfortablly.
I have two of those...they are great controllers. For awhile I liked them better than the regular DC controllers...then for some reason I got used to the old DC controllers and for some reason I like them better.

Both are great in my opinion.
Old 11-02-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Alright fellow Dreamcasters, lend your experience and expertise to a newbie

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
You would probably take me to school in Unreal but I would own you in Quake III
I have Q3.
Care to back that up?

I know what you mean about too many games, Ive barely touched SNK vs Capcom. When I only have a short while Ill grab it but when I got a block of time I been playing Conker. Still.

Last edited by joltaddict; 11-02-01 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-02-01, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alright fellow Dreamcasters, lend your experience and expertise to a newbie

I have Q3.
Care to back that up?

I know what you mean about too many games, Ive barely touched SNK vs Capcom. When I only have a short while Ill grab it but when I got a block of time I been playing Conker. Still.
One of these days...yes.

I barely touched Snk vs Capcom as well...but UFC on the other hand...boy-howdy...I am addicted to that one...
Old 11-02-01, 11:03 PM

As far as controllers go, my second controller is a PSX dual shock , no seriously, I got a Dream Connection 3in1 at Level Six and it works excellent for fighting games. I actually purchased it at Jandaman awhile back, shipped pretty quick and was cheaper. The only thing is that the 3 in 1 didn't have a memory card slot in it so I had to use the DC controller for games like Shenmue and Jet Grind Radio, but even though the DC controller is a little odd I forgot all about it while playing because the games were so good. I'd recommend the 4in1 they have because it has a memory slot. You can use your PSX controller, a keyboard, even a saturn one on your DC.
Old 11-03-01, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Way to go Boot

Welcome to the fold my friend, Now heres the deal if you paid close attention to any of my threads/posts youll know what im about to say is as good as gold. So here it goes...

1) I agree with everyone here Sega brand is the best way to go however if your dead set on having a true arcade button lay-out for your Capcom VS SNK needs go here buyrite.net.

2)Screened VMUs are awesome but if you can track it down get the 4X Sega memory card. It comes in handy with games like Jet Grind and Sonic Adenture 1 and 2. oh and dont pass up grabbing a mouse and keyboard....youll need it

3) must haves? glad you asked and here they go ( i will only post import games not available here *-import)

Soul Calibur
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Marvel VS Capcom
Marvel VS Capcom 2
Capcom VS SNK 2 Millionare Fighting 2001*
House of The Dead 2
Unreal Tournament
Jedi Power Battles (a MUST for Star Wars fans)
Dead or Alive 2
Virtual Tennis
Daytona USA
Jet Grind Radio
Quake 3
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3 Third Strike

I think that about covers it.....

4) Chu Chu Rocket
Crazy Taxi
either Sonic game

5) Yes rumble packs are awesome. I find they help with Crazy Taxi. Happy Gaming!!

Another random post from your friendly neighborhood

zero
Old 11-03-01, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't say much for the VMUs, controllers or rumble packs other than follow what everyone else has said. I've only used Sega products except the rumble packs (Interact) and they all work great.

I can help with games. There's a plethora of great games on the DC and the great thing is that they're all cheap. Here's my list of must have games or games that I got a good deal of hours out of:

1) Jet Grind Radio
2) Shenmue
3) Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
4) Any Sega Sports games (except WSB2K1)
5) Crazy Taxi 1 & 2
6) Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
7) Rayman 2
8) Armada
9) Mr. Driller
10) Daytona USA 2001
11) Ultimate Fighting Championship
12) Dead Or Alive 2
13) Soul Calibur
14) Guilty Gear X
15) Looney Toons Space Race
16) MDK 2
17) Bangai-O
18) Metropolis Street Racer
19) Test Drive: LeMans
20) Tony Hawk 2
21) Phantasy Star Online
22) Unreal Tournament
23) Gauntlet Legends
24) Samba De Amigo (need maracas)
Old 11-04-01, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sonic 1 and 2 along with Rayman 2 for the wife's style of gaming...
Old 11-04-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My gf loves Chu Chu Rocket and Space Channel 5.
Old 11-04-01, 06:24 PM

I cannot stress the importance of getting Grandia II. Simply the best RPG I have ever played. Pick up SA1 and SA2, can't go wrong with Sonic
Old 11-05-01, 03:49 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i'm getting a Dreamcast this week!
Old 11-05-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just want to add that one of the most addicitive games comes with the Dreamcast...Sega Swirl, a very fun puzzle game...
Old 11-05-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
Sega Swirl, a very fun puzzle game...
Sega's been ripping off Tetris for a while now, remember Dr Robotnik's Bean Machine?

Same game.
Old 11-05-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sega's been ripping off Tetris for a while now, remember Dr Robotnik's Bean Machine?

Same game.
Ah hell who hasn't ripped off Tetris...lord remember columns?

Old 11-05-01, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Original Desmond
i'm getting a Dreamcast this week!
Ok we need a new catagory. What games give you the squishy?