Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

TRU PS2 problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-01, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ricwhite
I think one confusing element in this deal was that the paper coupon had the limitations stated while the online deal didn't. I was browsing amazon.com when I came across the BUY 2 GET 1 FREE deal. I didn't read anywhere about the "CHEAPEST" item being free or, for that matter, any restrictions at all. I DID read the restrictions on the paper coupon, however, so I knew what they were. But it is very possible that somebody didn't know the restrictions if they were just browsing. Or. . . maybe they DID know but decided to take advantage of the online error.

So I guess it was an error on amazon's part, which certainly can happen. Amazon.com has what I believe to be a "GOOD" error policy; namely, to offer the customer a corrected price, or a cancellation. That is fair, in my opinion, and well within the law.

There is a very serious (and illegal) problem, however if amazon.com CHARGES something different than the invoice. They have a right to cancel any order they want. They have a right to change the price. But they don't have a right to charge your card the changed priced without authorization. Obviously, they know that.

Amazon cancelled most of the erroneous orders. The problem that amazon.com is facing is that some orders were already shipped - partially or in whole. What can they do now? Well, they can contact the buyer and explain the error and ask if they could charge more. I doubt they would get many takers on that.
On the partial orders, they could charge you the agreed price on the items shipped and then cancel the rest of the order. Other than that, they may have to "eat" the cost of the mistake.

As the saying goes, "we learn from our mistakes." Maybe what they will learn is never to offer another PS2 deal again. I hope not.

Agreed.....Amazon is facing a serious problem here with the different credit card companies involved. If people wish to push this issue as it seems they may...Amazon could be facing some serious problems from these credit card companies. Amazon will be the loser in this situation with the way it appears they have handled this situation. A store(online or B & M) cannot arbitrarily charge what they wish to charge for any given transaction. If there was an error which the store feels a need to correct, the first step they must partake in is contacting the customer to arrange some type of fix to the problem.

As I have stated before....people pushed this deal to the limit when they began using accessories in place of software titles but at the same time Amazon cannot change the amount on an order and submit this amount to a credit card company without prior approval from the customer. Amazon should have gone ahead and cancelled all orders which did not meet the "SOFTWARE" requirement and emailed the customer to explain why their order was cancelled. I am sure at that point though there would be a thread complaining about the cancellation of the orders......

As already stated by others.....for those in this situation....contact your credit card company and let them know the amount for the order and that Amazon has overcharged you for the order and is unwilling to correct their error. The credit card company will take it from there.
Old 11-03-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you actually checked with your lawyer? That seems awfully overkillish.

I mean, technically You and many OTHERS cheated the system. $16 for a game is a deal and a half..and just be careful
Old 11-03-01, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I work at a law firm and checked at Indiana Stat codes on a few things.
Old 11-03-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thunderball
Have you actually checked with your lawyer? That seems awfully overkillish.

I mean, technically You and many OTHERS cheated the system. $16 for a game is a deal and a half..and just be careful

I agree that they cheated the system with the stands and one game for this promotion....but it is still Amazon's responsibility to either obtain approval for the additional charge or just cancel the order and email the customer explaining why this order was cancelled.
Old 11-03-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jhiter24
Yeah, I work at a law firm and checked at Indiana Stat codes on a few things.

You would do better handling this through your credit card company.....
Old 11-03-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by djones6746

You would do better handling this through your credit card company.....
Definately. Threatening(or not) with legal advice is only going to upset Amazon....
Old 11-03-01, 04:55 PM

I totally agree. A lawyer won't touch this for fact that it is only $34 but I just wanted to make the statement that they might be going into fraudulent territory. ANd I do think that I scammed Amazon. I am not disputing that at all. I just disagree with their "don't tell and see" method of handling the price increase. ANd if anybody argues about the morals on this like I have heard, I wrote a 25 page business ethics thesis last year that would make you think twice about trying to get an extra $34 off an order. I have punished myself for trying this deal though so anybody still wishing to preach and punish on this subject cannot be as hard on me as I AM..........BAD CHRIS, BAD CHRIS!!!
Old 11-03-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by djones6746

Agreed.....Amazon is facing a serious problem here with the different credit card companies involved. If people wish to push this issue as it seems they may...Amazon could be facing some serious problems from these credit card companies. Amazon will be the loser in this situation with the way it appears they have handled this situation. A store(online or B & M) cannot arbitrarily charge what they wish to charge for any given transaction. If there was an error which the store feels a need to correct, the first step they must partake in is contacting the customer to arrange some type of fix to the problem.
Exactly
Old 11-04-01, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just quick update

gcribbs The $5.51 difference,may be for shipping. The same thing happened to me..but I have a lot of things "not shipped" yet and I'm not going to bitch too much over $5.51 when I got all this for a great price.

JAMPACK ORDERS are going thru! I got my first game from a JamPack Order today, and it was GTA3 $49.99, -$49.99 promo coupon. They are honoring them!
no company charges me more than I agreed to. It is i am sure a problem with the shipping. however it is their problem and I will not pay for it.

just checked my email and they are crediting me for the mistake.

Dear Gary,

Thank you for writing to Amazon.com and bringing this to our attention.

After further research I have found that this was an error on our part.

I've requested a refund of $5.51 to your credit card. This refund
should go through within the next few days and will appear as a credit
on your next credit card billing statement. We will also send you an
e-mail message to confirm when the refund has been processed.

I hope that this is a satisfactory outcome. Thank you for shopping
with
Amazon.com.

Best regards,

Paula Phillips
http://www.amazon.com

Last edited by gcribbs; 11-04-01 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-04-01, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

gcribbs: by chance did you order GTA3 or THPS3 on that deal? If you did, I know as of MOnday morning they took the free shipping off, so it was probably a problem there.

I may have to call them myself this week and get the $5 back. That's a meal deal somewhere.
Old 11-04-01, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

gcribbs: by chance did you order GTA3 or THPS3 on that deal? If you did, I know as of MOnday morning they took the free shipping off, so it was probably a problem there.

I may have to call them myself this week and get the $5 back. That's a meal deal somewhere.
do what I did forward your email receipt to [email protected]

let them know what you have been charged and what you should have been charged according to your email receipt that you are forwarding to them. why waste the phone call to someone when they might be stupid and say no.

emails are cheaper and easier and documentation for your credit card company in case you dispute the mistake

GTA3

Last edited by gcribbs; 11-04-01 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-04-01, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon may be finally starting to "ease up" somewhat. They have agreed to charge me $32 shipped per game which would have been the original price if I had ordered "legit". Since they have already sent me two Horizontal stands for free and refunded me an additional $5.46 that is pretty fair. Not the $16 per game but still fair! I'm closing the book on this one.
Old 11-04-01, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bmello
Amazon may be finally starting to "ease up" somewhat. They have agreed to charge me $32 shipped per game which would have been the original price if I had ordered "legit". Since they have already sent me two Horizontal stands for free and refunded me an additional $5.46 that is pretty fair. Not the $16 per game but still fair! I'm closing the book on this one.
of course they are starting to deal. what choice do they have. lose in a dispute or give in now for a lesser loss if the customer agrees to it.
Old 11-05-01, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gcribbs

do what I did forward your email receipt to [email protected]

let them know what you have been charged and what you should have been charged according to your email receipt that you are forwarding to them. why waste the phone call to someone when they might be stupid and say no.

emails are cheaper and easier and documentation for your credit card company in case you dispute the mistake

GTA3
Thanks, I'll wait till the whole order ships, and I'll add up my invoices against the email, and see what it boils down to.
Old 11-05-01, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gcribbs

of course they are starting to deal. what choice do they have. lose in a dispute or give in now for a lesser loss if the customer agrees to it.

If I remember correctly, a store can face financial penalties from credit card companies for overcharging on an order.