Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Microsoft and Video Games

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-27-01, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Microsoft handles servers for the Turbine game of Asheron's Call, which have gone down pretty much every month during patch time from some weird error or another. I can remember 2 MAJOR breakdowns of Microsoft servers where all worlds were down for days, in addition to every patchday for the past year being horrific bad.

They release Dark Majesty - first expansion to Asheron's Call. Immediately, their billing section of the Zone dies. And no one can get on to register their expansion pack. They post notices throughout the day "billing will return in 1 hour".... never comes online... "will return in 6 hours"... never comes... and it's been 24 hours and still not online.

http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=18484995

In addition, MS and Turbine add "speed altering detection". There's a program that fiddles with packets to make you move faster in game, which helps for player vs player combat, but it's obviously a huge cheat. So they install detection for it, which broke the network protocol somehow and we were down for DAYS. They tried fixing it... didn't work, everyone had mass lag and game was unplayable for DAYS.

http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=18335001

So their cheat detection flags about 13 people so far from various worlds who don't use it, and bans them. In addition, and very ironically, the people who ARE using the cheat don't get banned, and detection is apparently not flagging the actual cheaters:

http://forums.warcry.com/read.php?f=...&t=77743#77743

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, since you can call customer service and get the whole ordeal straightened out. But Microsoft support numbers point to their email, which in turn you'll never receive a response from. Trying to contact MS for technical support for a problem they caused, is like a Find Waldo from hell.

You see, Microsoft does have a video game history - the server hardware is iffy and breaks frequently, they seem ill-prepared for patches, their detection for cheats (or their attempt at it) fails miserably, and expansion packs not only don't implement well, would classify as a miserable failure. And worse, if you have a problem, finding a resolution is next to impossible.

Now I don't hate Microsoft, in fact I played Asheron's Call for almost 2 years. Hell, I logged in everyday. And the X-Box looks like a great system, but judging from their shaky history during my 2 years of play, I'm very hesitant to buy hardware with a Microsoft stamp on it.

If a retailer would offer some "extended warranty" where if my X-Box breaks I could walk in and get a new one while they shipped it off to Microsoft for repairs, then I'd buy IMMEDIATELY upon release. But relying on MS for my support is really shoving me away from purchasing this system. It really is.

Last edited by homeslice; 10-27-01 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-27-01, 03:34 PM

I can definitely understand your concern, especially if you've had to deal with the Zone! LOL

It's good thing you haven't played World War Online!
Old 10-28-01, 12:02 PM

Here's an update about Microsoft and the Zone. Apparently, the Zone ate several people's CD key #'s so if you purchased expansion pack, entered your key and nothing happened, you're totally screwed. Not only can you not reach Microsoft to resolve the problem, but you can't buy another copy of expansion and use that key. One example thread (out of several dozen):

http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=18532106

You can call tech support, but get directed to Microsoft email which no one ever responds to. Will Microsoft be handling tech support for X-Box's?
Old 10-28-01, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A lot of people don't want to hear it. Or maybe they're just sick of hearing it, but it's a pretty legitimate concern that the xbox may suffer the same poor customer service problems that other MS products have.

It may be that the xbox will work perfectly out of the box and never give anyone cause to contact MS Customer Service, but if there are problems, I would expect a lot of very pissed off buyers. There were a lot of very frustrated Ultimate TV owners when that service first launched and the number of users there won't even approach the 1+ million Microsoft hopes will buy the xbox.
Old 10-28-01, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
all i can say is wow and you logged in everyday. i would have stopped way before that.
Old 10-29-01, 07:35 AM

I logged into Turbine's awesome game. They truly did one outstanding job creating such an addictive and exciting game. Unfortunately, they chose Microsoft to handle servers, billing, and support for server/billing.

Microsoft wouldn't be bad, those problems wouldn't be bad... if only you could get help, or at least find a support person to talk with. You double billed me? No problem, I'll call and you can correct it. If however, I can't call because nobody's there to answer or I get the runaround, then it all starts to suck.
Old 10-29-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Microsoft and Video Games

Originally posted by homeslice
the X-Box looks like a great system, but judging from their shaky history during my 2 years of play, I'm very hesitant to buy hardware with a Microsoft stamp on it.
The problems with networked play isnt restricted to Microsoft. Do you have more confidence in a company without any first hand experience?

Seems to me that if anybody should know exactly what problems they are gonna have to overcome its gonna be MS before Sony or Nintendo.
Old 10-29-01, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Microsoft and Video Games

Originally posted by joltaddict
The problems with networked play isnt restricted to Microsoft. Do you have more confidence in a company without any first hand experience?

Seems to me that if anybody should know exactly what problems they are gonna have to overcome its gonna be MS before Sony or Nintendo.
Which is why Nintendo is still sitting on the sidelines with regard to net gaming, and I don't blame them. I don't think we're quite to the point where it's going to be hugely successful in the console market.
Old 10-29-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Microsoft and Video Games

Originally posted by Aghama
Which is why Nintendo is still sitting on the sidelines with regard to net gaming, and I don't blame them. I don't think we're quite to the point where it's going to be hugely successful in the console market.

Yeah. I don't think it's going to be very big until a lot of people have fast connections. Microsoft would have done better if they'd ditched the hard drive and the network connection, streamlined the physical shape of the console, and sold it for $199. It's got lots of goodies, but the look of the thing certainly doesn't inspire any sort of carnal, consumer lust in me.
Old 10-29-01, 08:13 PM

The problems with networked play isnt restricted to Microsoft
Well, network problems is 1/1,000 my concern. Bigger issue is the lack of ability for any support whatsoever when something goes awry, and their repeated screwups. One botched job is fine, everybody has a bad day, but showing incompetence over and over makes me worry about your overall value.

My questions are simply: Who supports the X-Box. If I have a problem, whom do I call? If the answer is the endless voicemail hell of Microsoft, then screw that.
Old 10-29-01, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by homeslice
If I have a problem, whom do I call? If the answer is the endless voicemail hell of Microsoft, then screw that.
When was the last time you called tech support for a console?

I think some of you guys just really hate MS. I understand that, as a geek and a tinkerer I feel some anamosity towards windows. But If all three consoles get a decent install base we will all win. Im getting both the cube and box. I know thats not an option for everyone but dizzzzaaaaammm! Give the box a chance.
Old 10-30-01, 08:30 AM

When was the last time you called tech support for a console?
So you're saying consoles have no warranty? If it craps out 31 days after I buy it, I need to just buy another one? Give that a break.
Old 10-30-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No... Im asking when the last time you called tech support for a console was. Ive have many consoles going back to the Atari. Ive been getting systems at launch since the Saturn. I have never called tech support.

Where do you get "no warranty" from that?
Old 10-30-01, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
I too have never called tech support on a console.

But as soon as you start dealing with online play, additional billing, credit cards, etc., you really need some customer service as well. I had no idea MS did so badly with this with AC.

And I agree about console internet gaming. I have a DC, but never once tried playing anything online. That's what my computer is for, in my mind. Plus, I have a much better understanding of how it works, and I'm not necessarily forced to use things like the Zone every time.

I doubt I'll ever want to hook my console up to a broadband line. I'd rather just have some friends over for a little console gaming.
Old 10-31-01, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by belboz
A lot of people don't want to hear it. Or maybe they're just sick of hearing it, but it's a pretty legitimate concern that the xbox may suffer the same poor customer service problems that other MS products have.

I have been playing Asheron's Call for a while now and have only had them bounce the servers one time. ONE time. I have had NO OTHER problems.

I know there were the billing problems with ACM, but so what? There were problems with Diablo II multiplayer, there were problems with EverQuest, there were problems every game that has a massive online presence.

I also can't believe the person who said that they think MS should not have put in the Hard Disk and NIC... What???? Are you kindding? This is obviously coming from a PS2 person... They must have hard disk envy...

Look people... MS is bringing us a console with a P3, Geforce 3, HD, 64MB, DVD, NIC, and awesome sound. All this for $299... Same price as the WAY OVERHYPED PS2!!! They are bring us 26 launch titles!!! 10 of those launch titles are 4* games, 2 are 5* games, and the rest are worth a look!

What more do people want?

Also, on the whole MS is greedy and wants all our money thing.... You don't think Sony is the same way??? Look at all the proprietary crap they put out! Here is this nice digital camera, but you have to throw away your compact flash memory and use out memory stick... Oh, the same goes for our MP3 players... Don't try to tell me that Sony is ANY different from MS...