Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox got Return to Castle Wolfenstein, plus 7 other games today

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-01, 09:32 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBox got Return to Castle Wolfenstein, plus 8 other games today

Before I get into the games, 1 other news bit. Ubi-Soft annouced Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon will be a console exclusive. There is a PC version obviously, but the XBox has the only console version.

1. Return to Castle Wolfenstein will be a PC port of course, but the PS2 had it as a console exclusive for a while. That changed today and the XBox version may include broadband multiplayer supprt.

Other games announced today were:

2. Brute Force: Microsoft has announced that the game is a futuristic third-person shooter where players assume control over a squad of mercenaries. At any one time the player will be controlling one of the squad members, while the three remaining members are AI controlled. With the tap of a button players can switch between the individual squad members, which include an assault trooper named Tex, a cyborg-enhanced sniper known as Flint, a stealthy scout called Hawk, and a powerful alien named Brutus. Additionally, at any point, players can also issue a variety of commands to the AI-controlled squad members.

The game's levels are based in four unique worlds. They are the volcanic moon of Shadoon, which is filled with magma; the desert world of Caspian, where several colonies and outposts are located; the Feral homeworld of Ferix, which has giant marshes and swamps; and the outpost of Shrike, a barren landscape hiding a myriad of tunnels and possessing an atmosphere that is slightly harmful to humans. A wide variety of weapons will also be available in the game. Weapons such as miniguns, sonic cannons, flamethrowers, and psychic blasts and accessories like stealth suits and infrared goggles are available in Brute Force.

Featuring a four-player multiplayer mode, Brute Force will be released for the Xbox in spring 2002.

3. SWAT Global Strike Team is a first-person tactical combat title that, according to Sierra, combines the strategic elements of SWAT 3 with the fast-paced shooting action of arcade games such as Sega's Virtua Cop.

In the game, players become a member of the Global Strike Team, which is established in the year 2020 to help countries and organizations around the globe resolve a variety of situations involving the protection and rescue of innocent lives.

4. Rallisport Challenge delivers a unique racing experience by combining four different types of Rally competition into one game: Hill climb, traditional Rally, RallyCross, and Ice Racing. Also, up to four players can compete simultaneously in the multiplayer racing mode.

The variety of race types in Rallisport Challenge allows gamers to experience traditional rally racing against the clock, as well as fierce, wheel-to-wheel grudge matches. Gamers will find over 25 licensed vehicles (with a few hidden surprises) from manufacturers like Audi, Citroen, Lancia, Ford, Subaru and Mitsubishi. Daring drivers can also take the wheel of the (in)famous Group "B" cars from the 1980s, which are now banned from real Rally competitions.

Rallisport Challenge will show swaying trees, animated crowds, animals avoiding your car's path, and realistic particle effects as gamers run through mud, dirt, snow and water. Vehicles will also show realistically modeled damage.

5. B.C.: From the makers of Black and White, BC is a hugely innovative action game set in a brutal, fully simulated prehistoric world in the shadow of a potentially devastating natural disaster.

It’s the story of an intense struggle for survival in a hostile environment governed by a food chain’s worth of violent predatory creatures. History is just beginning, but already the fate of mankind hangs in the balance as the embittered rivalry between man and ape is spiralling out of control.

BC unfolds in a dynamic simulated environment through which the player has unparalleled levels of interaction. The player must seek to unite the isolated factions of mankind and create and sustain a new tribal culture of his own devising. By learning to use the natural environment and developing the innate skills of each individual, the player can fight with all the tribe’s strength to defeat the simian race, rise to the top of the food chain and ensure a future for mankind.

6. Reign of Fire: The game, which is based on Spyglass Entertainment and Walt Disney Studios' upcoming feature film starring Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale, is an action-adventure where players can assume the role of either a human dragon slayer or one of the dragons.

Specific enhancements for the Xbox version will primarily be focused in the graphics department, as Bam promises that the Xbox game will feature advanced fire effects, detailed textures, and more realistic dynamic lighting. The game will also feature 3D positional sound, and its music will be reactive to the in-game action.

7. Moto GP: No info. I suppose it will be really similar to the PS2 version.

8. Wreckless: Activision announced a new mission-based racing game titled Wreckless that is exclusive to the Xbox.

"We are thrilled that Microsoft has selected Wreckless as a lead game for the first quarter of 2002 and that the game will be among the first wave of titles for the Xbox European launch," said Larry Goldberg, executive vice president, worldwide studios for Activision. "Wreckless takes advantage of the sophisticated graphics, audio and multiplayer capabilities available from Xbox and will deliver an incredible new experience for fans of mission-based driving games. The game lets players explore the mean streets of Hong Kong as they engage in non-stop full throttle action."

"With its outstanding graphics and compelling gameplay, Wreckless is set to revolutionize the mission-based driving genre," said J Allard, general manager Xbox platform and third-party relations. "As one of the premier titles for Xbox, we are putting full marketing muscle behind WRECKLESS to build consumer awareness for what we believe to be one of this winter's most anticipated releases."

A high suspense, fast-paced, no-holds-barred driving game, Wreckless immerses players into the unpredictable underworld of Hong Kong. Gamers can choose from two distinct storylines -- to be part of an elite task force assigned to take down the Hong Kong mafia or to become a high-level government agent trying to uncover links between the mafia and the police.

EDIT: 9. Commanche: NovaLogic today officially announced that their globally successful Comanche® franchise would be coming to the Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft, in late 2002. Comanche® will be the first title developed by the company for the future generation system.

Comanche® on Xbox™ will offer gamers fast and thrilling 3rd/1st person arcade shooting action, while flying the US Army’s next generation armed reconnaissance helicopter.

Taking advantage of the amazing technology offered by Xbox™, the game will include the most incredible graphics ever seen in a helicopter shooter, including dense foliage and realistic rotor wash effects on the ground and over water," Commented Wally Wachi, Producer on the game.

Along with a variety of missions in different world locations, the game will also include features such as power-ups and bonus items that can be discovered and unlocked throughout the game. As well as single player mode, Comanche® will feature standard console multiplayer options and large-scale online support, details of which will be announced nearer release next year.

Last edited by Flay; 10-17-01 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-16-01, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hopefully return to castle wolfenstein will be good. I have a problem with FPS on console systems... just doesn't fly well with me.
Old 10-16-01, 11:20 PM

I don't mind having a FPS on a console.
The only thing I don't like is having to use a videogame controller opposed to using a mouse/keyboard combo.

I still plan on purchasing Halo and Unreal Championship and I hope a 3rd party company makes a keyboard/mouse for the XBOX. Now that I read this thread, I'll be waiting for Return to Castle Wolfenstein as well.

For anyone who insists that I wait before I make judgement on using the controller for a FPS game.....it doesn't matter. There is absolutely no way you can duplicate the accuracy and speed of a mouse/keyboard combo when it comes to first person shooters. I would love to hear someone convince me otherwise.
Old 10-16-01, 11:37 PM

having to use a controller is what i was referring to .
Old 10-17-01, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, i'll have Wolfenstien for PC.. so no need for that one.

by the way.. wolfenstein will come in a limited edition tin.
Old 10-17-01, 09:47 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Centurion and mljones, Microsoft and a third party are both creating a special controller designed for FPS games. The last design phase I saw had a trackball on the controller with several more buttons than a normal controller. In size, it looked a great deal like that giant gamepad that came out for the NES a long time ago.

Supposedly, it will produce the same results as a keyboard/mouse combo. At the very least, it will be a step up from the regular controller.

Last edited by Flay; 10-17-01 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-17-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally posted by Flay
Centurion and mljones, Microsoft and a third party are both creating a special controller designed for FPS games. The last design phase I saw had a trackball on the controller with several more buttons than a normal controller. In size, it looked a great deal like that giant gamepad that came out for the NES a long time ago.

Supposedly, it will produce the same results as a keyboard/mouse combo. At the very least, it will be a step up from the regular controller.

Have any links? This is something that I always thought would be a good idea. A small trackball rather than a stick or digital pad to mouselook. If this is true it would be perfect for me as I have used a marble mouse for years.
Old 10-17-01, 05:12 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by SmackDaddy

Have any links? This is something that I always thought would be a good idea. A small trackball rather than a stick or digital pad to mouselook. If this is true it would be perfect for me as I have used a marble mouse for years.
Not yet. I saw a little news clip on it a few months ago. I suppose we won't see any more info on it until it is ready to be produced.
Old 10-17-01, 05:19 PM

different controller for 1st person games is made by Madcatz. It's called the panther xl it had a trackball on the left with 5 buttons a joystick with 2 4way hat switches, a pinky buttton, throttle and 3 other buttons including a trigger. ALL THOSE THAT SAY KEYBOARD AND MOUSE ARE THE BEST COMBO NEVER GAVE THIS A REAL TRY. Oops sorry bout caps. The products downfall was 1, no keyboard emulation so you needed specially configured control files. UT,Q@ and Q3 worked flawlessly. 2, After they sold original units quality changed and the trigger and other buttons would wear out. They were making another model but have shelved it to work on x box and PS2 models. Madcatz.com Great idea that died because of poor implimentation.
Old 10-18-01, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by drexel
different controller for 1st person games is made by Madcatz. It's called the panther xl it had a trackball on the left with 5 buttons a joystick with 2 4way hat switches, a pinky buttton, throttle and 3 other buttons including a trigger.
If the trackball is on the left, this controller will take MAJOR time out of my life just to adapt and get use to the control.
Old 10-19-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

3. SWAT Global Strike Team is a first-person tactical combat title that, according to Sierra, combines the strategic elements of SWAT 3 with the fast-paced shooting action of arcade games such as Sega's Virtua Cop.

In the game, players become a member of the Global Strike Team, which is established in the year 2020 to help countries and organizations around the globe resolve a variety of situations involving the protection and rescue of innocent lives.

DROOL. If they get Konami's Police 911 too, then it's going to be HARD for me to resist. If only PS2 gets both of these games, then I'm getting a PS2.