Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Hard Drive Downgraded

Old 10-11-01, 05:31 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xbox Hard Drive Downgraded

from www.fgnonline.com:

Xbox HD Downgraded

Microsoft has confirmed that Xbox will ship with an 8-gigabyte hard drive, and not the 10-gigabyte drive that was originally touted.

The company was forced to respond to several Internet reports saying that Microsoft had cut the disk size. Spokesman James Bernard said the firm had once mulled boosting capacity to 10 gigabytes but that the official specifications had always called for eight.

The Official Xbox Magazine's Executive Editor Frank O'Connor said that the slightly smaller drive would have no effect on developers coding for the console, due out on Nov. 15.

"If anything Microsoft should have been clearer about the specs, but it's still a ridiculous amount of memory to have. We've got Xboxes here and they don't need anything close to eight gig. They don't even need one," O'Connor said.
Old 10-11-01, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't bother me. As I understand it, I don't think any of the first generation games will really have much in the way of downloadable upgrades and whatnot. It'll start coming into play with the next series, including hopefully Asheron's Call 2 and others.

I do see mine getting partially filled with ripped mp3s -- set up your own soundtrack for some games = nice feature.

Tuan Jim
Old 10-12-01, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right, even if you're just ripping a few MP3 CDs for games and saving games, that's a lot of space. 2GB missing ain't that big of a difference, especially when there's 6 left.
Old 10-12-01, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nosebleed
Right, even if you're just ripping a few MP3 CDs for games and saving games, that's a lot of space. 2GB missing ain't that big of a difference, especially when there's 6 left.
8 left

Also - I seem to remember the original spec being 6 or 7 GB or something - I didn't know they were even talking about putting a 10 GB drive in there. News to me.
Old 10-12-01, 12:21 PM
Retired

I agree it's no big deal, I just figured some people might care. Personally I could care less about having a hard drive on a console. HD's are too unstable, and the only thing I'd really use it for would be saving games, and thus avoiding having to spend $20 on memory cards. I'm not really interested in patches, expansion packs, or that other stuff you can get for PC games. Unless someone comes up with a more creative way to use them for consoles, then I could care less about having an HD.
Old 10-12-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, see I had heard that they just downgraded the size, which didn't bode well for the launch being only a month away. But according to this article it's more likely that they've been putting 8 gigs in since they started production. No biggie, though it does make them look pretty silly.