Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How much better is the Dreamcast over the Playstation?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-11-01, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not interested in sinking hundreds of dollars into a Playstation 2, but now that the prices have dropped on some of the older systems, I'm seriously considering getting A Sega Dreamcast or Sony Playstation to play around with. I've looked around and found that I can get either one for about the same price.

I've heard that the Dreamcast is far superior to the Playstation. Is this true? On the other hand, it seems that used Playstation games are much more available than Dreamcast games.

I haven't had a gaming system in years, but my preference is RPGs while my wife prefers more arcade type games. Which system do you think I'd be happier with?
Old 10-11-01, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dreamcast is definitely the more superior system; it just came out two years ago. For RPG's you'll want to go with the Playstation, since the DC only has two really good ones (Grandia II & Skies of Arcadia) while the PSX has many (Final Fantasy VII-IX, Wild Arms, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Alundra, etc...).

What exactly do you mean by "arcade"? That term doesn't mean what it did a few years ago.
Old 10-11-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Aghama
What exactly do you mean by "arcade"? That term doesn't mean what it did a few years ago.
I mean games like Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong, stuff like that (can you tell it's been a while since I've been into this stuff? )

I did not know that about the lack of RPGs with the Dreamcast. I'm glad I asked. In general, are there a lot more games available for the PS?
Old 10-11-01, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, if you're looking for 2D platformers, you're probably talking about the Playstation again. Castlevania: SotN, Klonoa, Metal Slug X, Tomba! to name a few. And yes, the Playstation library is massive.
Old 10-11-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Final Fantasy VII-IX
Old 10-11-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Hey, I wasn't too crazy about VII or VIII either (though I loved IX), but you have to admit that a lot of people do like them. I tried to give a somewhat objective answer.
Old 10-11-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of course the PS has a bigger library, cause it lived a lot longer then the DC.

The DC does have like Sonic and Raymen2 which you can buy for less then $20

I would say get a DC though just because the stores are getting rid of them. The Playstation games will still be available because its compatable with the PS2.

What about an snes? They have RPGs and your Mario's. Of couse it might not be easy to find. or you could try out the roms.
Old 10-11-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I wasn't too crazy about VII or VIII either (though I loved IX), but you have to admit that a lot of people do like them. I tried to give a somewhat objective answer.
This is true..

I loved Wild Arms though, pure simple fun. And Breath of Fire 3 is pretty awesome as well.. anybody tried BoF 4?
Old 10-11-01, 02:59 PM

Don't forge the DC has online capability which greatly enhances the gaming experiences. And while the DC only has a few RPG's, it has the only online RPG for a console, Phantasy Star Online, which is more like Diablo.
Old 10-11-01, 03:48 PM

Both the Dreamcast and PS2 are really great systems.

Because the Dreamcast was released first, I think it has the largest number of "must-own" titles, including great old-school action games like Bangai-O, Mr. Driller, and San Francisco Rush 2049. For the most part, the Dreamcast has bright, colorful, smooth-looking games with fast-moving sprites and a high 'fun factor'. Games are also VERY inexpensive.

But -- what you see is what you get. If you want to keep playing new games, you're best at springing for one of the new consoles, like PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube. (all promising)

In my opinion, games like Crazy Taxi and Rayman are superior on the Dreamcast (than on PS2). Not because the hardware is superior, but because developers/programmers are just beginning to learn how to "milk" the system. And now we're getting games like ICO and Kloana2 which really raise the bar.

I got my dreamcast for free, and I've been picking up games at a steady rate every since. This library is enough to hold me. But if I were to BUY my own system, I'd have a tough time deciding: Inherit an already fantastic (but finite) game library with many inexpensive games, or buy a console with future promise of even better titles?

~Steve
Old 10-11-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

MAME for the dreamcast works like a charm. That'll give you all the arcade games you can handle.(Including Donkey Kong)

D
Old 10-11-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dreamcast is superior to Sony Playstation, hands-down. Play Tony Hawk on the two, and you'll want to puke after playing PS1's version. The graphics on the DC are great.
Old 10-11-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are the advantages of a DC compared to a PS2:

Price, the thing is so damn cheap right now and so are the games. You can get a DC and 10 games for the price of just the PS2.

Games. Right now the DC has the best library of any system out there, with a ton of must own games.

Online. You can play someone online now, you don't have to wait for an external modems.

Here are the disadvantages.

It is a dead system. No more games after the end of this year pretty much.

PS2 is more powerful. While the DC can do some pretty amazing things, and most of the later titles can rival or beat first gen PS2 titles, the PS2 is more powerful and will best the DC graphically.

Personally I think the pros outwiegh the cons, you can get a DC for really cheap and some great games really cheap. You can also find used games online for a pretty damned good price.
Old 10-11-01, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dreamcast kills PSX and some people say Dreamcast kills PS2 as well. I would buy a Dreamcast with the following games:

Soul Calibur
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Skies of Arcadia
Samba De Amigo
Sega GT
Power Stone 2
Jet Grind Radio
Space Channel 5
Chu Chu Rocket
Shenmu
Crazy Taxi 2
All Sega sports games
etc.

Check out Dreamcast.IGN.com for more games!
Old 10-11-01, 10:49 PM

This is probably a pretty dumb question but Iwas wondering if they are even still making games for the original Playstation. Thanks.
Shawn
Old 10-11-01, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well since there are so many more games and the games can be played on a PS2 if you upgrade I would go with the PSX. the dreamcast is a better system, but it is being killed off and game development will be done in a month or two it seems.
Old 10-11-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gogia21
This is probably a pretty dumb question but Iwas wondering if they are even still making games for the original Playstation. Thanks.
Shawn
yes. it has slowed down ,but games are still being produced. it has a huge installed base which helps explain why.
Old 10-12-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hands down, get the dreamcast.

As I see it:

Pros of Dreamcast:
Much, much better graphics, very close to PS2 graphics.
Tons of emulators specifically for the dreamcast to emulate other systems -- best of all, there's Bleemcast!, so you can play PS1 games on the dreamcast in better resolution.
Online gaming available.

Cons of Dreamcast:
Funky controller, some add-on controllers and such may be hard to find before long.
New systems (after Jan 2001) won't read CD-ROMs (which means, no piracy, no MAME).
Old 10-12-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another vote in for dreamcast.

True the Playstation has tons of games (but manny of them are crap)

The Dreamcast has a surprising amount of games and tons of hit titles.
Old 10-12-01, 12:17 PM
Retired

Graphically, I'd say the DC is as much better than the PSX as the Super NES was to the NES.

The other advantage is that there is a great line-up of really innovative games. The PSX line-up basically has a few great games, with a ton of knock-offs for each one, IMO.
Old 10-12-01, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by einTier
best of all, there's Bleemcast!, so you can play PS1 games on the dreamcast in better resolution.
Whoa...what is this? If I can play Playstation games on the Dreamcast, then this decision seems to be a no-brainer. Details, please.
Old 10-13-01, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
www.bleem.com

Ehh, sort of. Bleemcast is only available for three PS games right now, GT2, Tekken 3, and MGS. They are working on more. You should get a DC anyway.
Old 10-13-01, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ah. bugger. I thought it was like bleem! for PC -- flawed, but almost as good as having a playstation, and in some ways better.

well, then, you have a real problem on your hands. I'd probably get the PSX, but only because I know how to pirate the PSX games, and the library is much more vast. If I really want quality, I'll either play on PC or my PS2.

But, that's a question you'll have to ask yourself. If you lived in Austin, I could direct you to a place where you could try both systems out at your leisure with just about any game and decide from there...
Old 10-13-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think a lot of people who have responded to this thread are thinking of their own personal preference, which for them is the DC. I like DC, but for RPGs, PSx is definitely the choice. Not only do you have the RPGs Aghama listed, but Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve (sort of an RPG/Adventure mix), and the older NES games if you want them (FFV and FFVI are in FF Anthology and FFIV and Chrono Trigger are in FF Chronicles).

However, if you want the wife to be happy, might wanna grab for a DC. PSx does have an extensive library, including 'arcade' games. I think the following links might help you out ...

Playstation RPGs - http://psx.ign.com/genre_lists/rpg.html

DC RPGs - http://dreamcast.ign.com/genre_lists/rpg.html

I would post PSx and DC 'arcade game' links, but there's no such link available. If you want, check out IGN.com and the different categories they separate games into. I think by arcade, you would probably want to look for Platform and adventure games. Good luck!
Old 10-15-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boot if ya get a DC you can get Quake or Unreal plug a phone cord in and come find me and unleash some violence.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.