Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Time for an Everquest thread (Luclin based)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disclaimer- I am well aware that EQ is run by commy nazies who will kill you to get what they want and full of guides who couldn't get a clue if it bit them in the ass. Verant only wants my money and couldn't care less what I think of their products and adding to that fact, they make enough money that if I and everyone I know quits, they couldn't care less. - Disclaimer

After quitting Everquest on 3 occasions since it came out - twice for school, once after losing corpse, I am considering going back as a casual player, twink myself up a bit, join a guild and power level myself to 30. I'm not going back for the EQ experience mind you, but because of the new expansion that's coming out which should make EQ (finally I might add) a game with stunning graphics instead of the crap it has now. From the pictures I've seen, it looks fantastic, but I am wondering some things which I can't find the answers to.

The questions are all related to Luclin and how it will affect the rest of the world. Will Luclin basically be the only place where you have better graphics and textures? Can that horse be brought to the rest of the world? If Luclin was a major overhaul and updated the graphics in all the Everquest world, it would be fantastic, but I'm afraid that it will simply be on that expansion pack only. If this is the case and they leave the rest of the world as ugly as it is now, Luclin will contain around 75% of the total players on the server with around 25% left over Norrath, Kunark and Velious which would ruin the balance even more than it is now (Norrath is always empty). Will my getting armor on Luclin which is actually a piece separate from my body and not just added textures over it remain once I go back to Norrath?

So, does anyone know how this will be handled? Will Luclin basically be the icing on the cake and the rest left to rot or will the entire game go through the overhaul is so very needs.

I should point out, I've played Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot and Asheron's call, but they are not as good as EQ for these reasons :

Asheron's - Too old, AC 2 might be better than EQ
Anarchy - It's probably the worst POS out there and even if everything was fixed, I would probably never return
Dark Age - Too young, not enough content, give it a year, will go places, but will never dethrone EQ since it's been around too long.
Old 10-02-01, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont have definates, but I'm pretty sure Horses stay in Luclin and Luclin is the only area with the new graphics (which IMO suck =\, I HATE the new characters, I like how I look dammit!)
Old 10-03-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update from an IRC chat last night with Absor, Araduen, Abashi, Lawrence Poe, Yakatamza, Ester the Tester, Rowl and a few others...

Player character graphics will be in old and new worlds, and they will be player selectable. If you dont like them, don't use them (which I probably wont). A few mobs will have graphic overhauls in the old world (namely summonable mobs like elementals and skeletons).

As for horses, well, they answered just about every question you can think of about horses except whether or not they can go to the old world..
Old 10-03-01, 11:13 AM

Hmmm, after learning yesterday of the new RPG server (total RPG, no talking to other races, no joining with other alignements, no drop items all tradeable), I think I will return, that server will be the greatest thing imo for Everquest. Think of the reality, you can make 1 char only, you can't talk to anyone but your own race, learning their lanquage is nearly impossible (or very tedious), no auctions except in cities, mages cant bind anywhere but cities either now, no joining good & evil parties. Trading no drop items meaning you can actually sell everything (except epics and a few other exceptions), no casting buffs on anyone 20 levels under you, no guilds with other alignements and races, etc...

If anything will make the Everquest experience good for me, it's this, and add Luclin to the mix and EQ might just be fun again!
Old 10-06-01, 04:27 PM

Is this the same game where people pay like a grand on ebay for a house in the game or something?
Old 10-06-01, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tygloalex
Is this the same game where people pay like a grand on ebay for a house in the game or something?

Yup.
Old 10-07-01, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Thunderball

Yup.
Hum... no, Everquest doesn't even have houses and never will have houses.
Old 10-07-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You might be thinking of Ultima Online, where houses and stacks of gold and what not sold for mad.

However, those people from UO that were doing that moved over to EQ and used to sell equipment and characters like crazy on Ebay as well. Sony/Verant did a big crack down on it though, since they're against it and started banning people who they knew were sold, and got in touch with Ebay and basically threatened to sue them if they allowed those auctions, and well, Sony's a big company to take on . They're still up off and on, but VERY rarely and generally dont last more than a day.