Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Whos getting Silent Hill 2 next week?! (9-25)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-01, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this game is one of the reasons why i bought my PS2, along with the hope for a RE4. Silent Hill 2 finally is coming on Tuesday and i cant wait. My PS2 is finally gonna get some constant use.
Old 09-21-01, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got it ordered from Amazon.com with a coupon so I will have to wait a few days after release to get it (amazon.com is so frickin' slow) but I am very much looking forward to this. Hopefully I can complete RE:CV before it gets here.
Old 09-21-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This one is a "maybe" in my book. I wasn't a really huge fan of the first one, and the 2nd one has more of the same.

The little demon kids in the school really bugged me for some reason
Old 09-21-01, 11:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My jaded-on-video-games friend raves about SH1, so I will at least be renting this one. SH2 or Spy Hunter... hmm.... tough choice.
Old 09-21-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
wow, all you guys must be very special getting this game next week. it's not being released until November 23rd.

http://www.fgnonline.com/playstation2/news/20008.html

Silent Hill Given Solid Date

PlayStation 2: Konami has announced that the PS2 version of the terror-fest that is Silent Hill 2 will be released on Nov. 23.

Just in time to scare the pants of you this Thanksgiving, the highly anticipated Silent Hill 2 will launch on Nov. 23, according to the U.K. arm of the company.
Old 09-21-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Notice that it says UK arm of the company. This is obviously the UK date incorrectly made into a US date. Silent Hill 2 is still coming next Tuesday. I will not be getting it, will probably splurge on ICO though. Spy Hunter does not excite me either after the demo. Too bad Soul Reaver 2 was pushed back to October...it and Devil May Cry will be my purchases for that month.
Old 09-21-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by AgtFox
Notice that it says UK arm of the company. This is obviously the UK date incorrectly made into a US date. Silent Hill 2 is still coming next Tuesday. I will not be getting it, will probably splurge on ICO though. Spy Hunter does not excite me either after the demo. Too bad Soul Reaver 2 was pushed back to October...it and Devil May Cry will be my purchases for that month.
Uhhhh, dude, my distributors have been told it's been pushed back to November. I guess we'll see next week.
Old 09-21-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17
Uhhhh, dude, my distributors have been told it's been pushed back to November. I guess we'll see next week.
Certainly not saying you're wrong, but with it being a UK source it is at least questionable. I have seen no action on the major on-line outlets yet. Honestly, I don't care if it comes out because I'm not getting it anyway .
Old 09-21-01, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball

The little demon kids in the school really bugged me for some reason
Yeah, something about little demon kids with knives creeping around a school in almost pitch black really freaked me out. I liked how they chose regular settings such as a school and a hospital which make some pretty scary area's at night when you can only see 2 feet in front of you.

This game is looking pretty good, I liked the original though I only rented it, and after checking out the trailer for SH2 I'm definitely going to check this one out, probably rent it first as I'm saving my cash for MGS2.
Old 09-21-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Whos getting Silent Hill 2 next week?! (9-25)

Originally posted by thegame370
Well, this game is one of the reasons why i bought my PS2, along with the hope for a RE4.
Well, then SH2 is now the ONLY reason you bought a PS2 as Capcom has announced that RE4 and all other RE games for the forseeable future will be GC-only titles. An unbelievably stupid decision IMHO, but that's the way it'll be. I'll be happy with Devil May Cry, I think. Besides, I never liked "driving" my characters around Racoon City anyway, and the franchise has gotten kinda stale by now.
Old 09-22-01, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Re: Whos getting Silent Hill 2 next week?! (9-25)

Originally posted by Decker

Well, then SH2 is now the ONLY reason you bought a PS2 as Capcom has announced that RE4 and all other RE games for the forseeable future will be GC-only titles. An unbelievably stupid decision IMHO, but that's the way it'll be. I'll be happy with Devil May Cry, I think. Besides, I never liked "driving" my characters around Racoon City anyway, and the franchise has gotten kinda stale by now.
Trust me this is the video game business after the lackluster japanese Gamecube release do not be surprised if Capcom makes an announcement around XMas letting fans know that they have heard them so they will be making their games available for the 20 million unit selling PS2. Capcom is in the business to sell games so unless Nintendo is paying them more than they could make with a release to the PS2 they will release it.

The time of releases being exclusive forever is past i think. you can make far more money releasing first to your preferred system then porting it over to the other and selling to them also with a change or two to make it seem new of course
Old 09-22-01, 07:08 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Huh, see I heard that most of capcoms realeases will be multi platform... or maybe that was just the fighters? I dunno, I never played the first Silent Hill, so I doubt I will be playing this one... though i saw the trailer for it at my local EB and it looks pretty cool. I think I'm holding my cash for Devil May Cry, MGS2, Final Fantasy X and Spy Hunter .

Todd

PS. No way am I getting a GC at launch either, I think I'm gonna wait till Soul Calibur 2 or Perfect Dark Zero .
Old 09-22-01, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Herre's a link to the story that says RE will be exclusive to Nintendo. It says it's not necessarily forever, but at least for 6 games. The series will probably be dead by that time. My friend had one of the first ones, and I just got Veronica for PS2, and can't see what's so great. Akward controls, lame fighting- you can't see the bad guys till there right next to you, then they grab you. Onimusha was 100 times better. Was Silent Hill a gun game in the arcade? If so, how will it translate to a controller (Silent Scope? sucked). If it's not, are the controls at least better than RE- being able to move & react faster?
Old 09-22-01, 02:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

Silent Hill is NOTHING like Silent Scope... if you were to compare it to anything, you could compare it to Resident Evil, although I've heard the tone of the two series... hmm, what's the plural of series?... are different.
Old 09-22-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Whos getting Silent Hill 2 next week?! (9-25)

Originally posted by Decker

Although ive eventually heard this also, im not taking it too seriously. I doubt that that capcom will just make the RE series only on Gamecube, they know thats a sucky idea. We'll wait and see.
Old 09-22-01, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is what i got from this game news website i go to:

Cube Terror Explained

Resident Evil: Capcom's Shinji Mikami has explained that the recently announced Gamecube versions of early Resident Evil titles will be straight ports.

Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code: Veronica will be nothing more than ports of the original version, with an obvious graphical overhaul.

Creator Mikami has told the Japanese press that it would not be practical to completely remake the older titles.

Hope that sheds some light on the situation.
Old 09-23-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by michael_sharma
Silent Hill is NOTHING like Silent Scope... if you were to compare it to anything, you could compare it to Resident Evil, although I've heard the tone of the two series... hmm, what's the plural of series?... are different.
I wasn't asking if the games were similarly themed, just if Silent Hill was a shooting/gun game in the arcade? I might be confusing it with another haunted house type shooter. I thought Silent Scope sucked using a controller and wondered if Silent Hill would be the same.(if a shooter).
Old 09-23-01, 09:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

You're confusing it with "House of the Dead," which was a first-person shooter. "Silent Hill" was never (as far as I know) in the arcades, and it is a third person game similar to the "Resident Evil" series.

I really liked "Silent Scope," but I just didn't see how it could translate well to a home console.
Old 09-24-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're right, it was House Of The Dead.
Old 09-25-01, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Comes out today and Gamespot review

See Deftones, I told you it would be out on Tuesday. The story was recanted and the November date is the UK release. I may not work in a video game store, but I do keep up on things. If your distributors pushed the date back, that sucks.

There is a review of SH2 up on Gamespot, they gave it a 7.7 (not good, glad I'm not getting it). Too much hype has hurt this game, I fear the same for Devil May Cry, although PSM gave it a 10 this month and gave ICO and SH2 7s. Here is the Gamespot review:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...437029,00.html
Old 09-25-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Comes out today and Gamespot review

Originally posted by AgtFox

See Deftones, I told you it would be out on Tuesday. The story was recanted and the November date is the UK release. I may not work in a video game store, but I do keep up on things. If your distributors pushed the date back, that sucks.
hey, i'm just telling you what i'm hearing from distributors that backed up what that website says. games are notoriously bad about keeping strict release dates. 99% of the time, my distributors are right. occasionally they are wrong.
Old 09-25-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Comes out today and Gamespot review

hey, i'm just telling you what i'm hearing from distributors that backed up what that website says. games are notoriously bad about keeping strict release dates. 99% of the time, my distributors are right. occasionally they are wrong.
This is the problem with the internet, something can be construed incorrectly . It's no big deal, I just know SH2 is out as several people already have it. I hope you get it in time too as I'm sure it will sell well.
Old 09-26-01, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Those losers at FedEx lost my signature release form(meaning they could leave it on my doorstep) so now I have to wait until tomorrow to get it. It's not that the game is that important, it's just that things like that hack me off.
Old 09-27-01, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Comes out today and Gamespot review

Well they were wrong this time, i got it exactly on the 25th