Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Lovin' the PC "classic game" bargains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-01, 02:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lovin' the PC "classic game" bargains!

I didn't game on my PC a whole lot during the last four years, and now I am looking at the bargain PC game "recent classics" and drooling...

Descent: Freespace - $10
X-Wing (enhanced graphics, plus all mission packs) - $10
Tie Fighter (enhanced graphics, plus all mission packs) - $10
X-Wing Alliance - $15
Jedi Knight - $15
Fallout 1 + 2 - $10 (found at CompUSA, Best Buy)
Planescape: Torment - $10 (by the makers of Baldur's Gate and Fallout, found at CompUSA)
Command And Conquer: Red Alert 2-Pack - $10 (found at Wal-Mart)
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - $13 (with original packaging... manuals!... from www.compuexpert.com)
Warcraft Battle Chest - $20
Starcraft + Brood Wars - $20 (w/o game guides, also from Compuexpert)
Baldur's Gate I + Tales of the Sword Coast - $12 (yes, also from Compuexpert)
Baldur's Gate II - $20! (from... guess where)

I owned X-wing & Tie Fighter, but w/o the graphics enhancements & missions packs. I'm excited to see how they play now, especially with a better monitor & sound system. I've also seen good deals on the Descent: Freespace games, which some have compared to the Wing Commander series (which always blew me away).

Anyone else know of any bargains for "recent classic" games, as opposed to some of the crappy games out there that are just priced to move?

(edited to add more deals)

Last edited by Static Cling; 09-10-01 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-08-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lovin' the PC "classic game" bargains!

Originally posted by michael_sharma
I didn't game on my PC a whole lot during the last four years, and now I am looking at the bargain PC game "recent classics" and drooling...

X-Wing (enhanced graphics, plus all mission packs) - $10
Tie Fighter (enhanced graphics, plus all mission packs) - $10
X-Wing Alliance - $15
Jedi Knight - $15
Fallout 1 + 2 - $10
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - $13 (with original packaging... manuals!... from www.compuexpert.com)
Starcraft + Brood Wars - $20 (w/o game guides, also from Compuexpert)
Baldur's Gate I + Tales of the Sword Coast - $12 (yes, also from Compuexpert)
Baldur's Gate II - $20! (from... guess where)

I owned X-wing & Tie Fighter, but w/o the graphics enhancements & missions packs. I'm excited to see how they play now, especially with a better monitor & sound system. I've also seen good deals on the Descent: Freespace games, which some have compared to the Wing Commander series (which always blew me away).

Anyone else know of any bargains for "recent classic" games, as opposed to some of the crappy games out there that are just priced to move?
I was also checking out some recent classics as well and I saw that the highly rated Grim Fandango is only $9.99 at Best Buy. I've heard it is an excellent adventure/puzzle game in the lines of the Monkey Island series which are awesome as well. I remember when it first came out it was like $35. I've been meaning to pick it up. Thanks for the tip on the other games.
Old 09-08-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
MDK2 is only $10 and it came out just last year. Definitely worth it. Unreal Tournament: Totally Unreal is $20. Shogun: Total War ($20), Heroes of Might and Magic 3 ($20) -- all at compuexpert ;p

I want to get some of those, but right now I'm too busy with school, a couple beta tests, Asheron's Call, and wanting to replay Deus Ex, Giants and some other games first. Soooo many choices, so little time.

Tuan Jim
Old 09-08-01, 07:03 PM

Re: Re: Lovin' the PC "classic game" bargains!

Originally posted by Outlaw

I was also checking out some recent classics as well and I saw that the highly rated Grim Fandango is only $9.99 at Best Buy. I've heard it is an excellent adventure/puzzle game in the lines of the Monkey Island series which are awesome as well. I remember when it first came out it was like $35. I've been meaning to pick it up. Thanks for the tip on the other games.
Grim Fandango is awsome. It has a great graphical style and a cool storyline. Plus it was pretty funny. If you get a chance I would say definately pick it up.
Old 09-08-01, 08:09 PM

Speaking of older game bargains. I picked up Driver recently at Wal-Mart for $10. And I really enjoyed it. If I could just figure out how to do the proper sequence in the parking garage to start the storyline I'd be good to go. But I've been having fun with all the other driving missions and such so I'm not complaining.

There are quite a few others I might pick up and try. For that price you really can't lose. Among those I might try are Descent 3, Descent: Freespace, MDK2, and Unreal Tournament.

I must completely endorse all the X-Wing games that are $10. They have been some of the finest games I've ever played. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Star Wars fan. They are just well thought out and enjoyable games. Jedi Knight is a fine choice also for $15. Looking forward to the sequel to that.

Chris
Old 09-08-01, 10:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

I was poking around a garage sale today, when I saw a copy of [gasp] Sam and Max Hit the Road! Then, I looked close... "Mac version?! AUGH!" I don't know if it'd even run on Win ME without some serious tweakage, though.

FYI about the Compuexpert deals... some of their low price deals (especially like the Baldur's Gate I pack, or anything else that is a 48 Hour Madness special) only last for a limited time... sometimes 48 hours, sometimes a little longer.
Old 09-09-01, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SERIOUS SAM!!!!! Only 19.99 in most places. Seriously fun! AMAZING GRAPHICS AND FUN AS HELL GAMEPLAY! Totally worth it. Brand new game, too.
Old 09-09-01, 07:39 PM

Almost forgot one game that's in the bargain racks now that hasn't been mentioned yet, Command & Conquer: Red Alert. You can get the basic game for $10 or the bundled pack with the expansion disc for $20. Absolutely worth it if you've never played it. The original Command & Conquer game should be the same price and that too is worth it.

Chris
Old 09-09-01, 08:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

I actually got the CC: Red Alert 2-pack for a little over $10 at Wal-Mart about a month or so back. Might have been a misprice, but who knows... go check it out if you're interested.
Old 09-09-01, 10:54 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Check out www.pcliquidator.com, they have some awesome games at really good deals.

Fallout $.99
Freespace 2 $.99
Descent 3 $.99

there are a few other games as well, but those are the highlights. The shipping is pretty high, but its nothing outrageous, just thought i might as well pass on some info.
Old 09-09-01, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Myth II: Soulblighter
GREAT game! It should be in the bargain bins.

IGN Review
Old 09-10-01, 01:48 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by mwestep
Check out www.pcliquidator.com, they have some awesome games at really good deals.

Fallout $.99
Freespace 2 $.99
Descent 3 $.99

there are a few other games as well, but those are the highlights. The shipping is pretty high, but its nothing outrageous, just thought i might as well pass on some info.
Thanks for the info... but that place seems kinda fishy to me. I went to check out the Fallout and Freespace 2 deals, and they're sold in "bulk," which, according to the site, means you get the CD only, and no box. Anyone else think that's weird? There should be some sort of packaging, shouldn't there?
Old 09-10-01, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pcliquidator.com

The sell OEM software. Like the games you get bundled with your PC or with a video or sound card.
Old 09-10-01, 11:12 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I picked up System Shock 2 at Targer for $3.99 (it was on clearance). Also got starcraft+broodwars at best buy for 7.99 awhile back ago.
Old 09-10-01, 01:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

Whoa, System Shock 2... THAT's a good game. Especially if you've played SS1 and have a "history" with ol' Shodan.
Old 09-10-01, 06:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Just wanted to say that I found another yummy deal... Planescape: Torment, from the makers of Baldur's Gate & Fallout... $10, at CompUSA.