Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 Price Drop info

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-01, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2 Price Drop info

Just hear on the TV here that Sony is gonna drop the price of PS2 to 25,000 yen about $200.00 because of the release of Game Cube.
Old 08-24-01, 03:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

yep this is what I predicted awhile back ago, hope it comes true for the US too....I still probably wont buy one until I can get it for $150 or less
Old 08-24-01, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think they should give the consoles away for practically nothing and then make their money off the games... that's why Nintendo's cube is so cheap compared to the others. These games are all like 50 bucks or more.
Old 08-24-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think $200 is pretty much the sweet spot. I know I can't even consider getting a console until it hits that price.

Also, I think that pretty much all console producers lose money on each console sold for the first 1 to 2 years that the console is on the market. It takes a few years to get the production process down to where they actually start making money for each console sold, i.e. I'm sure Sony makes a profit on each of the PSOne consoles that are sold nowadays.
Old 08-24-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I think they should give the consoles away for practically nothing and then make their money off the games... that's why Nintendo's cube is so cheap compared to the others. These games are all like 50 bucks or more.
Can you point me to a source on "50 bucks or more?" Everything I've read has said that they will be comparable with other systems.

From IGN.com:

Will these proprietary discs be expensive to make games for?

No. "Proprietary" doesn't necessarily mean expensive -- cartridge manufacturing does. Don't confuse the two. Sega's GD-ROMs are proprietary in nature while still cost effective and easily manufactured. Nintendo's proprietary GameCube discs will not inflate the costs of development, and in fact the company has said that its licensing fees for third-parties are comparable, if not better than those of competitor Sony's for PlayStation 2.
----

Glad to see the PS2 price drop. I would have picked one up a long time ago if it was in the $200 range.
Old 08-24-01, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by draven-x

Can you point me to a source on "50 bucks or more?" Everything I've read has said that they will be comparable with other systems.
sh*t I don't know - aren't all console games about 50 bucks each? Seems like it anyway - I've never bought any since I play PC games.
Old 08-24-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Yes, $50 bucks is the "price point" for consoles. The Playstation got away with a lot of $39.99 games, but most of those weren't the "killler" titles.

To put things in perspective, my friend in middle school paid $75 for "Strider" for the Genesis That game kicked ass though...
Old 08-24-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm hoping that these kinds of price drops will affect the price of the GBA. I know there aren't many similarities, but if they just have a great sale price for one week that is all i'm looking for. I think the PS2 is overrated, IMHO.
Old 08-24-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why in the world would the prices of the "big" consoles effect the price of the Game Boy Advance? It's a whole different beast.

Hell, the GBA didn't even effect the price of the Game Boy Color, which I was sure was going to drop from $70 to $50.

$90 is as cheap as an Advance is going to be for the next several years. . .
Old 08-24-01, 06:28 PM

draven: Actually you're wrong. It came to a point where the normal price on a PS game was a MSRP of $39.99 and thus almost all titles, including killer ones, were at that price point. Easiest examples to point out was that all EA, Square, Capcom, Konami, etc had their MSRP at $39.99. It was actually one of the coolest things to think of how FF9 was going to cost half as much as it did in Japan when it hit stateside.
Old 08-25-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hope this is true. I originally felt this was going to happen then began to have doubts as the sales figures for the PS2 were looking pretty good. I guess we will know soon since they should announce it in september if they are going to do it.
Old 08-25-01, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it's true they're dropping the price that much, I'm very surprised. It would signal, however, that Sony is far more worried by GC than they are by xbox.
Old 08-25-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My belief is that the "big" console companies will realize that people aren't spending as much as they used too, so to get the consumer they have to get them to buy the hardware first and then make their money on the software. Hence, if the consoles begining taking a large portion of the market, perhaps the GBA will cut cost to make ends meet. It's not that far fetched, is it?
Old 08-25-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
My belief is that the "big" console companies will realize that people aren't spending as much as they used too, so to get the consumer they have to get them to buy the hardware first and then make their money on the software. Hence, if the consoles begining taking a large portion of the market, perhaps the GBA will cut cost to make ends meet. It's not that far fetched, is it?
i am really hoping that this happens. it would save me a lot of money. got my fingers crossed.
Old 08-26-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Once the price falls down I will let you guys know of the day.But I expect it by next month.Sony is droping the price not because only of Nintendo but also because of X-box threat.