Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Who here still goes to the ARCADES ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-01, 11:25 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Who here still goes to the ARCADES ?

Does anyone ?

is it just home video gaming for most people here ?

i've been like twice in the last 4 years
Old 07-24-01, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first time in three years was a couple of months ago when my friend forced me to seek out and play that 911 game(not sure of the name but 911 is in it). It was awesome. It's a light gun shooter that actually senses the movements of your body thereby forcing you to duck and move to avoid being shot. The best and obviously most realistic shooter out there.
Old 07-24-01, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The arcades I used to frequent are now mostly full of simple carnival games for tickets.

Not worth going to an arcade anymore with the home game consoles and pc's we have today.
Old 07-24-01, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is an arcade near me that has pretty much every classic game ever made. I go there mainly to look at the cabinet and control designs, to play exactly the way I did as a kid, and to get the overall feel that comes from being in a fully stocked arcade. There is nothing like it.
Old 07-24-01, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by Cereal-Killer
my friend forced me to seek out and play that 911 game(not sure of the name but 911 is in it). It was awesome. It's a light gun shooter that actually senses the movements of your body thereby forcing you to duck and move to avoid being shot. The best and obviously most realistic shooter out there.
We have this in a bar by my house... Its Emergency 911 i think, its is all this guy cracks it up to be... I have heard it's coming out for ps2 with a USB camera, to sense your bodies movements...

But, to stay on topic, i never go to the arcade anymore, because all the arcades around here closed down. I do play pinball at the pizza joint i go to lunch at daily... Junkyard is it's name... the pinball game, not the pizza joint :P
Old 07-24-01, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why go to the arcade? All of the best games are at my house (i.e. Gran Turismo, Crazy Taxi, Unreal Tournament, Jet Grind Radio, and on and on). And on a 56" HDTV no less. Sweet.
Old 07-24-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like to go, but I usually only go to those that offer me something special.

Like, I'll go to Dave and Buster's, because while they rape me on the cost of playing a game, I can get loaded at the same time -- plus, there's lots and lots of really cool games.

And, I'll go to the Sega Dreamworks sometimes on Wendsdays. They put all the games on free play at 5pm, and charge $10 admission, and you can stay until 10pm. Not too bad a deal, but it makes you realize how short and shallow most arcade games are. Most take no more than twenty minutes start to finish.
Old 07-24-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I used to, but now they are mostly fighting games. It's getting even harder to find decent pinball games anywhere.
Old 07-24-01, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
I used to live at them back in the early-mid 80s, but with all of the quality games systems out now, there aren't too many left...

I still visit (and enjoy) Dave and Busters game room every now and then... They have several chains across the nation.
Old 07-24-01, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the arcades around here are gone. The last one closed about 7 months ago.
I'd have to drive an hour to get to the closest arcade.
Old 07-24-01, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Goblincat
There is an arcade near me that has pretty much every classic game ever made. I go there mainly to look at the cabinet and control designs, to play exactly the way I did as a kid, and to get the overall feel that comes from being in a fully stocked arcade. There is nothing like it.

The only games I ever play in the arcades anymore are the classics also.....Brings back many great memories from my childhood.
Old 07-25-01, 12:04 AM

I go to Gameworks in Seattle all the time
Old 07-25-01, 11:37 AM

I would if I could... but I can't. Other than the Mall of America, there are NO arcades located within the state of Minnesota, I'm quite sure
Old 07-25-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Wazootyman
I would if I could... but I can't. Other than the Mall of America, there are NO arcades located within the state of Minnesota, I'm quite sure
No good ones that is. I live in Mpls, but I would have to say, "What's an arcade?" I have a 64 and PC and that's all I need.
Old 07-25-01, 12:27 PM
Retired

In my mind there hasn't been a good reason to go to the arcade in years. Now we get better than the arcade version console ports like Soul Calibur that we can play as often as we want without pumping in quarters every few minutes and putting up with an arcade full of whiney brats.

Plus, most the arcade games are crap today. Many of them rely on fancy cabinets, controllers, force feedback and other gimmicks to get people to play, rather than solid, fun gameplay. Add all of this with the fact that many games cost $1.00 plus to play, and it's just a waste of time and money in my mind.
Old 07-25-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I never did go to the arcades that much to begin with. I guess I am too practical. I would rather save my money and buy a game, or GI Joe's or Dino Riders or Mega Force, sorry I am babbling. i just recently went to the arcades with my younger brother on vacation. I introduced him to one of the newer classics that I enjoyed long ago. I was that X-Men game with wolverine colossus and a few others that played like the TMNTurtles arcade games. It was nice being able to play an arcade game that didn't cost 1.50$ for two min. of fun.
Old 07-25-01, 10:52 PM
Cool New Member

I go all the time, i have to drive 60 miles to atlanta to get to it, but the one my wife and i go to is attached to a korean karaoke bar/bowling ally. when we're done on the ddr and pump it up machines we can get a drink and bowl. I acutaly had my batcheler(sp) party there last thursday.
Old 07-26-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disney Quest rules! At least the one in Orlando... I know there are others... anybody go to the others?
Old 07-26-01, 09:10 AM

There is a new arcade game place owned by Namco which I don't remember the name. My friend said you pay hourly and can play any games within the hours that your purchase. BTW, this place is in Pointe Orlando. I'd love to go there. My favorite arcade game is Dance Dance Revolution.

Originally posted by QuAcKeR
Disney Quest rules! At least the one in Orlando... I know there are others... anybody go to the others?
Old 07-26-01, 10:20 PM
Banned

a couple of nights ago, me and a buddy went to an arcade in Times Square for a while and they had a boxing game just like that 911 game you guys are talking about. It seemed pretty lame to me. The movement sensor basically noticed two or three movements and once you figured it out, you could beat any boxer in the game with little effort. There was also little in the way of variety of punches. I had a million perfect opportunities for uppercuts but the damn machine would never give it to me. The punch power was pretty lame too.
Old 07-27-01, 12:47 PM

Konami has a few motion sensing games out.

- Police 911 is the light gun shooter, and it's cool.
Lightgun shooting where you can dodge bullets like the Matrix.
- Mo-Cap Boxing is like an updated Punch-Out, but it's lame.
You can only punch opponents when the targets appear, can only dodge in a couple directions, and opponents are pretty easy to beat.
- there's also a Japanese game where you wave your hands in time with the music. Like DDR, but with hand gestures.

I think the technology is cool, and the games are still 1st generation...

I live near the NH coast, so there are a lot of arcades around here, and I go every couple weeks. Play some pinball, Galaga, and hang out at the beach. Can't play pinball at home, and no home system matches the arcade experience for classic games.

There are also some decent arcade games that never made it to home systems, like Sega's Star Wars Trilogy. And new games like Arctic Thunder that haven't been ported yet.

I also enjoy the arcades because they give me a link to my childhood. It's pretty cool to go to the same arcades for 20+ years, and play some of the same machines that got me hooked when I was 10.

Katakana - congrats on taking the plunge.
Old 07-28-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I go every now and then , just so I don't feel old.