Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Broken PS2

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-01, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken PS2

I bought my kids the PS2 the day it was released. I think the laser doesnt work since the games keep freezing up. I called sony and they couldnt help me and they told me that my warranty expired after 90 days. The stores wont take it back. Is it unethical to buy another one and replace the broken one and return that to the store?..Anybody else have this problem?
Old 07-21-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

alittle unethical, but I think I would do it
Old 07-21-01, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it ethical for a company to sell a $300 system that stops working for no apparent reason in less than a year? Didn't think so. Personally, I say screw ethics when it comes to hard earned $$. I'd advise you to adopt a similar philosophy.
Old 07-22-01, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What game that freeze up? I have one game that kept freeze up often is All Star Baseball 2002. I have played SSX, Escape from Monkey Island, and Gran Turismo 3 and they work just fine. It could be the game?
Old 07-22-01, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would clean it real well. make sure there is no dust or dirt in the drive tray that might be causing your problem. test games you know worked. if they work then great. if they do not and they are not dirty then try the buy and return bit.
Old 07-22-01, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure if you remember from your first purchase, but Sony and Retailers are pretty protected from this. Each system has a unique scan code. Retailers scan the UPC and then scan the code (it should be printed on your receipt even). If they don't match they won't take it. Your only hope would be to find a store that overlooks it, etc. Most of the cash registers won't continue until it's scanned though.

Do DVDs still work? Might call Sony and ask if you can send it/take it to an authorized repair shop. Or ask them how much (out of warranty) it would cost to get fixed. Plus, I was sure it came with a 1 year warranty, not just a 90 day. Might want to look at the documentation again.
Old 07-22-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

go buy the 50 dollar warrenty at EB and then return it for a new one. I dunno if they are supposed to do it but the one in the mall where i work did it for a friend of mine.
Old 07-22-01, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the advice, I have tried cleaning it and it just keeps freezing up. I spoke with Sony and they only have the 90 day warranty. If you ever have the misfortune of speaking with their tech support you will quickly realize that they will blame you and never admit that a certain percentage can actually have problems. They want $125 to repair plus shipping.
Old 07-22-01, 02:32 PM

If you ever have the misfortune of speaking with their tech support you will quickly realize that they will blame you and never admit that a certain percentage can actually have problems.
Yeah, but if you are past the 90 days, and the warranty has expired, it doesn't matter who's fault it is that the unit doesn't work anymore. It could be your fault, it could be their fault, it doesn't matter to them. It's now a moot point.

$125 to repair it. . . Man, that sucks.

I bought the 2-year replacement plan at Best Buy for $40 when I bought my PS2 last October. Hopefully, I won't have to use it (and I don't think I will), but you never know. A year and a half from now, it might work just as good as the day I bought it, and I would have, in a sense, wasted forty bucks, but that's OK. The piece of mind was worth it to me.
Old 07-22-01, 08:48 PM

A good friend of mine just had this exact same problem. He tried to take it back to the store he bought it at, but they wouldn't do anything (since it was past the 90 day warrenty period). Also, they were able to call Sony and "track" the system (sell date and store) via the serial number on the back of the PS2.

We were finally able to find a store that did an even exchange on the system - no questions asked. I'm not sure about posting the name of the store on here, so email me if you're interested.
Old 07-23-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
If you set the PSX2's software to ENHANCE THE GRAPHICS some games will freeze.

I tried to do this with ONIMUSHA and it froze on me so I opened and closed the tray and worked fine without having to hit RESET.
Old 07-24-01, 11:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

that is Sony for you, basically after a year their stuff breaks down
Old 07-24-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This brings back memories of the first PS when it first came out -- overheating problems *shudder*. But yeah, try turning off the "Smooth" texturing option as well as the "Fast" loading speed in the PS2's main menu if those options are on. Some games get screwed up if one or the other is on.
Old 07-25-01, 01:46 PM

The fast loading and graphic smoothing options are only for regular Playstation games, don't turn them on for PS2 games.
Old 07-25-01, 02:58 PM

90 day warranty only? thats a pretty shitty warranty, I sure as hell won't spend the money they ask on it if it's such shoddy quality... you should buy your kid a PC and have him/her play games on that.