Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GT3 review/impressions thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-01, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT3 review/impressions thread

So, GT3 should finally be out for everyone today. I played my copy most of last night and all I can say is it was well worth the wait.

The graphics are amazing. The replays look like you're watching a street race on television and actually not play a game. You can actually set up how you want the replays done, which is pretty cool. These replays are like GT2 replays revved up to the nth degree. The cars are very detailed, the tracks are pretty detailed (some trees look better in some tracks than others for instance) and the amount of information and tweaking in this game is amazing.

Yes, the number of cars has dwindled since the days of GT2 (I'd say about 1/4 to 1/3 of GT2's total) and you can no longer buy used cars. However we get over 150 cars and you can go to great lengths in tuning them. There are a lot more tuning options in GT3 than there was in GT2. For instance there are no longer just 3 tire types to select from, you can actually choose your tire maker and pick what type of traction on the tire you would like. There are several more levels of upgrades than GT2 had as well.

You start out with @18k of credits (I forget the exact total) and there isn't a lot to choose from right off that you can buy. I bought a Mazda Miata MX-5 and started on my way with the licenses. The licenses this time around don't seem as tough as GT2's did. I got the B license with relative ease and tonight I will try for the A license. There are many license classes including a Rally license so you can play the Rally levels.

There are 5 different classes of difficulty/race types available: Beginner, Amateur, Professional, Rally Events and Endurance Events (I also believe there is an F-1 class as well, but you have to go through a lot to unlock it). In those classes there are different race series with different rules and regulations. The size of this game is just unbelievable. Yes, you are racing over the same tracks over and over (I think there are 34 tracks in total plus the reverse tracks of many/all of them), but every series has money on the line (and sometimes bonus money).

The control on the game seemed pretty easy to me. I used the Dual Shock 2 as my controller. I decided not to get the GT wheel which may or may not enhance my enjoyment of GT3. I just felt $100 on a wheel might be going a bit too far. The control is much like it was in GT1 and 2. Basically they've taken the original gameplay foundation and have built around that.

I suppose you're wondering...are there any problems with the game? Yes. AI is a glaring problem in the game. It has been pointed out in on-line reviews and I will touch on it here as well. The computer cars have a set line that they follow. If they are hit and taken off that line they will gravitate toward that line no matter what to continue on their path. This is disappointing, but it's really nothing different from GT or GT2. I have heard the Rally mode has some dynamic AI in it though along with the Arcade mode (I haven't tried it, so I can't say). I have also heard that in the F1 races the computer ALWAYS pits on certain laps and that you can beat them easily that way.

All in all, GT3 is everything I had hoped for. I would have liked a little more challenge with dynamic computer players, but oh well. I guess that is what iLink and Split-screen multiplayer is for. Ultimately, Polyphony Digital has given us a labor of love that we should cherish for a long time. The amount of detail in this game, graphics and otherwise, is phenomenal. AI just seems to be the one detail they either had a hard time doing or decided not to do at all.

Go out and get GT3 if you like racing games and get ready to spend hours/days/weeks/months trying to win everything. Have fun.
Old 07-12-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen this cheap AI since the early days of Ridge Racer.

I was neck in neck with the one fast AI car, all of a sudden, he is right in front of me like he had some miracle burst of speed, once in front, he went back to the same speed.

Doug
Old 07-12-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that this game is great, however, there are flaws. First of, the soundtrack WOULD really kick-a$$, however, you are unable to adjust the volume levels of any kind of sound. Therefore, i've found that the sound effects over-power the music in the levels.
Also, i would've liked to see a car take damage....ala....Nascar or most race games. I mean you can just bounce off other cars like no big deal. I know they put a LOT of effort into making these cars pretty....but some kind of dent would've helped.

So far, that is my view of the game....haven't really got into it too much, played some 2-player action. Does anyone know if you can unlock more 2-player tracks....there are only like 6 or something like that available. Not bad, it also has a 16:9 widescreen option, so it looks great on my 55' Mits.

However, the game is great....just my few knocks on it.
Old 07-12-01, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The line they've always given is that some car manufacturers do not want their cars to appear damaged in any way. However that doesn't excuse the fact that collisions have no consequences, IMO.
Old 07-12-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i'm not gonna waste time with some picky review so I'll keep mine short and sweet....

It rules!
Old 07-12-01, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Picked up my copy over lunch. Can't wait to play it as soon as I get home. I haven't even seen streaming video of the game in action. I can only imagine how sweet it looks. How long is it 'til 5 O'clock?
Old 07-12-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
As most reviews have stated, GT3 plays almost exactly like GT2 but with better graphics. Fine by me. I'm particularly enjoying the Rally cars as they kick up a ton of dirt to mess up the view from the car behind you in two player mode. My wife and I (you read that right) stayed up way too late playing GT3 last night and I'm anxious to get back to it tonight and finish getting the licenses out of the way.
Old 07-12-01, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mugwump
My wife and I (you read that right) stayed up way too late playing GT3 ...
that cracks me up!

the game so far is great. i agree w/ some of the nitpicks but overall, it is excellent. between this and NBA street, i am quite happy.
Old 07-12-01, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with the main thoughts here. The graphics are stunning, the AI is annoying, and they should have taken out some Skylines and Lancers and put in some classics! I really like the game though. If the F1 thing is true, then I can't wait to unlock it.

-CM-
Old 07-12-01, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My one word impression...

"Wow"

Thank you, and good day.
Old 07-13-01, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Just played around a little with the arcade mode last night. Taking the S-Class Viper around Trial Mountain was an astonishing expierience. I almost had to pause the game to wipe the tears of joy from my eyes. Wow! That feel of speed, acceleration and power is unmatched! I have GOT to get me one of those cars
Old 07-13-01, 07:27 PM

Wasn't this game supposed to update the ps2 somehow? I've looked through the manual and it doesn't mention anything.
Old 07-13-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i like it a lot, but I don't think it's the 10 that everybody says it is. It has maybe the best graphics on the system, but the AI is really shaky.
Old 07-14-01, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do wish I could turn UP the music!
Old 07-14-01, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
I do wish I could turn UP the music!
here here!
Old 07-14-01, 01:40 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Has anybody tried the steering wheel yet? I am figuring out whether i want it or not...
Old 07-14-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mwestep
Has anybody tried the steering wheel yet? I am figuring out whether i want it or not...
I don't think the wheel is worth it. I'd pick the dual shock 2 over the wheel anyday. (I don't own it but I have used it.)
Old 07-14-01, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mljones99

I don't think the wheel is worth it. I'd pick the dual shock 2 over the wheel anyday. (I don't own it but I have used it.)
Once you play with the wheel you will never go back. It really adds to the overall enjoyment of the game. I would highly recommend the Logitech wheel.
Old 07-14-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by edstein

Once you play with the wheel you will never go back. It really adds to the overall enjoyment of the game. I would highly recommend the Logitech wheel.
I heard about that. I wonder if they steer accurately in PS2? I bought one for PS1 with GT2 and the wheel were sucked.
Old 07-14-01, 11:16 PM

I just went to Best Buy, and I am pretty P*ssed, they had the wheel on demo with GT3, thought it might be a pretty good chance to see if I like it or not. Well the buttons didn't work, looked behing it, and it seems like somebody took some scissors to the cord...
Old 07-15-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mwestep
I just went to Best Buy, and I am pretty P*ssed, they had the wheel on demo with GT3, thought it might be a pretty good chance to see if I like it or not. Well the buttons didn't work, looked behing it, and it seems like somebody took some scissors to the cord...

sorry about that, I was trying to get a piece of paper I dropped....
Old 07-15-01, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts
The Force Feedback (GT) wheel is really cool. This is the first wheel for any system I have that really enhances the game. It is expensive, but it does work really well with this game...

Anyone know if you can use this wheel with PC games (it's USB)?
Old 07-15-01, 10:50 PM

More than likely you can, I have heard rumors that the PC version of the GT Force wheel is identical to its PS2 counterpart. Since the PC version works on the PS2, more than likely the PS2 can work with the PC games.
Old 07-15-01, 11:56 PM

I use the PC version of the GT Force wheel and it works great with GT3. I got the wheel for only $31 which is not bad since it sells for $100.
Old 07-16-01, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To answer some things

Someone asked about the updating of your PS2 and how it was supposed to be in GT3. Yes, it was supposed to be in it, but Sony backed away from it. They were afraid that a group of people might get their PS2 screwed up and that would add to their CSR calls. So, I think they decided to not put the DVD driver updates on GT3. I have no clue when, or if, they will do this.

Yes, the music level is quite annoying and I am surprised that Polyphony didn't put some sort of sound level for BGM and music in the game. This is a game that could use an update. Maybe if we made enough noise they might bring out GT3 ver. 1.2 like they did in GT2 when you couldn't get 100% (it was at like 97.3% and you couldn't get any farther). You either sent your game in or went to your local retailer and switched the games.

And Y2J, where did you get the wheel for the price you got it for? For that price I would be willing to get it, but at $100 it's too big of an investment for one game. E-mail me if you'd like. Thanks much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.