Old 07-05-01, 04:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sony PR machine sure must be bored.
Old 07-05-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not *this* rumor again....

Yeah. I can see it now - Austim Powers 3, with Dr. Evil buying tons of PS2 to conquer the world.

At least *that* is more likely than Chinese using PS2 as weapons. Heck, they already have P4 1.4MHzs there - and that chip is more powerful than the PS2's.
Old 07-05-01, 05:54 PM

The dangers are obvious. China will hack all their PS2s to have region free DVD viewing capabilities. Then after importing the Die Hard DVD box, they will employ those tactics to take over the world.
Old 07-05-01, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, so this tiny third world country I've never heard of - what was the name again? Chai-naa? - has discovered that, despite being completely bereft of any mathematical or engineering skills, can still gleam the computational power they need from the PS2 "computer" system. Gosh, it must suck to live in a land completely devoid of consumer electronics. They should talk to the country on those "made in" stickers that seem to be on everything I own... Can't remember that country's name right now, though...

[/sarcasm]

Really, this is just Sony trying to claim the PS2 isn't a video game console again. They started this whole mess because if they can prove they're a computer, they don't have to pay import taxes in the UK.
Old 07-05-01, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More fun with yellow journalism:

In December, a Web site reported that a scarcity of PlayStation 2 consoles was partly due to Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s use of the game machines. Some 4,000 of the game consoles found their way to Iraq, said the report.
What web site? http://www.providingstupidrumorsforr...heirfacts.com?

While critics of the report doubted the practicality of linking hundreds of game consoles together to further a government's military ambitions...
Hmmm... A PS2 Beowulf cluster... That's actually kind of interesting. But you'd probably have a greater effect if you just taped all those machines together and rolled them over enemy soldiers.

However, Goodman said it wasn't clear why Japan and the U.S. consider the PlayStation 2's DVD capability a threat. The PlayStation 2 does employ RSA (Nasdaq: RSAS - news) encryption.
Dear God, the Chinese may find a way to play Region 1 DVDs! They'll unveil the horrible secrets of Fight Club and There's Something About Mary!

The PlayStation 2 also comes equipped with a broadband Internet connection, industry sources report.
Damn, mine must be defective. Well, either it or those "industry sources..."

...Japanese officials restricted the export of the game console, saying its graphic processing unit could be used in guided missiles.
But, you could do that with the Atari...
Old 07-05-01, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL!
Old 07-05-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever. This is ridgoddamndiculous.
Old 07-05-01, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
weird stuff. i am willing to sell out my country to china. i think my sega genesis should be worth a million dollars
Old 07-05-01, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's true. you can launch nuclear missles and such using your PS2. don't you guys read the instruction manual that comes with it? it's right there on page 21.
Old 07-05-01, 11:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Well last time it was Iraq, not it's China. How can they actually write that stuff?