What's wrong with my DC??

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What's wrong with my DC??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-01, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dc winds down and has to reboot, causing my game to be destroyed. It used to be on a rug, so I moved it onto a wooden platform so it wouldn't overheat--it still shuts down. I once left the cover open for 15 sec.-1 min, but that was 3 months ago. It's driving me crazy, just as I defeat a boss in Grandia II, and FINALLY get somewhere new (I finally got off Valmars Moon) IT SHUTS DOWN!! I'm on the verge of packing it in ice to cool it off so I can play. I can't stand this, what should I do????

[Edited by Chaos on 07-05-01 at 10:03 AM]
Old 07-05-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a brand new DC brought over from the States and began playing Skies of Arcadia. About 5 minutes into it, the dc freezes up at the transition screen. By that I mean that come about the third battle scene the screen goes black for a second or two as usual to load the battle scene. Well, on this one, the screen just stays black and can't make the transfer?? Sometimes the disk will just spin in there and other times the disk stops spinning altogether. But both ways the screen just stays black. Guess I got a dud
Old 07-05-01, 02:11 PM

I got mine in Wal-Mart. During a battle or transition from one screen to another, I hear the disk spinning slower, and a message comes up saying "Please wait while disk is being loaded" and it resets!! All of a sudden my DC doesn't detect the disc anymore!!!!!!
Old 07-05-01, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar thing happen to my DC before the 90 warranty period was up. It was a problem with the lens and I had to call up Sega to get it fixed. I would suggest you do the same.
Old 07-05-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
I had a similar thing happen to my DC before the 90 warranty period was up. It was a problem with the lens and I had to call up Sega to get it fixed. I would suggest you do the same.
Same here. The DC isn't exactly high quality.
Old 07-05-01, 04:43 PM

How much would it cost? I've had my DC about 1-2 yrs., and this is the first time it's ever done anything like this.
Old 07-05-01, 05:15 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
55 bucks for a replacement lens is what I have seen, LikSang is out right now though.
Old 07-05-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Before you get a new lens just get some isopropyl alcohol and a couple cotton qtips
Get a qtip wet with alcohol and clean your lens then give it a few minutes to dry or dry with other qtip. This should work if something is interfering with your DC I had this problem a few months ago now everything is good.
Old 07-06-01, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah the dc is not the best made system but it's better then the piece of garbage sony has made.
Old 07-06-01, 08:41 AM

I'm not very good at identifying the parts--isn't the lens the little clear part that looks like glass about 1 centimeter in diameter in the middle of the dc??
Old 07-06-01, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes, that's the lens
Old 07-09-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chaos,
Did you get your DC working? Just wondering how the old Grandia quest was coming....
Old 07-11-01, 11:15 AM
ruf

Overheat

You might also just try cleaning the DC to open up the air vents (in case they're blocked) or try putting a fan on it just to see if it's an overheat problem.
Old 07-11-01, 01:10 PM

It seems to work best at night, when my room is cooler. I finally got off Valmars Moon, and have now entered to Birthplace of the Gods 1. Thankfully, the end is nowhere in sight!!