Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you think of the Monkey Island series??

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What do you think of the Monkey Island series??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 02:18 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
????
Old 06-27-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the best adventure game series ever made. It is hilarious and each game has been excellent.
Old 06-27-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first two were by far the best, but the latest two have been respectable.
Old 06-27-01, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to play Monkey Island (le chuck's revenge?) and King's quest VI all the time. I have seen the new versions of MI and they look fun. Definetly a great game.
Old 06-27-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Always fun games to play. Grim Fandango (also by Lucasarts) is another great game along the same kind of comedy adventure genre.
Old 06-27-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Secret of Monkey Island - 10/10
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - 6/10
The Curse of Monkey Island - 8/10
Escape from Monkey Island - not played yet

I'm in the minority, but I didn't like the second one. Some of the worst puzzle ever devised (that carrot cake/nail filing/breath mint really killed me), and the ending was just bad.
Old 06-27-01, 08:50 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks guys

Thanks for the info that is what I have been hearing everywhere I think I will start them beginning with the original thank you again
Old 06-28-01, 11:03 AM

The first one was great. The second was so-so, and I agree that the ending was pretty horrible. The third was awesome, I loved the voice acting and the beautiful art. But the fourth was a major let-down. Everything seemed too forced and the polygons did not seem like the way for MI to go.
Old 06-28-01, 11:15 AM

I loved the first two, and I really liked the second one's ending. I have noticed a lot of people mentioning that they didn't like it. I'd like to know why? I thought it was quite unexpected. Maybe its because 3 never really addressed it (although kind of with its amusement park).

3 was alright and 4 I'm working on but kinda lost interest. I think some of the puzzles in 4 are pretty out there.

Wasn't the carrot cake/nail file/breath mint stuff in the first game and not the second? Maybe its been a while.
Old 06-28-01, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by crzyhomer
I loved the first two, and I really liked the second one's ending. I have noticed a lot of people mentioning that they didn't like it. I'd like to know why? I thought it was quite unexpected. Maybe its because 3 never really addressed it (although kind of with its amusement park).

3 was alright and 4 I'm working on but kinda lost interest. I think some of the puzzles in 4 are pretty out there.

Wasn't the carrot cake/nail file/breath mint stuff in the first game and not the second? Maybe its been a while.
Star Wars jokes are cheap and a dime-and-a-dozen. Plus, using your parent's skull and crushing it in a voodoo bag just plain disgusts me - hasn't Ron Gilbert heard of respect for one's parents?

And the carrot cake/nail file/breath mint *was* in the first game. Duh me. It's been awhile since I've played MI2 too.