Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Payne is coming. Max Payne.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-01, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Gamespot:[i]We asked Markus Stein how the slow-motion works in Max Payne. "The slow motion is called "Bullet Time" in Max Payne and it's used as a gameplay element. You will get a slight edge over the enemies as you'll have more time to react and aim as well as a slightly increased rate of fire. "Bullet Time" is tied into some of Max' action moves, like the shoot dodges, but the player also accumulates it as he takes out enemies. At any point in the game, the player can choose to switch on "Bullet Time" to help him through more difficult combats." This in practice means that you will get an advantage over the quick-thinking AI.[i]

As a response to another posting asking for more information. This game should be out soon. Will it live up to the John Woo style combat? We will see. Been waiting a long time.

[Edited by Preacher on 06-24-01 at 03:05 PM]
Old 06-24-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
This game looks pretty impressive--the movie sequences I've seen make it look more like a movie in parts. Wow. I'm just glad in doesn't look too violent.
Old 06-26-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
It took about 24 hours, but it just hit me as to why they called this game "Max Payne." Can't believe I didn't pick up on that right away...
Old 06-26-01, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well it looks like we should just get together and talk about games. Well, what have you been playing lately? Got "Black & White" a few weeks ago. It is really impressive and it's the first new PC game we have got over the last 4 months.
Old 06-26-01, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleah. Blatant Matrix ripoff. They even called it "bullet time" there; these idiots act like they invented the term. And after "Mission Impossible: 2," I don't consider "John Woo-like" a compliment.

They modeled the main character after some scrawny programmer, too. Thoroughly uninterested in this derivative game.

(Sorry for the nastiness; just been through a horrible argument over the uses of the serial comma. It's tough being an English major in a world of newspaper printers.)
Old 06-26-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, it's an absolute ripoff. Or is it an homage? Since we were not in those movies and this is the first time we get a chance (barring daydreaming) to do this, are you not looking forward to it? Imagine the first time gunmen approach at 2 ends and you enter "Bullet Time" with him spinning slowly with bullets tracing holes in them both. Damn.

By the way, what is a serial comma?
Old 06-26-01, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Without serial comma:
"This book is dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God."

With serial comma:
"This book is dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand, and God."

Without serial comma:
"I like jelly, tuna and ham and cheese sandwiches."

With serial comma:
"I like jelly, tuna and ham, and cheese sandwiches."
or
"I like jelly, tuna, and ham and cheese sandwiches."

Some idiot about 40 years ago decided to try and make serial commas optional to save on ink/space costs in newspapers. There are a hundred thousand examples, in addition to the ones above, why this is a bad idea. Yet people still claim that a serial comma "sounds wrong," and refuse to use it. It's also called the "Oxford comma," though I don't know why.

Anyway, enough rant. Bullet time does sound like it might be fun - after all, it was a blast in Conker's Bad Fur Day - I just wish they'd give credit where credit is due.
Old 06-27-01, 09:28 AM

I've been looking forward to this one for several years now

If you haven't already, check out this year's E3 trailer. Watch that and tell me another PC game like it. Yes, it borrows elements from Woo/Matrix style action movies (although I agree that they shouldn't have stolen the name "bullet time"), but most of that stuff has not been seen in a game yet.