Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! What PC video game should I conquer next?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help! What PC video game should I conquer next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, I just finished Myst: Exile and I don't know what to play next.

Just for reference, I don't like tactical games like Red Alert, simulators like SimCity or Black and White or strictly role-playing games like Final Fantasy. I also don't really like games that are inherantly dark. OK, so I know--"What's left?"

Here's a list of games I loved and played till the end:

Half-Life, Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever, Jedi Knight series, Myst series, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, and the Tomb Raider series.

Any suggestions on what to conquer next?
Old 06-21-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you like first person shooters, try Serious Sam. It's cheap($20). And its insanely hard. The graphics are excellent too. It's story is lacking, but killing everything without running out fo ammo is challenging.

Another reccomendation is Clive Barkers Undying. If you haven't played them already, the Thief titles are good as well. These may fall under your "dark" category though.
MDK or MDK 2 are fun and bargain bin titles as well.

Those were just some ideas.
Old 06-21-01, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First and foremost, if you've never played System Shock 2, go buy it now. Should be $10-15 maximum in bargain bins.

I second all of JuryDuty's selections, especially if you've got some buddies to play Serious Sam with. You might also want to give Worms: World Party a shot, but only if you either don't own Worms: Armageddon or use Win2000 (W:A doesn't work in 2000).

Hmmm... Tropico is very Sim-city-esque, no go there...

Well, if you like flight sims, my brother has been having an absolute ball with Crimson Skies.

Those should keep you busy a while.
Old 06-21-01, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll check out System Shock 2 and Serious Sam.

Anyone played Hitman codename 47?
Old 06-21-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hitman

Try the demo first. I bought it and I like it alot, but some people don't care for it.
Old 06-22-01, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Thief games were amazingly fun and very atmospheric, one of the few first-person type games i played a lot of. (Although Thief is a first person sneaker, not a shooter)

I also highly recommend Baldurs Gate 2 if you like RPG's, it is so much fun for us old school D&D'ers
Old 06-22-01, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After 6 months of coming and going, I just Finished Hitman two nights ago. I really enjoyed it. Another game I'd suggest if you like that type of thing would be Project IGI. The AI can be flakey at times, but it's still a pretty fun game.

Old 06-23-01, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I downloaded demos to all these games (thank God I have a cable modem!). I decided to go buy Thief since I discovered it was made by the same people that made System Shock 2. You guys will definately have me busy for a while. I want to play just about every recommmendation, except for Hitman, which demo I didn't like. Thanks!!!
Old 06-23-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Emperor: The Battle For Dune. I am hooked. Nothing like bringing down Ornithopters on the Harkonnen.
Old 06-23-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ever play mechwarrior 4? it's also an older game, but there's just something about giant robots blowing stuff up.
Old 06-23-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait for Max Payne.
Old 06-23-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DrJag
ever play mechwarrior 4? it's also an older game, but there's just something about giant robots blowing stuff up.
I did enjoy Mechwarrior II and III, but they seemed to get the same after a while. But blowing robots up is fun!

Originally posted by Preacher
Wait for Max Payne.
Haven't heard of that one. Where can I go for more info?
Old 06-24-01, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I put a thread in on this with a picture and a quote.
Go to http://www.gamespot.com or http://www.maxpayne.com for starts.
Old 06-26-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
You might want to give Hitman another shot. I never played the demo, but I found the first "training" level to be a real pain. After the first few missions, it picked up a lot. I haven't gotten very far (I'm playing like 10 games right now) but it's a pretty neat game. Especially if you liked Deus Ex. There aren't quite as many ways to complete missions, but there are usually more than one. It's a pretty fun game.
Old 06-27-01, 09:19 AM

As far as FPS games go, you can't go wrong with most of the recommendations already given.

Project IGI was hindered by a lack of in game save, which became very annoying to replay a whole mission dozens of times to get it right. In the later levels, you pretty much had to memorize where all the enemies were before you could beat the mission. (This is the same reason I didn't care for Hitman either)

I actually enjoyed Thief II more than the original because it was much more focused on the thieving aspect.

If you want to stray away from FPSs, be sure to check out Grim Fandango, one of LucasArt's best adventure games.
Old 06-27-01, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like city building games like Caesar III but thought it was a little dull... Zeus and the new expansion Poseidon are some of the best games of their type I've ever played and I highly recommend them. The humor inherant in these games is worth the price of entry alone.

~Scheherazade
Old 06-27-01, 11:53 PM
Cool New Member

I finished "The Longest Journey" a while back, and it's a really nice old-school adventure game. The puzzles aren't all that difficult for the most part, so you usually don't get stuck in one spot for too long. The ending is a little abrupt, but all in all, I really enjoyed it.