Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the best SETUP for PS2

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What is the best SETUP for PS2

Old 06-20-01, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am on a quest to figure out the best possible connection for my PS2 system from a video standpoint (i'll worry about the audio next)

My alternatives are:
1) Widescreen rear projection HDTV compatible TV:
- Anyone ever tried hooking a PS2 to a Widescreen HDTV compatible rear projection TV? I tried hooking my nintendo 64 a while back through regular composite video and was dissappointed (very dark image).

2) 25" samsung TV (no component or SVHS inputs - just compositive inputs)

3) VGA monitor (RGB connectors) Note: this may go hand in hand with my previous thread about VGA monitor hookup. I would like this option for speaker, comfy chair, steering wheel braced on desk, access to online gaming for future etc... but am not sure if it will work.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 06-20-01, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

13 inch tv, mono speakers! I am seen it, not me though
Old 06-20-01, 02:07 PM

Snoopdogg - so the smaller the better -
Gee that doesn't sound right does it
Old 06-20-01, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'd use the component video in your big screen TV. i think that would be preferable to your monitor, because even if the quality is about the same, the size of the picture is much bigger.
Old 06-20-01, 03:22 PM

I hooked my PS2 up to my freinds 58" Widescreen Toshiba HDTV with the component inputs. I also tried my father's Mitsubishi (non-widescreen) 50" HDTV. They both looked OK but I wasn't blown away by either of them. I normally have it hooked up to my 36" Wega using the Component inputs. Definately the best so far. I'd say it's tough to beat the picture on a tube. Rear projection is just not as sharp. The bigger the TV, the worse the picture gets.
Old 06-20-01, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KungFuMidget
I hooked my PS2 up to my freinds 58" Widescreen Toshiba HDTV with the component inputs. I also tried my father's Mitsubishi (non-widescreen) 50" HDTV. They both looked OK but I wasn't blown away by either of them. I normally have it hooked up to my 36" Wega using the Component inputs. Definately the best so far. I'd say it's tough to beat the picture on a tube. Rear projection is just not as sharp. The bigger the TV, the worse the picture gets.
You must be smoking something. A properly calibrated Rear Projection HDTV will blow away a Wega. My 56" Toshiba has a built in line doubler for LD/Sat/TV and will do progressive scan DVD's and computer images. It Rocks.
Old 06-20-01, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best setup for a PS2?!

Sell it and buy a Dreamcast!! or an 8bit Nintendo.. (:

Just joking around!! (though I really think this is the best thing for you to do n_n)