Pros and Cons of Different Systems

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pros and Cons of Different Systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-01, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the Pros and Cons of the differentsytems? I've heard that Sony has a weak lineup, and that their system is very close power-wise to DC, Microsoft is new, and their controller feels wrong, but what's bad about GameCube? I haven't heard anything bad about them.
Old 05-31-01, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Chaos
but what's bad about GameCube? I haven't heard anything bad about them.
Nintendo makes it.
Old 05-31-01, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by elias
but what's bad about GameCube? I haven't heard anything bad about them.
Nintendo makes it.

If there's any "bad thing" about the GC, it's that it's a games console only; it doesn't play DVDs or music CDs, let you browse the web, use it as a TiVo, make your tea or anyhthing like that, it's a gaming machine only. Which is either good or bad dfeoending on how you look at it.

Also, if you want to be a number-obsessed goon, it doesn't have the raw power of the XBox and PS2. However, this is compensated for by the fact that it's MUCH easier to develop for, so programmers should be able to get a lot more out of the system a lot quicker than with the other consoles.

There is also (as with any Nintendo system) bound to be a slight lack of more "adult" titles; Nintendo have already signed on at least one second-party developer to produce more serious fare for the GC, but it's not generally one of the areas that Nintendo are celebrated for. IMO, a good game is a good game, though, regardless of who it's aimed at; for example, the Mario games are all pretty kiddy-oriented, but they're still some of the best platform games ever.
Old 05-31-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Up until now the PS2 line-up has been pretty weak. But some real crazy games are starting to come out. If your still waiting for a PS2 now might be a good time.

The Dreamcast is amazing, but of course it's dead. But I'm sure you can pick one up with a bunch of games that will keep you happy for at least a year. The DC has the best football, basketball, racing, and fighting games out there on any system.

I have both and if it wansnt for ATV, Fifa and Tigerwoods my PS2 would be collecting dust.
Old 05-31-01, 09:21 AM

"If there's any "bad thing" about the GC, it's that it's a games console only; it doesn't play DVDs or music CDs, let you browse the web, use it as a TiVo, make your tea or anyhthing like that, it's a gaming machine only."

But they're comiong out with add-ons, like a DVD player,a nd some other stuff.
Old 05-31-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Addons=pooyeee.

They should have it in the system!

Not that I need another DVD player or anything
Old 05-31-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"If there's any "bad thing" about the GC, it's that it's a games console only; it doesn't play DVDs or music CDs, let you browse the web, use it as a TiVo, make your tea or anyhthing like that, it's a gaming machine only."

But they're comiong out with add-ons, like a DVD player,a nd some other stuff.
Unless you get your angle grinder out, it would be physically impossible to play DVDs on a Gamecube. Plus, Nintendo have stated time and again that the GC is a games machine and that's it. And if you ask me, that's a good thing; all I want a games console to do is play games well. The more functions a machine has to do, the less effectively it will be able to do each on. The GC has been designed strictly as a gaming machine, the architecture and stuff have been designed so as to make it as easy as possible for developers to code for, and to try and make the unit multifunctional would severely compromise this ease of development.

Panasonic (I think) are, however, making a DVD player which incorporates the Gamecube architecture so you can play GC games on it. The GC basically runs using mini-DVDs with a proprietary encryption system, so it only takes a little tinkering to make a standard DVD player design capable of playing GC games. IIRC, the Panasonic machine will cost something like $300-$350 or so, but they might have revised that figure somewhat since I saw it...
Old 05-31-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Gamecube only being a game machine is a good thing. My big problem with the PS2 was increasing the costs by adding a very buggy DVD player. Keeping it simple and under $200 is a good thing. I already have a DVD player and a computer I don't need those features added into my console.