Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

E3 your take on the first, second and third day of Exhbits?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

E3 your take on the first, second and third day of Exhbits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-01, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well i just got back from the first day of the Exhbits. Even though my buddy and good pal Ditched me to go with his other friend, i had to go at it alone. (damn, no way i can get pictures of me with the hot scandlly clad Wolfenstien frulines(sp) without someone to take the picture)

Anyhow.. I creamed my pants i would say about 40 times at the sights.

the demo fo MGS2 was nothing more then the one on Z.O.E, but they had a trailer going that was very very very KICK ASS!! MGS2 is what i would consider PS2's best stuff. simply perfect. the chick with the long gun in the shadow pictures is named fortune, the gun shoots out electrical rays, it looked dope arse. when you shot at her, the bullets bounced off. simply perfect

Square was in full force. they had playable demos of FFX wow. it blew me away. simply perfect.

Fox had Aliens vs predator2 and colonal marines playable. you mention aliens with me, and i'm happy

Activision was a god to me. They had working demos of RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTIEN!!!
with lovely frulines(sp) there i must say, i will slow my posting completely once this game comes out as it kicks soooooo much arse.

XBOX was great. HALO was something beyond Cool. i have no doubts for them.

Capcom had arcade machines of SNK VS CAPCOM 2. there is plenty of new characters to use up to your happiness.

I wasn't all that happy with all that PS2 had other then MGS2.

Nintendo surprised me completely.

Super smash brothers on Game Cube looked perfect. Rouge leader was something that made an old star wars fan smile. and there area was prob' the best at E3.

THQ made my day though. i got to play SMACKDOWN 3 for PS2 and it is well worth it. i had raven run in between my match. the graphics are perfect. they also had a trailer for RAW IS WAR!! my god. that one made me so happy.

and best of all..... I GOT TO MEET LITA!!!! got her autograph and a picture. you know i'll post it up once i get the camera developed
Old 05-17-01, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky b******! Wish I was there. I've been looking at the highlights on gamespot.com and videogames.com. Nice to see some new games finally.
Old 05-17-01, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

seems like you are having a good time Jack
Old 05-17-01, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
jack are you going on saturday? If so let's meet up and cruise the show together, im going solo also.
Old 05-17-01, 11:25 PM

The games on day one looked cool, But where was all the free stuff that they normally give out? I only got one T-shirt instead of the 5 that I have averaged every day of the last three E3's. Even the free magazines were not as abundant as in past E3's.
Old 05-17-01, 11:36 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
what?!! several of you went at it alone? I went alone too!! worse thing in the world letting someone you don't know take a picture for you...blurred as all hell!

anyhow...IT WAS FREAKING GREAT TODAY!!! walked around for 6 hours. bag of freebies kept getting heavier and heavier (getting stuff for myself and my buddies).

You guys, don't forget about the Tecmo booth. every few hours they have the DOA3 models on stage that you can take pictures with (and believe me, you don't want to miss them )

oh, E3....IT WAS FREAKING GREAT!!!! Holy crap. My jaw never hung open so long.

will report more when i get my notes together.

--HN
Old 05-17-01, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
That is True. the free stuff was to a limit. I bearly got flyers of stuff. I remember two years ago, the companys throw posters, pictures, printouts the works at you. this year you were lucky to get a company year booklet. still can't beat playing the games.
Old 05-18-01, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone want to pick me up some free stuff and mail it to me since I can't attend? I'll pay shipping.
Old 05-18-01, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My E3 day 1 impressions on the best of each console.

Day 1 best games of show:

Nintendo is dominating E3. All their games are living up to the hype! Its hard to pick a Gamecube game of show because they all rock. I would have to go with Smash Bros. Melee. It looked awesome and 4 player was smooth.

The Gameboy Advance was all over the E3 show floor. Almost every non-PC booth had GBA games being shown. It looks like GBA will continue the Gameboy domination of the handheld market.

Sony is also doing well at E3. That new Ghost N Goblins (I can't remeber the name right now) type game was very sweet. However my PS2 game of show would have to be Silent Hill 2. That game looks beautiful. The storyline looked intense and the scenes played in the demo looked very scary. The imagery was very disturbing.

EA is also having a great show. They were showing games for ALL consoles. Madden 2002 was set up on all consoles next to each other so everyone can compare. Gamecube seemed to have the smoothest, more detailed, better looking version over the Xbox and PS2 versions.

EA had hands-down had the PC game of the show. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault blew everyone away. It is Saving Private Ryan turned into a PC game. The beach scene was straight out of the movie. With your fellow soldiers being blown away all around you. It was intense. The EA guys then showed the level where you go into a town that is filled with German snipers. You have to protect your soldiers by going building to building clearing out the snipers. Medal of Honor PC game of Show!

Xbox was a huge let down. The mighty Halo had really bad framerate problems and slowdown was everywhere. Gotham did not play better than GT3, and NFL Fever is no Madden. The Xbox game of show would have to go to Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. This game had the best graphics from all the Xbox titles and was fun to play.

Games I did NOT get to play (yet):
Rogue Squadron 2 (There was just too many people in the Gamecube booth around this game. I'm hoping to go hands on tomorrow with RS2!)

Unreal 2 (PC) I heard this game was at E3. But I guess I ran out of time and didn't find it. Hopefully tomorrow.

Xbox WWF Raw is War. Once again there is too much to see at E3. I ran out of time and couldn't get to this game. Hopefully I can get to see it on Day 2 as people have said good things about it

Its clear that Nintendo dominated this years E3. Also here is an article from Steven Kent of MSNBC, on who is dominating the show:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/574896.asp

[Edited by CreatureX on 05-18-01 at 07:15 AM]
Old 05-18-01, 08:18 AM

Damn, I envy all you guys. I'm trying to watch a live braodcast on http://www.gamespot.com, and all they do is either interviews with people I don't care about or play some game no one cares about, that, and my computers too slow--I can't get any decent pictures--no stream at all. The least they could do is play some games poeple actually care about and find out what they're like instead of interviews with people explaining how to play the games!!
Old 05-18-01, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Someone please, please land some info. on Unreal 2.

Thanks to all for the info./updates about what's going on. Nice to get it from a fan's perspective.
Old 05-18-01, 10:18 AM
Banned

Just curious, how are you getting in?

Do you people have websites and did you get some E3 ticket or something? 'Cause I have a site, but didn't get a ticket and live 5 mins. from the show. I'd love to go.

Let me know ASAP, thanks.
Old 05-18-01, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by CreatureX
My E3 day 1 impressions on the best of each console.

Xbox was a huge let down. The mighty Halo had really bad framerate problems and slowdown was everywhere. Gotham did not play better than GT3, and NFL Fever is no Madden. The Xbox game of show would have to go to Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. This game had the best graphics from all the Xbox titles and was fun to play.

[Edited by CreatureX on 05-18-01 at 07:15 AM]
I agree, just wasn't what I expected, the crowds seemed to be at Nintendo. Like the fancy water fountain they set up?
Old 05-18-01, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

the problem with XBOX is, they don't have enough playable. They don't have RAW IS WAR playable yet. very odd in did. they had plenty of footage on screen, but not much playable. and the access to the merchindise they are offering is a hassel to get to. but they do have some mighty good stuff.

Nintendo is indeed the place to be. for your chance to win a GBA, to see the shooting fountain. to play super smash brothers, it is the best location in the place.

You guys see the new MGS2 trailer? my god. it just ruled!
Old 05-19-01, 01:34 PM

The X-Box was a huge let down. Halo looked terrible. Framerate issues, clipping, etc.. What do they have in that VCR sized box, a Celeron 333? Every single game, with exception to Munch's, had slowdown and was not even close to being impressive. Cel Damage, had nice Cel Shading, but the colors and concept were herendous. I for one had plans to buy an X-Box but won't until they get some decent titles out there. The controllers suck as well. Very thick, uncomfortable to use and the buttons were feeble. The D-Pad and Analog sticks felt cheap. Oh yeah, that Simpsons Crazy Taxi rip off was the worst for X-Box. If you saw Simpsons wrestling last year at E3 (Which it wasn't iproved a heck of alot), then you get the idea as to where they stand on this one. TONS of clipping, bad collisions, untextured polys. It looks like a 2nd Gen PSX game. Why no CelShading for a Simpsons game? If it had half the effort of cel shading that was put into Cel Damage, then it would have caught my eye. But it blows!!

It wasn't the water fountain... it wasn't the little foam Purple box they were giving out... it was Rogue Squadron 2... Luigi's Mansion... Wave Race... Mario Kart for the GBA... These games... everything at Nintendo looked INCREDIBLE! I was apprehensive since the last 2 years they, IMO, had the worst booth at E3.. but here they are back with a venegence. No slowdown... great gameplay.. good solid titles to appeal to everyone. It was just a beautiful thing to see Nintendo come back. Can anyone believe the size of the GameCube? .. oh My God that thing is tiny. The controllers to my surprise felt really comfortable. I was really skeptical since the D-Pad and Yellow Analog stick were so low, but it actually works out pretty good for us bigger hand yanks. Even the Starfox platformer was pretty fun.. although I was taken back by it not being a 3D shooter.. it was beautiful. BEST OF SHOW.

MGS2 was intense... I'm so in awe of what they are doing in that game. I was dissapointed though that Konami didn't hype it up more and have a bigger display. Silent Hill 2 looked pretty impressive as well. Some headless bodies from the morgue (I think), man I was freaking out even on the showrom floor. Incredible lighting and AI. Maximo .. the return of Ghosts and Goblins in 3D... this game was just plain fun. Solid graphics.. great controllability.. cool characters.. man.. I couldn't put it down. Tales of Destiny 2... I don't know if anyone out there played the first one.. but it's an old-school RPG at it's finest with real time battles. A Great piece of gaming. Klonoa 2 looked great.. played great.. along with Pac-Man World 2 (Which blew away the first) Namco had 3 good solid titles.

Did anyone see Baulder's Gate Dark Alliance? ... DID THIS NOT HAVE THE BEST WATER EFFECT EVER SEEN IN A VIDEO GAME? Oh My ... God.. multiple times I was running through water and I couldn't believe how they did it!.. water ripples on top of older ones.. just blew my mind.. the torch effect distortion.. the blood... the controllability was really impressive, it played like I always thought Baulders should play like. And that Bar Wench with the.. ahem.. whoo-ha's? hehe I had my doubts about them doing this but once I saw it.. let's just say MGS2, GT3 and Dark Alliance are going home with me on day of release.

Going to put money down on GameCube now.

On last thought... it's all about the Galleon Punching Puppet
Old 05-20-01, 02:05 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
I'll let others (and others' websites) give the in depth info. All's i have are pics which i promised (tho i'm sorry I didn't get them up as fast as i had wanted to). They're at http://www.expertstartup.com . Enjoy!

--HN
Old 05-21-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tigger

Did anyone see Baulder's Gate Dark Alliance? ...
I didn't seen any E3 coverage of this, is there a site out there with streaming video of this sucker?
Old 05-21-01, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Tigger

Did anyone see Baulder's Gate Dark Alliance? ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally poster by Aghama

I didn't seen any E3 coverage of this, is there a site out there with streaming video of this sucker?

This was being showed at the Interplay Booth (if you were lucky enough to get inside), as well as in the Sony PS2 area, along with Interplay having their Console Lineup Promo Reel out near the registration area. They were giving away free upperbody massages as well!
Anyways, the lighting and water effects in this game are the best I have seenon the PS2 as of yet. Definalty in my top 5 games I will be getting this year!

For all info on Dark Alliance: http://www.interplay.com/bgdarkalliance/mainpage.htm

and for the trailer...
http://ps2.ign.com/previews/15580.html
Old 05-21-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really impressed with Wolfenstein. The anim for Medal of Honor looked great! Some friends who saw the game raved about it. Some of you played it?
Old 05-22-01, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dark Alliance was interesting to play. Of course I love the Baldur's Gate games for the PC so I will be buying this. I also want to get GT3. Silent Hill 2 was very Strange looking and a must buy I fear also. Dark cloud looked interesting also. I have to admit to enjoy playing dynasty warriors 3. Extermination and twisted metal black have possibilities.

not enough free stuff. and the free stuff they had made us earn the tshirts
Old 05-26-01, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by gcribbs
not enough free stuff. and the free stuff they had made us earn the tshirts
Oh, like the girls that made you take off the shirt you were wearing and put theirs on? Yeah, that pisses me off. Too much work! I was very disappointed, too. In years past, the first day has been okay (for getting freebies), the second day great, the third just a matter of tidying up. This time, day one SUCKED, day two SUCKED, and day three sorta made up for it. Shirts and babe pictures (that Everquest elf girl was on my plane from Phoenix-can't walk around an airport with a giant Q-Tip without attracting some attention) were few and far between, but Nintendo had some nice stuff (GC and GBA squeezies and GBA wallets, much nicer than PS2's wallet with a STICKER of their logo on it-CHEAP!!!), and Eidos FINALLY put out some Tomb Raider movie stuff-Got some posters and buttons. X-Box had NOTHING. I got a stupid rubber ball with most of the logo missing and a fabric frisbee with Microsoft on it. There was decent stuff to be had in Kentia. All those booths are so desperate to attract people, they'll give you just about anything but a hooker. "Akira" theatrical posters, lots of weird stuff like squishy rocks, non-game magazines (Vibe, Source, FHM) and CD cases. I didn't get any major T-shirts, this is the first year I didn't get any from Sony, just little stuff like UGO and some kind of China development company, I think. All in all, okay, but hopefully next year will be better. At least all the majors had at least SOME really great games.
Oh, and my game of the show had to be the Britney Spears game! Okay, just kidding...at least until they add that zoom feature so I can get *ahem* closer to Britney.

[Edited by TheVelvetRope on 05-25-01 at 11:00 PM]
Old 05-26-01, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah too much work I mean wait in line to take off your shirt to put their shirt on then you have to wear it all day or take it off and change again . or the dolby digital roll the dice and only win if you hit 5 and 1 -what a rip. I never could get the stupid 5 and 1

I did end up with a Sony PS2 bag(nice fabric bag )for carrying PS2 unit and accessories ,a PS2 hat and one of the blue Sony shirts the employees were wearing. Of course it helped to get into the sony party.

Xbox gave out nothing much except the big paper bag. I was expecting a shirt or two from them so that people would wear them and advertise the XBox. they are going to spend 500 million. the free tshirts would have been a drop in the bucket.

at least nintendo gave out some Game boy advances to selected people. i waited for that special xbox show and they gave away nothing. it was boring also. sad so sad

hope it is better in future years. I am not sure if i am going to try to get in next year or not.