I'm looking for a good wargame

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I'm looking for a good wargame

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-01, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any ideas? I'm mainly a console game player with a PS2 and DC but I'm looking for a good wargame.The only PC game I play is Highheat2002 and FOFootball.It doesn't have to be new and older classic would be ok also.My system is a modest 733MHz celeron with 64mb 11mb 3d video.Thanks.
Old 05-09-01, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Civilization 2 and Alpha Centauri are really fun.
Old 05-09-01, 05:00 PM

for simplicity and fun, nectaris: military madness for ps1 can't be beat. i still play it.
Old 05-09-01, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
for PC, I've heard excellent things about Shogun: Total War. It's only $20 at compuexpert.com as well. Not sure about the required specs though.

Tuan Jim
Old 05-10-01, 06:57 AM

You should get the newest issue of PC Gamer. It has a demo of a game that is a toned down version of a war simulator that the military uses. I'm not a war gamer, so I haven't played it, but it sounded pretty cool to me.
Old 05-10-01, 10:27 AM

Since your mainly a Console gamer, some people would disagree, but one of the best games I have ever played on the PlayStation is Medal of Honor & Medal of Honor Underground. The graphics are not mind blowing, but they are better then decent for what they are attempting. The AI is incredible and you get a real sense of war and your missions. I can only say DON's HESITATE when picking it up. Both are really awesome!
Old 05-10-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try Red Alert 2 for PC
Old 05-10-01, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By "Wargame" I understand you to mean historically based games, such as The Operational Art of War I & II (which is great). For "strategy" games, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns, Warlords, Sacrifice and Age of Empires II + Conquistadors Expansion Pack are all great.
Old 05-10-01, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ever play Steel Panthers? It's a WWII game based on the scale of single vehicles and squads. It came out quite some time ago, but has been redone and is now distributed free as Steel Panthers: World at War. The amount of detail in this game is amazing. I have been playing it daily for months now. It's a big download (around 400 MB), but well worth it.

Go to:
http://www.matrixgames.com

A true hardcore wargamer won't be disappointed.
Old 05-11-01, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metal of Honor:Allied Assult should be pretty good, which should come out in 10/01. Its a fps and its kinda based on SPR. Heres a preview