Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you HATE Most about the VIDEO GAMING INDUSTRY ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What do you HATE Most about the VIDEO GAMING INDUSTRY ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-01, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BIG>HYPE!</BIG>

This is the worst thing affecting the videogame industry IMO.

Offenders are both the companies and media that dish it out,
and the consumers who so eagerly lap it up.

I could insert a huge rant here, but you probably know what I'm talking about....
Old 04-30-01, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Darknight
Not really going to comment on what my thoughts on the industry is, but I did want to comment on a couple issues.

First pricing. Pricing is not too high. Most of you just don't realize what is factored into the cost of developing a game these days. Heck you even ignore the fact that prices have gone down in the last five years, not up. Those that think game prices are too high are simply ignorant of the factors involved and have ignored the fact that prices have gone down.

Second issue is what games get released where. You think a lot of stuff in Japan is cool that doesn't get released here, but you can also bet there is hundreds of more crap that the Japanese get that you should be glad you don't know of. Complaining about what Americans like and don't like is stupid when you don't see that they get the same shovelware in Japan too. There are also games that get released here that don't get released over there and the same principle applies. We do get a majority of the games that are worth porting and the ones that don't that are still good, usually are niche titles that really wouldn't do well over here. Disappointing that I can't play it in English, so I play it in Japanese. But in the end, I understand why it won't get released here
i don't like comments like this...
Old 04-30-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
What I hate about the computer gaming industry right now is the fact that they're not making any effort any longer to make their games more system friendly. That is to say that no longer are games playable on a low-end system, albeit with crappy graphics, but now even with a top of the line model you're still not assured of a smooth ride in terms of performance, and that just sucks. I'm just cheesed off by games like Giants (playable on my system, but had to turn a lot of features off), B&W, Tribes 2, etc. where even with an 800mhz+ system and a new video card, you're still seeing choppiness or lags in playing -- that's just not right.

Tuan Jim
Old 04-30-01, 04:33 PM

I was relieved to find out that the GBA was going to be primarily a 2D system (with some faux-3D "mode 7-style" capabilities). It will be the most advanced videogaming platform existing for which development houses will have to think "creatively" and not just whirl the screen around a bunch of polygons with low-res textures and call it "style". Already we have a Mario game (albeit recycled) for GBA and a brand new side-scrolling Castlevania game... I heard a rumor that another Metroid is in the works too. I can't wait...

Now 3D's great, don't get me wrong (Rayman2 mixed hand-drawn graphics and 3D to actually improve upon its 2D ancestor), but this style of gaming has pushed 2D aside, which is an equally impressive style of game - it just so happens it doesn't require the same processing power as 3D, so it's looked upon as not only technologically inferior but creativelly inferior. This is NOT the case, though it probably is the perception among the gaming public that only buys titles that bend the capabilities of their $500 graphics card.

I think of the Atari 2600. First there were many "one-screen" games (like Kaboom! and Combat - or even Adventure)... this was like the "first dimension". Then we started seeing the "scrolling games" (River Raid, Haunted House, Defender)... ("second dimension") and apart from "I, Robot" in the arcade there weren't 3D games everywhere until the fighting game explosion of the early 90s. ("third dimension")

Now everything in the arcade is either 3D driving, fighting, or shooting. Pinball's the only reason to go anymore...

~Steve

[Edited by Steve Y on 04-30-01 at 02:37 PM]
Old 04-30-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved games like Super Metroid and Dracula X: Nocturne in the Midnight. I don't think I have enjoyed any 3D games as much as those 2D masterpieces. I hope the GBA brings back some of this type of gameplay.
Old 04-30-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Issue1:
Price is the biggest issue with me. I don't have a great source of income so I only buy the games I really want, which is usually the greater RPGs. That's the reason why I moved away from Nintendo games. I remember paying about $65 for Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Deluxe Hyper Fighting Championship Edition or whatever. I loved the game but $65 is way too much for just a standard game. There wasn't any goodies with it to justify the price (the Lunar PSX games sort of justify their prices with all the stuff they come with). PSX games at the time where $40-50 and that was much more reasonable but still not great.

Issue 2:
General ignorance of casual gamers. It's just not right to see people buying Tomb Raider #$@! instead of great games like Jet Grind Radio. This is why I'm upset about the death of the Dreamcast. Granted it was mainly Sega's fault for not advertising the games and system (I remember about 6 total commercials for anything DC related). DC has a glut of great games and yet most of them have probably not sold. People judge games on graphics and not on gameplay. That's why the PS2 is still around and the DC is dying.

Old 05-02-01, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by porieux
<BIG>HYPE!</BIG>

This is the worst thing affecting the videogame industry IMO.

Offenders are both the companies and media that dish it out,
and the consumers who so eagerly lap it up.

I could insert a huge rant here, but you probably know what I'm talking about....
I HATE this. Especially the gaming "media" - despite it not really being their fault that a game sucks. They hype a game for months based on their preview copy, then when it actually hits the shelves, it's a piece of crap. Then 6 months later, they are breaking their elbows patting themselves on the back by saying "we knew that game would be bad, but HERE'S a game that will be out soon that will be GREAT!".