Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

WWF - X Factor, No copyright issues with Marvel Comics ?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

WWF - X Factor, No copyright issues with Marvel Comics ?

Old 04-11-01, 10:54 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I thought Marvel Comics would have the copyright to the name X Factor

Old 04-11-01, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't know but that music sure is gay.
Old 04-12-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe they're paying royalties for it. I remember they used to pay Marvel for the rights to be able to use the name "Hulk".

Besides X-Factors cool.
Old 04-12-01, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
First of all, it would be a trademark infringement, not copyright.

Secondly, trademark rights lapse with lack of usage or rigorous enforcement. Marvel has not published an X-Factor comic for some years now, so the trademark has probably lapsed, and even if it has not, it is doubtful they would be able to pursue a successful suit.
Old 04-12-01, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Marvdog
Hey, Uncle Kracker is cool! His debut album was excellent, including the new X-Factor theme.
Old 04-12-01, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,052 Likes on 684 Posts
Did Marvel create the term 'x-factor'? They used it well before the comic, at least -- the Mad Thinker referred to it (meaning an unknown factor that could not be anticipated) way back in Fantastic Four #15.
Old 04-12-01, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Zoomer
Originally posted by Marvdog
Hey, Uncle Kracker is cool! His debut album was excellent, including the new X-Factor theme.
Great point
Old 04-12-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gangrel is a comic trademark too.
Old 04-13-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its been x-pac's finisher for the longest time. so i doubt they would sue for the name of a stable over the name of a finishing move..

i hear the dog food company is after HHH over his finishing move.
in any case. the stable sucks. i never liked X-pac, and man.. justin credible... argh. this team is terrible.
Old 04-13-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
its been x-pac's finisher for the longest time. so i doubt they would sue for the name of a stable over the name of a finishing move..

in any case. the stable sucks. i never liked X-pac, and man.. justin credible... argh. this team is terrible.
I'm sorry but X-Pac is a great talent. He's disliked cause of his size. Besides Credible is a great wrestler. He carried ECW for the longest time ever. Maybe you're just a conditioned fan.
Old 04-13-01, 06:17 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by edytwinky

I'm sorry but X-Pac is a great talent. He's disliked cause of his size. Besides Credible is a great wrestler. He carried ECW for the longest time ever. Maybe you're just a conditioned fan.
You are joking right....
Old 04-13-01, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by edytwinky

Actually, i see X-pac's lack of mic skills, lack of wrestling moves, and lack of character.

without this few things how the hell do you expect someone to actually like the person?

His angle with jericho was simply terrible. He had NO MIC SKILLS! he couldn't sell anything for shyte. and if you call the bronco buster an actual decent move... man your on crack. and ooooh.. the x-factor.. the worlds most electriflying move in the wwf...

Justin is good, i admit that. but teaming him up with x-pac just doesn't cut it. it may have worked back then, but it doesn't work now. justin can't show his skills in the singles matches since he is hooked in X-FACTOR..

X-pac is simply terrible. from his look, to his intro, to his character. He should have dropped the whole DX "suck it" image months before he did... considering the rest of the members of DX moved on... why the hell couldn't he?

X-PAC... SUCKS!!
Old 04-13-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

X-Pac sucks...i second that!
Old 04-14-01, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, i see X-pac's lack of mic skills, lack of wrestling moves, and lack of character.

without this few things how the hell do you expect someone to actually like the person?

His angle with jericho was simply terrible. He had NO MIC SKILLS! he couldn't sell anything for shyte. and if you call the bronco buster an actual decent move... man your on crack. and ooooh.. the x-factor.. the worlds most electriflying move in the wwf...

Justin is good, i admit that. but teaming him up with x-pac just doesn't cut it. it may have worked back then, but it doesn't work now. justin can't show his skills in the singles matches since he is hooked in X-FACTOR..

X-pac is simply terrible. from his look, to his intro, to his character. He should have dropped the whole DX "suck it" image months before he did... considering the rest of the members of DX moved on... why the hell couldn't he?

[/B]
Alright, I will admit that X-Pac does lack in the mic skills area and his character is outdated, but that's not all his fault. Let me just say this though, he is a great talent in the ring and he does sell. The bronco buster is not a real move, it's not meant to be; just like the People's Elbow.

You also bring up the point that the rest of DX moved on. Let's see....Road Dogg, not wrestling anymore....Billy Gunn, has jobbed to X-Factor many times in the past few weeks........Shawn Michaels (I love the guy, but not on TV cause of his attitude).....Chyna, forced back to Women's Wrestling....Triple H is the ****. So if you ask me at least X-Pac's doing something right now.

I understand many people don't like X-Pac and their entitled to their own opinion. Personally I respect the guy especially all that he's been through to make it into the industry. That's my two cents.

Old 04-14-01, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember when he had short hair and no beard and wrestled as the lightning kid. There was never a bigger goof ball put into a ring. Luckly he grew the hair and beard and has really gotten about as far as he could hope for. He's a decent Cruiser Weight, but the WCW probably has at least 10 Cruiser Weights with more overall talent.
Old 04-14-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well what i ment when i said that DX moved on while he was still stuck in the outfit, and hell looks like he still is half the time.

is, during the time of the break up, everyone started there own deal. Sure chyna is now in the womens devision.. but guess what.. she's a woman(hard to belive huh)
Road dogg was coming back with k-kwick. not much of a come back, but still before his drug problems, he actually looked like he was getting a push.
Billy Gunn's "the one" image sucked. but that is only because of ring rust effecting BA. he will be getting a push once he goes to WCW. HHH.. well what else can be said about him HBK.. well he has been rumored to appear again and has already made a contract out, but after that smack down outburst before wresltemania, he is in limbo now..

but X-pac. man the crotch chops should have been dumped a LOOOOONG time ago. and his in ring character needs to show something or else he will always be hated, not because he is a heel, but because he can't carry anything with the fans. they all think he sucks. as for the show of the bronco buster... you dont see anyone happy about that one. it has lived waaaay past its time. hell when mae young uses your move.. its time to get a new one. the x-factor looks weaker then anything else. hell the warm looks like it hurts more then the x-factor.

Old 04-15-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well what i ment when i said that DX moved on while he was still stuck in the outfit, and hell looks like he still is half the time.

is, during the time of the break up, everyone started there own deal. Sure chyna is now in the womens devision.. but guess what.. she's a woman(hard to belive huh)
Road dogg was coming back with k-kwick. not much of a come back, but still before his drug problems, he actually looked like he was getting a push.
Billy Gunn's "the one" image sucked. but that is only because of ring rust effecting BA. he will be getting a push once he goes to WCW. HHH.. well what else can be said about him HBK.. well he has been rumored to appear again and has already made a contract out, but after that smack down outburst before wresltemania, he is in limbo now..

but X-pac. man the crotch chops should have been dumped a LOOOOONG time ago. and his in ring character needs to show something or else he will always be hated, not because he is a heel, but because he can't carry anything with the fans. they all think he sucks. as for the show of the bronco buster... you dont see anyone happy about that one. it has lived waaaay past its time. hell when mae young uses your move.. its time to get a new one. the x-factor looks weaker then anything else. hell the warm looks like it hurts more then the x-factor.

The worm? Now that's a total disgrace to wrestling. The bronco buster at least has an effective move to keep them waiting by the turnbuckle. Now the worm is just pathetic looking bulldog and it requires the opponent to lay there and wait like an hour just for a chop. That's not going to do it for me. You also talk about people copying the Bronco Buster, well don't forget to add one of WCW's best cruiserweights, Rey Mysterio Jr. You figure he'd have enough talent to get his own moves.

And hell, X-Pac could always bring back some high-flying stuff but you've got to weigh the consequences especially because of his past injuries. Bottom line, he is trying to get away from the DX gimmick. People may not like him as a wrestler, but hey, at least he gets a reaction from the crowd everytime he goes out. There are many wrestlers that go out there in silence and have their matches in silence, like say Bill Gunn.

Old 04-18-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition