Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Satellite Owners - Please Advise On Sports Blackouts ...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Satellite Owners - Please Advise On Sports Blackouts ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-01, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How extensive are they? I mean, let's say I'm sitting in Hartford, CT ... and I turn on MSG (Madision Square Garden) - is the Yankees game going to be on - or a black screen? The Red Sox on NESN (New England Sports Network)? Other networks ...

The Multi Sport Package is available in some geographical locations when you subscribe to America's Top 100 or 150 programming package. This package may be subject to extensive blackouts of sporting events and other programming noted in the guide.
Old 04-11-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<rolling up sleeves>

Okay, I can't speak for Dishnet or C-Band (because I don't work there nor do I know anything about them), but with DirecTv, blackouts are determined by zip code. So if you live in CT, your regional sports nets are probably going to be NESN and Fox Sports NE...MSG will be out of market so even if you get say...the sports package (with DirecTv it's $10/mo), when a pro game comes on it will be blacked out...that's where premium sports packages come in...MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, MLS Shootout, and ESPN Gameplan are OUT-OF-MARKET sports subscpritions, meaning that they will give you all the games out of your market (IE you won't get any Red Sox etc, but would be able to pick up those games locally)

NFL Sunday Ticket is different because the only blackouts are when a local game does not sell out 72 hrs in advance

ESPN Fullcourt does not have any blackouts unless you live in the ACC territory...

Hope that helps!

[Edited by JMLEWIS1 on 04-11-01 at 08:42 PM]
Old 04-11-01, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JMLEWIS1
Hope that helps!
Thanks a bunch. With that information, I may forgo Satellite, and get Digital Cable instead ...

Then again, I really don't know ...
Old 04-13-01, 02:02 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
No more emulation for Soup? Regional Blackouts don't apply
Old 04-13-01, 02:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dek
No more emulation for Soup? Regional Blackouts don't apply
I never emulated. I knew many a person that did ... some of which are my closest friends.
Old 02-24-03, 11:44 AM
Cool New Member

I hope it is okay to bring this thread up after two years... but I have a question related to this.

The Dish Network website indicates that if I were to subscribe to the Top 100 package, I can only receive one regional sports station. Living in the Boston area, I would like to be able to watch both the Celtics (Fox Sports New England) and the Red Sox (NESN). Does that mean that I can only choose between the two and only receive one? Also, those who receive either of those channels, how is the quality during the games? I have never had satellite before, but have heard of poor quality compared to cable during sports broadcasts. Thank you for your time.

--
ehanson
Old 02-24-03, 01:25 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

First, here's the best source of what you're allowed to see:
http://dish.fxep.com
http://directv.fxep.com

Next, when I had Top 100, I was only getting 1 channel-Empire. However, because of my location I was also allowed to see what MSG would broadcast (at the time anyway). But I had to order the regional sports package (4.99) to see it. For me it was worth it (for most people it's a waste because of the blackouts). So my guess is it would be similar for you.

Generally speaking, PQ for most of the regionals varies for basketball- it's not as good as ESPN, but not as bad as TNN. Baseball- rarely does anything move fast enough to notice pixelling or blurs. I watch hockey all the time, and I'm pretty happy. College football on the regionals looks like crap, IMO.
I've watched both of your channels when there's college hockey (which isn't subject to blackout), and everthing looked about the same as the other channels. I 've also caught a few pro games when they forget to black them out, and didn't notice a dramatic difference from what I get.
So there may be times where you miss analog, other times you'll marvel at the picture.

FWIW- Last I new NESN was airing without a DISH contract. That was as of mid January, but I don't pay much attention to channels that don't effect me, so something might have changed. From what I remember, both parties agreed to air through the 2003 season while negotiating.