Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What's up with Bravo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-01, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That channel really annoys me. They have such an artsy-fartsy, pompous, snooty image and attitude, but their highbrow movies are usually cut, edited and NEVER (from what I've seen) shown in a widescreen aspect ratio. I just don't see them as the purveyors of high art that they seem to think they are. Give me Turner Classic Movies or American Movie Channel any day. Heck, even Sci-Fi channel shows a good number of letterboxed movies. Maybe I'm just missing something---anyone want to defend Bravo?
Old 03-31-01, 08:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I agree, I am disappointed by them. As far as watching independent movies, both Sundance and IFC do a much better job.
Old 03-31-01, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Uh...they did play Cemetary man a couple of times before (this is not an endorsement of Bravo...I think it sucks too).

Ever watch "Inside the actors studio"? I just want to strangle the host with his pretentious atitude.
Old 03-31-01, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bodai
I agree, I am disappointed by them. As far as watching independent movies, both Sundance and IFC do a much better job.
By the by, Bravo owns IFC. The idea is that they can't have certain things on basic cable, so it's cut out on Bravo, but when the same movie is seen on IFC, it is uncut.
This is because IFC is marketed as a tier service, not as a basic channel and thus they can get away with more.

JoeC
Old 03-31-01, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used to be an avid Bravo fan back in the days when they ran very few commercials. It was the best place to see films as close to the original as possible. But about two years ago, they suddenly got real interested in selling ad time. Now their stuff is cut up as bad as stuff on TNN.

Bravo is a big disappointment.
Old 04-01-01, 12:31 AM

I stopped watching Bravo years ago when I noticed they were cutting movies and showing commercials. AMC's movies are now "brought to you by Pringles" or whatever. I have digital cable now and see lots of great stuff on IFC, Sundance, all the Encore channels(Action & Mystery espec)and even the International Channel, which has uncut (I think) Hong Kong movies on Thursdays.
Old 06-17-01, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Inside the Actors Studio on Bravo is hilarious. James Lipton, the host, is so serious about everything. No wonder SNL makes fun of him so much.

Old 06-18-01, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, I think that Bravo actually shows quite a few of their movies in widescreen if I'm not mistaken...

They do have way too many commercials though.
Old 06-18-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95% of the stuff I see on Bravo is in incorrect aspect ratio; the films they show on IFC Fridays are always edited and in Pan&Scan. World Cinema is a little better; I remember them showing at least one film in its OAR; I think it was the original The Vanishing.
Old 06-18-01, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I went home for lunch today and, while flipping through the channels, I noticed that Bravo was showing some French period piece letterboxed. It had Gerrard Depardeu in it, so I didn't stick around long enough to see what it was.
Old 06-18-01, 03:36 PM

I have to add that i think Inside the actors studio is great... I watch it everyday.

I had never noticed how many cards were on James' desk until will ferell had a stack 3 feet high on his. Now i cant' help but laugh..

"tonight as with all nights, we end our program with a survey compiled by grarerereblah of the brugblahblahblahbbbbbblabuuuuuuuu"
Old 06-19-01, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I, too, am a big fan of Inside the Actors Studio. It is the only reason I watch Bravo at all.
Old 06-20-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I had never noticed how many cards were on James' desk until will ferell had a stack 3 feet high on his. Now i cant' help but laugh..

Further your point, every time I watch Inside the Actors Studio, I keep "seeing" Will Ferrell instead of James Lipton and I can't help but

Old 06-20-01, 11:28 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Actors Studio.

So I had heard all about this and read various articles on it, but ahd never watched the show. then I saw te SNL skit and laughed even though I did not really know what was up.

So then I got a tivo and setup a season pass for actors studio, and started watching, I really enjoy it, but as with others I keep seeing Will Ferrell.

The 1st time I saw Lipton laughing out loud at a response I about peed my pants. Just because of how on the SNL skit was.

I never watch the q&a at the end. It annoys me.