SNL with Julia Stiles

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-01, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How would you rate this week's SNL with

Julia Stiles / Aerosmith?

Overall: 5 or 6 (ehh.)

OK sketches: Martha Stewart opener / Weekend Update (although they screwed up five or six times with the graphics)

Horrible: The doberman sketch / Wake up Wakefield (not one laugh)

** More important question: Isn't TINA FEY hot????? **
Old 03-18-01, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jeffkjoe
How would you rate this week's SNL with

Julia Stiles / Aerosmith?

Overall: 5 or 6 (ehh.)

OK sketches: Martha Stewart opener / Weekend Update (although they screwed up five or six times with the graphics)

Horrible: The doberman sketch / Wake up Wakefield (not one laugh)

** More important question: Isn't TINA FEY hot????? **
Alright, so I didn't watch it this evening. More importantly, Tina Fey is hot, hot, and hot.
Old 03-18-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched it and barely laughed once. There are just some of the cast who aren't funny and there are some who are. They seemed to focus on the unfunny again tonight.

Tina Fey is hot.
Old 03-18-01, 09:11 AM

I wonder where she got that scar on her face...
Old 03-18-01, 10:35 AM

Yeah, last night's episode was pretty disappointing. Every other sketch seemed to include Jerry Minor and Maya Rudolph, neither of whom I find funny. There were some funny parts, though:

- In the Apollo sketch, every time they returned to Tracy Morgan's character on stage, he was making feminine hygiene jokes. This might be a reference to Martin Lawrence's infamous monologue on SNL...

- The Ahnuld part of weekend update, though the rest of the update was pretty funny as well. "I am American as baseball, home run and apple strudel!" And then the part about climbing into some Midwesterners womb and rebirthing...

- The opening Martha Stewart sketch.

- I thought the funniest was the German kids show parody "The Smile Masters." I could not stop laughing at that.
Old 03-18-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Maximi

- The Ahnuld part of weekend update, though the rest of the update was pretty funny as well. "I am American as baseball, home run and apple strudel!" And then the part about climbing into some Midwesterners womb and rebirthing...

- I thought the funniest was the German kids show parody "The Smile Masters." I could not stop laughing at that.
The Arnold skit was funny, except whoever was doing him (I forget who it was) did an AWFUL impression of him.

I couldn't even watch that German kids show. After about a minute of it, I turned the show off, popped in my Clerks Uncensoredf disc, and listened to the commentary for the first 3 episodes.

Overall, a poor show, the high point being IMHO the monologue. When Tracey asked Julia to go over to her place, and she told himm he was married, the next line was hilarious: "That's why I said your place." The whole show went downhill from there, pretty much.
Old 03-18-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Overall, it sucked. Julia Stiles isn't funny at all. Of course, the writing didn't help, she may be funny with the right material.

The only skit I liked was the opening with Martha Stewart.

I work in news, so it was cool to watch the graphics screw up on Weekend Update. I always love it when a network f#cks up. Makes us "locals" feel better.
Old 03-18-01, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the sketch with the mumbling director wasn't that bad. It had it's moments.

And the Weekend Update was probably the funniest thing of the entire show.

The German Kiddie show was hilarious at first just because it was so weird. I stopped laughing after a while though because they didn't really do anything except scream German at the top of their lungs.

That sketch at the post office was horrible, as was the Apollo sketch.

Anyone noticed that Tracy Morgan has been in almost all the opening host monologues lately?
Old 03-18-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You've gotta love jokes about German humor, it was great. Other than that, the show sucked big time. The news is awful now, just a bunch of misdelivered George Bush jokes. I only kept watching to see Aerosmith.
Old 03-18-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mafia81RCV

You've gotta love jokes about German humor, it was great. Other than that, the show sucked big time. The news is awful now, just a bunch of misdelivered George Bush jokes. I only kept watching to see Aerosmith.
Is there such a thing as a misdelivered Dubya joke? Any joke about Dubya, no matter how misdelivered, is bound to get at least a chuckle out of me. Keep em comin'.
Old 03-19-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That post ofice sketch was so true it wasn't funny. I thought only my post office was like that!

The funy thing is the line is always super long but the parking lot has a sign that says you are only allowed to park their 15 minutes! As if you could get in & out of there that fast!
Old 03-19-01, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by eluminati
I wonder where she got that scar on her face...
You know I was wondering the same thing. I was watching one of those failed attempts on a thursday Friends/SNL and I saw that major scar on her face. I mean she is still hot, but what is that scar all about.
Old 03-20-01, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The show was kind of weak. The short with the doberman was amusing.