Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Iron Chef watchers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-01, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard there was a show that featured Bobby Flay from Hot Off the Grill? I heard that he lost and got rather pissed off. Can anyone confirm this or is it just another urban legend?

Old 03-05-01, 05:58 PM

Last year there was an episode taped in New York that had Iron Chef Japanese Masaharu Morimoto against Bobby Flay.

The ingredient was rock crab.

Morimoto won the battle.

On January 1 2001, there was a rematch.

Check http://www.ironchef.com for more details.

JoeC...the second battle was in Japan, btw
Old 03-05-01, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have they translated the rematch, and are they going to show it here sometime soon?
Old 03-05-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I heard at one time the rematch was to air on the Food Network sometime this summer.
Old 03-05-01, 06:51 PM

Food TV is expected to show this sometime around June.

JoeC...Fukui-san!
Old 03-05-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Bobby Flay...what a wanker.

Allez cuisine!!
Old 03-05-01, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay folks! You didn't read the topic so close...

Is it true that Flay freaked out? I know he was on the show, but can't confirm the rumor about him getting mad.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 03-05-01, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by guyot

Is it true that Flay freaked out? I know he was on the show, but can't confirm the rumor about him getting mad.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Well if it helps I don't know if this is what you are referring to but I saw the first one & from what I remember it was Iron Chef Morimoto who got very, very mad. I think he actually insulted Bobby Flay saying that he was not a chef but a joke & a disgrace to the profession b/c he did things like jump on top of the counter when the battle was over & he really played to the audience. I thought Flay really did act like a fool. GO Morimoto.
Old 03-05-01, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by guyot

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Flay got pissed because they were using some sort of magnetic induction range tops or something. Anyway there was some water spilled on the floor and when he was stir his pot it would shock him.

Old 03-06-01, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JoeC
Last year there was an episode taped in New York that had Iron Chef Japanese Masaharu Morimoto against Bobby Flay.

The ingredient was rock crab.

Morimoto won the battle.

On January 1 2001, there was a rematch.

Check http://www.ironchef.com for more details.

JoeC...the second battle was in Japan, btw
We have a winner!

When I first saw the title of this thread I got kind of spooked.
Old 03-06-01, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Both guys got pissed. Iron Chef Morimoto got pissed because Flay jumped up on the cutting board, and Flay got pissed because there was water on the floor, he kept getting shocked, and he cut himself at the very beginning. They really never dealt with whether or not he was annoyed when he lost, but that was strange, too. He almost seemed like an underdog in the studio.

r
Old 03-06-01, 12:14 PM

I don't know if anyone ever noticed this but Bobby Flay is a Jag-A$$. The guy is a total jerk, even on his own show. I have also heard many people say he is a real a$$ in person.

In that episode Morimoto was pissed because Flay stood on his cutting board. Morimoto explained that cutting boards and knives are sacred things to the Japanese, in fact they take extreme care of these items along with a few other kitchen items.

Flay was being a pompous jack-ass through the whole show and complained the whole time about the set-up of the kitchen.

Down with Flay!!
Old 03-06-01, 02:27 PM

I am so happy that Morimoto-san left Nobu in New York and is going to be the executive chef in his own restaurant in Philadelphia. What a boost to the local restaurant scene!

I can't wait to go when it opens!

JoeC...saving his money now...
Old 03-06-01, 02:36 PM

Another question which someone may or may not know the answer to ...

Last weekend in the eel battle (not the pike eel one), the challenger made a dish during the battle that never appeared in the tasting segment. He took cod roe and mixed it with some kind of chile (paste?), then stuffed an eel with it, battered it, and deepfried it. This was on a plate along with a risotto ring that had a deepfried fish head in the middle of it.

I know someone else must have noticed that this dish disappeared and can confirm that I am not insane.
Old 03-06-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
I don't know if anyone ever noticed this but Bobby Flay is a Jag-A$$. The guy is a total jerk, even on his own show. I have also heard many people say he is a real a$$ in person.

In that episode Morimoto was pissed because Flay stood on his cutting board. Morimoto explained that cutting boards and knives are sacred things to the Japanese, in fact they take extreme care of these items along with a few other kitchen items.

Flay was being a pompous jack-ass through the whole show and complained the whole time about the set-up of the kitchen.

Down with Flay!!
Yeah, even on his own show, he's a jack-a$$. He's definitely no Emiril...now that guy cracks me up.
Old 03-06-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bobby Flay is a jerk. I used to watch Grillin' & Chillin' and I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of Bobby Flay making fun of someone elses speech.

Old 03-06-01, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Plastic
Another question which someone may or may not know the answer to ...

Last weekend in the eel battle (not the pike eel one), the challenger made a dish during the battle that never appeared in the tasting segment. He took cod roe and mixed it with some kind of chile (paste?), then stuffed an eel with it, battered it, and deepfried it. This was on a plate along with a risotto ring that had a deepfried fish head in the middle of it.

I know someone else must have noticed that this dish disappeared and can confirm that I am not insane.
Are you talking about the dish not presented as one of the challenger's dishes PRIOR to the actual tasting segment or that particular dish wasn't shown being eaten by the tasting panel?

They don't always show each and every dish being tasted and discussed... in fact it pretty common.

[Edited by adboy151 on 03-06-01 at 07:48 PM]
Old 03-07-01, 11:44 AM

No, it was cooked by the challenger during the battle, but not shown during tasting (which I understand is not common) OR the "Challenger offers 3 dishes" montage where they show all of the dishes.

I thought everyone else would have noticed this because the challenger ended up with only 3 dishes, one of which was fish ice cream and another was an appetizer assortment.

If anyone else saw the show, they should remember it shown while being cooked because someone commented about hiding a fried eel head in risotto or at least someone should remember the fact that risotto was shown and discussed during the battle but was not in any dish.

No matter.
Old 03-07-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Plastic
No, it was cooked by the challenger during the battle, but not shown during tasting (which I understand is not common)...
i have watched every single episode Food Network has broadcast, and it is pretty common. Sometimes they have to edit a dish tasting out, or maybe at the very last minute a chef decides not to include it for various reasons. The fact that a dish may be left out or cooked wrong not mentioned just because, you know, you only have so much time in a 45 min show, so why bother mentioning it? i think since they dont make a big deal out of it, most people dont even realise when something is edited out or not tasted.

Oh, and to comment on the Flay-Morimoto battle, it was all and all pretty horrible, the setting was crude. Flay was justifiably upset about getting shocked, but maybe if he hadnt been acting like an a** and playing to the crowd like it was rugby match, then he wouldnt have gotten shocked in the first place. Morimoto however was far angrier at Flay's disrespectful grandstanding and defiling his cooking tools, becasue that is a big "No-No" in Japanese culture, akin to pissing in a graveyard here. Flay lost because he smothered the crab in his California/TexMex sauces (how exactly does one enjoy crab when it is drowned in corn and mayo?). All in all, if not for the hourlong "Iron Chef's in New York" segment before the Flay-Morimoto battle (especially that freaky little kid who idolized Morimoto, and Sakia-Sans lecture at the culinary institute), it would have been a wasted night of Iron Chef.

[Edited by iaido on 03-07-01 at 12:33 PM]