Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Who is the Mole?????

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Who is the Mole?????

Old 02-27-01, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I know there is another thread like this, but I want this to be only for guesses on who is the Mole before the last episode airs tomorrow night. Post here who you think it is, and why. I'll start:

I think the Mole is Steven. I think he is because he's made some very obvious mistakes. In tonights episode he saw the safe, yet didn't try any of the codes on it. He also has made comments to the effect of "If you were the Mole, how would you sabatoge this challenge?" Stuff like that is pretty sly, and if you aren't paying attention, then you'd pass right over it. This "alliance" think with Jim also has me thinking it is him. He's gaining the trust and confidence of Jim, and turning him towards Katheryn.

There are some hints that it may not be Steven, like when Jim passed over that book a couple of episodes ago, but everyone has had moments like that. It seems, in my opinion, that Steven is the Mole.
Old 02-27-01, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Steven also. I have thought so for some time, specially during the sniper contest when his radio "failed"
to work properly. Little things.

In tonight's episode, he refused to make ANY decision about which answer to take to determine which road/door to choose. It was always "okay, what do you think?"...like he had decided to not screw up the game (as he could have easily done) by influencing that game.

In the hotel, he seemed clueless. It appeared to me that the game (with only two non-mole participants) shifted. The Mole became determined to not intentionally impede or screw up the contest, but to force the other two to make it on their own. Otherwise, why is he so passive? He does not appear that stupid.
Old 02-28-01, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk God

randyc, I agree with you on the radio thing. However, Katheryn didn't even attempt to shoot the guy with her gun until he had already knocked over the vase thingy. That could just be her inablity to use the gun, though. I like this show, because they edit it in such a way that you can never really get a firm lead on who it is. One show you totally think it's Jim, while the next week you think it's Steve.
Old 02-28-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually think that the mole is Jim. I think the editing makes it hard to look for the clues...although they claim they are there. However, he seems like he'd be a good mole so that's the reason I'm guessing it's him.
Old 02-28-01, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it is Jim. He is just too smart and contributed too much. He could have said he didn't speak French or Spanish, yet he did to help his team. If he was the mole, he did a pretty crappy job.
Old 02-28-01, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it is Steven as well, he didn't even tell Kathern that he had a Fridge in his room tonight. but Kathren could be it, covering it up with her crying which is a nice cover.
Old 02-28-01, 01:11 AM

The most obvious choice seems to be Steven, and I'm sure that the ABC producers are going to throw a changeup at us. My choice is Jim, because he seemed to me at the beginning to be fitting in as one of the "players" and not the Mole. If its Kathryn, my hats off to her.
Old 02-28-01, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly. That is the cool thing. For many reasons, I think Steven is the obvious one. BUT...maybe they are smarter than I give them credit for. That would be cool. In the previews for tomorrow's finale, some of the ex-players seemed shocked at the revealed Mole. Why if it was Steve?

Maybe Steve is just a dufus. Maybe the real Mole messed up the radio. Maybe what we see as things the people are doing, is really the Mole causing to happen.

It would be cool to be her. That fainting looked a little fake last week. And the crying and all looked pretty real, but maybe she is a good actress.

But how could an Undercover cop get this much face time on TV? Does that not affect his job? Plus he was the one working hard to be friendly to everyone. Steve.

But wait.. argh...

Actually...I am enjoying this show.
Old 02-28-01, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RandyC and Double C... two of my buddies. You're killing me!!!

You are not supposed to be watching this reality crap! You're putting me out of work!

Now go sit down, grab the remote and put my show on right now!

Oh wait... my show got cancelled.

Well then turn on whatever took my show's place!

Oh wait... it's another reality show.

Never mind.

Old 02-28-01, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going with Steve also. The only real obvious strike against Jim is when he missed the book in the library that one challenge. I think he did that intentionally to make it look like he was the mole to throw the others off - Kathryn was right next to him to see it, so he knew it wouldn't mess up the mission.

Except for the mission where she failed to shoot the guy, Kathryn seems to be the one trying the hardest to win and is usually the one that ends up winning the mission for them. So if she's the mole, she's doing a crappy job.

Btw, I missed the first few episodes of the show. Whats in it for the Mole? Like what is his incentive for screwing up the challenges?
Old 02-28-01, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well Steven was also the one to figure out that the bike was what controlled Jim's lights and such.

Anyway, I'm totally confused.
I really have begun to enjoy this show and think tonight's episode will be fun to watch "in what ways the mole" sabotaged (or tried to) the challenges.

Now if Steven IS the MOLE I am just confused as to the "alliance" between Jim and Steven. Because Jim would have been "executed" a long time ago because he would have gotten the questions wrong because he wouldn't have been answering them with the correct type answers regarding Steven. UNLESS, Jim knows Steven IS the Mole and plays off that by "allying" with him, and Steven going along with it thinking he just "tricked" one more player (his job!). Which I wouldn't put past Jim and that would be smart.

However Kathryn seemed to be on the same line of thinking based on her comments on last night's show. So they would have the same answers in the above scenario and the difference between winning and losing on the questions would be who remember "A particular color shirt" or "when is the mole's birthday" which seems trivial to make the difference!

Now if Jim is the MOLE then Steve seems clueless, as one of his final comments was "If Jim is the mole I'm a purple elephant in a tutu" or something to that effect! Now being one of the final comments of the night that would be a "good suprise" to use by FOX.

So it really could be any of them.
Jim, just skipped right over that book in the library.
Kathryn, could shoot or guard that glass and had no clue.
Steve, with the latest "yeah I saw the safe, but didn't think about it" and the whole road trip of being resourcefull. He stalled on that for a LONG time before they "hit" the road.
Old 02-28-01, 09:14 AM

I think Steve is the mole. I've thought this for quite a while. Steve appears to be an idiot on the show. I think this in part to CBS editing the hell out of the shows so you really don't know what's going on. I don't see how an undercover cop could be that clueless.

Jim is very sly. He is always flying low under the radar. Or, that's the way it appears to me.
Old 02-28-01, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's Kathryn. I've got no good reason except my wife was saying almost from the beginning that it was Steven or Jim and I want her to be wrong.
Old 02-28-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Guyot!

I know...but what are you doing in this thread? I feel a little dirty, but a shower after the show and all is fine.

Hey, it's not like I started watching Jerry Springer. It's the subtle interplay of human dynamics that draws me in. Yeah, that's it. Plus...on Survivor...that one chick has nice jubblies.

Ack...I did not think I would like these two shows..But I do. I will next start shopping at Walmart, buy an RV, and start eating at McDonalds.

Old 02-28-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by briank
Well Steven was also the one to figure out that the bike was what controlled Jim's lights and such.
This kind of stuff makes sense to me also. Because the mole has two purposes. One, to mess up the game, but not mess it up so much that it is bad TV. If the they never figured out the bike-light connection, that entire game would have never started and would have been stupid. We would have had Jim sitting in the dark and all those messages on the wall would have been wasted. That would have been bad TV.

It seems a lot of what the Mole is doing, is to also make sure the game is interesting....and that it is good TV. In fact, that is probably his primary role. If they win another $10k or whatever is a minor thing.
Old 02-28-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk God

guyot, sorry buddy! I like the show, it's like a mystery novel to me. You try and add up all the clues and figure out "whodunnit". I promise, I'll only non-reality based tv shows from now on (excluding survivor of course!)
Old 02-28-01, 10:41 AM

I'm gonna give my vote to Jim. Everything Steve has done just seems too obvious; I think he's probably just a doofus. His wife even said that he has a tendency to screw things up without trying too hard.

However, I'm fully prepared to be wrong tonight. If there's one thing I've learned from watching the Mole, it's that I suck at figuring out who the mole is. First I thought Jen, then Kate, then Charlie. I guess I'll find out tonight.
Old 02-28-01, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have thought Steven is the mole for a while. Jim was an obvious early choice, but it seemed like him and Kathryn were the only ones trying yesterday. Of course, the moles job is to sabotage the challenges and/or throw them off the the miole's trail. So, occasionally the mole could be the one trying the hardest.

Steven has done a few things that surprised me. 1) He wouldn't pose nude for the artist (who was a guy) 2) The resourceful thing.. stalling, missing signs..etc. 3) Not even trying last night with the doors. 4) Missing the sheet music in the paper. 5) Not knowing Juan Valdez is the coffee guy and Juan Carlos is the king of Spain (though Jim missed this too)

Of course that could just be a ruse to throw off his other competition for the prize if he were the mole. I might even play that strategy myself. Quitting on the tasks could really throw off my opponent and make them think I was the mole.

The total surprise to me would be Kathryn. She seems to be trying all the time (except for the gun incident). The Jim/Steven thing leads me to truly believe it's one of them.

As for the shocked faces in the TV blurb, they could just as easily been edited from another part of the telecast and not when the mole is revealed.

This will most likely come down to the little details the people remembered along the way. To get this far, they know how their quizzes went and they know they knew more about the mole than the people who are gone. Unless, people hedged their guesses all the way through, they have a good idea who the mole is.

Old 02-28-01, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just don't want to see Kathryn win the money.
I think she was being too much of a baby about the "question" challenge with the cheating question and "all good things for Steven" and "all bad things for me" type whining.
If she is the mole that's fine (she was the ONLY one to look into that "production" book) and if the above whining spirit and crying was a MOLE ploy, that'd be great.

But otherwise I would want to see Jim/Steve win the money and have the other be the mole.
Old 02-28-01, 11:03 AM
JMP

It's gotta be Steve. I don't see how an undercover cop could have missed the clues on the keyboard in his room on last night's show. In addition, why would he have randomly picked names during the first contest. If he were a team player wanting to actually get another $10000 added to the pot, he would have considered the three questions and given an appropriate answer to each. These two observations from last night's show make it apparent to me that Steve is the mole.

I would be surprised if it were Kathryn. Although I haven't seen every episode of The Mole, she seems to be trying pretty hard in every contest I have seen. On last night's show, she single-handidly figured out how to get herself out of her own room. Then, she tried very hard to get Jim and Steve out of their rooms. Just wouldn't make sense to me that if she were The Mole that those things would have taken place.

We'll find out tonight.
Old 02-28-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be somewhat disappointed if the mole turned out to be Steve, because his background would make him just too obvious of a choice to handle these kinds of operations.

A possible hint that it's Steve came from the sneak preview for tonight's show, where they reunited the previous players. They had a close-up of Charlie looking shocked. Charlie previously said he and Steve had a particularly good relationship (coming from similar backgrounds). Of course, his facial reaction could have been for anything, to throw viewers off like they did last week, implying that Kathryn was hurt doing one of the stunts when she really fainted.

Kathryn has tended to be one of the bigger team players, but also one of the more sensitive ones as shown last night night. Her emotions either is a good cover or that it shows that she wouldn't have been ideal enough to be the mole because she would cave under pressure.

I've been suspecting Jim for some time, but then again, I've been suspecting everyone else!

Old 02-28-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kathryn is the mole....

I've just got a hunch.

I look at all three of them and she is the one that sticks out and the least to be the Mole in the first place. I guess we'll see tonight!

Old 02-28-01, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Argument for why Kathryn is NOT the mole:

The Production Book

It would be totally unfair to dock the pot for something NO ONE in the group could control. No one else was in there with her. It's one thing to sabotage in front of someone else, but to do it when no one can do anything about it is very very unfair. (If she is the mole, they should put that money back in the pot)
Old 02-28-01, 01:36 PM
Banned

My Money is on JIM

the scene in the library they found that black book and he kinda blew it off as not being the correct one, then Kathryn stopped and corrected him. That did it for me.
Old 02-28-01, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by guyot

Now go sit down, grab the remote and put my show on right now!

Oh wait... my show got cancelled.

What show was that?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.