TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

BattleBots -- Series Discussion Thread

Old 01-02-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love this program...some of the bots are doomed from the start..(the snake?!?! What the heck was he thinking)
Old 01-02-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright ! The box is locked and its ROBOT FIGHTIN' TIME AGAIN !!!
Old 01-09-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1/8-14 Battlebots

New season.... months to construct....minutes to destroy...

Arena - No changes beyond the two American flags.

Deathstar vs. Phrizbee - Okay, whose bright idea was it to put the spring on the outside of the bot? Nice to see Death Star smoking to death. Phrizbee deserves the win.

Ravanger vs. T-Minus - Poor ravanger. It was interesting to see it's lifting double as a weapon. While T-minus excels in the double-flip, Ravanger got stuck upside down with no way to right itself. Boo-hoo.

Phantom Thrust vs. The Probe - Huh? Phantom Thrust lost his tread while the Probe needs some driving lessons. Was the Probe disabled as well?

Scrap Daddy Surplus vs. Wedge Of Doom - Man, that was a good fight, even if we seen robots the likes of Scrap Daddy Surplus before. Very controversial decision.

TriMangle vs. Vladiator - Grudge match galore. Poor Vladiator weapon got knocked off early by TriMangle, but the TriMangle failed. Vladiator had to fight hard for this one.

KillerB vs. SharkByte - Best match of the night, and it demonstrates how dangerous those bots can be by removing pieces of the arena's lexan. Be surprised by the results.

Snowflake vs. Ziggo - Uh, kid, you have to attach the robot, not be afraid of it. Of course, I was surprised when Ziggo almost self-destructed at the start. Apparently, Ziggo's spin is speed controlled. Worst fight of the night.
Old 01-09-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like they've implemented a better weeding out process than the last couple of seasons. Except for Snowflake, all of the bots looked like contenders. Some new styles (active armor is a good idea) and new variations on a theme (Triamangle looked very dangerous) made this a great opener. I hope all the shows are an hour but it looks like they just played two 30 minute shows back to back for the premiere.

D
Old 01-09-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AFAIK, all of the seasons episodes are one hour long, although they appear to be produced in half-hour segments for later repeat airing.
Old 01-10-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know how many episodes (or hours) there will be this season? I'm going to tape them all - as I have before - and I want them all on one tape.
Old 08-28-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Battlebots is back?!?

Wow, this one totally snuck up on me. Yesterday afternoon I saw a commercial on Comedy Central saying "Tonight, season 5.0 of Battlebots continues." And my response was "Whaaaaa?" Hell, I didn't even know it had started the week before!

I think that this amounts to some pretty poor marketing on Comedy Central's part, because I'm a semi-regular viewer and the very first commercial I saw for it was in the second week.

Oh, and from last night's episode it seems just as good as ever, with one exception - Carmen Electra is back. Ugh. Don't get me wrong, she's hot, and I love looking at hot girls, but come on - she adds NOTHING to the show. There I am, smiling/laughing at what the hosts were just talking about; then when one of them says "And now here's Carmen Electra", and man that zaps the smile right off my face.

Otherwise the show rocks! I know some people on this board like to diss Battlebots, but I think it's pretty awesome.
Old 08-28-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

THey have too many lame-ass bouts, and too many of the robots win not because they did much, but because the other robot simply had mechanical failure.
Old 09-24-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NOTE: Battlebots moved to Saturday night

I don't know how many Battlebots fans are around here, but this was news to me:

Forget Tuesdays at 10:00. It's now on Saturday, I believe at 8:00. As usual, there are also several re-airings during the week.

Too bad the move didn't include a removal of Carmen Electra. God how I hate her. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE looking at hot chicks, but she adds nothing to the show and is simply there for ogling purposes. And this show doesn't need it!

Carmen Electra
Old 09-24-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: NOTE: Battlebots moved to Saturday night

Originally posted by Professor Frink

Too bad the move didn't include a removal of Carmen Electra. God how I hate her. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE looking at hot chicks, but she adds nothing to the show and is simply there for ogling purposes. And this show doesn't need it!

No way. That one episdoe where she was teaching the 'class' in that schoolgirl outfit. Oh my!!!

I usually record the Saturday morning repeats so as long as that remains unchanged, that's cool. There were always conflicts with programming on other networks with the Tuesday night airing. I always just FF to the matches and Carmen.
Old 09-27-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Comedy Central is dropping Battlebots

Well this sucks. I happen to love this show. While the current season (5.0) is expected to finish its run, Comedy Central is currently not planning to sponsor the next event in November. Which means that not only will it not be televised -- without CC's sponsorship, the event itself is off. Let's hope CC changes its mind.

http://www.retrofire.com/index.asp?i...ead&article=23

From a letter from the show's creators:

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM TREY AND GREG:

BATTLEBOTS 6.0 TOURNAMENT PLANS ON HOLD:

We are very sorry to inform our builders that plans for the BattleBots 6.0 Tournament have been put on hold until further notice. At this point, the BattleBots 6.0 Tournament will NOT be held in November 2002 as originally planned.

Much to our dismay, Comedy Central has decided NOT to renew its option for a Phase 6.0 taping at this time. Without this television funding from Comedy Central, BattleBots Inc. simply cannot afford to hold a live competition.

It is possible that the next BattleBots Tournament will be held in the near future, depending on the circumstances. We are aggressively seeking avenues whereby we can move forward with the events as quickly as possible. We will keep you abreast of the latest developments.

In any case, please accept our sincerest regrets. We understand and appreciate the enormous resources, efforts, and talents that builders put into their robots. However, since the television funding is not there at this time, our hands are tied. Please understand that we have also expended a vast amount of effort in preparation for the Phase 6.0 event. We are as disappointed as you must be. This hurts us deeply in many ways.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your dedication, cooperation, and patience during this challenging period. We are also counting on your continued support. We are in this thing together because we collectively represent the sport of BattleBots. We at BattleBots will continue to honor your hard work by tirelessly promoting the sport of robotic combat. When it comes time to hold the next BattleBots event, we hope to hit the ground running.

In the end, this challenging time may turn out to be the greatest thing that ever happened to our sport. As we overcome obstacles and capitalize on new opportunities, BattleBots will continue to flourish for years to come. We are actively exploring some very promising options at this time. Stay tuned for an update very shortly.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to call or email us with your questions and concerns. Your input matters to us greatly as we enter the next phase for our sport. Take care and we look forward to seeing you all again very soon.

Sincerely,

Trey and Greg

Last edited by Professor Frink; 09-27-02 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-27-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

That is very surprising. I figured that this was one of their more successful programs.
Old 09-27-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's hard for a show to survive when the concept of the show immediately alienates half the viewing audience (women)
Old 09-27-02, 11:50 AM

Women dont like robot fighting? That's a stereotype. I see lots of women in the audience, and more than a few on the teams.

D
Old 09-27-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never understood Battlebots being on Comedy Central. It doesn't really seem very.... funny.
Old 09-27-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Derrich
Women dont like robot fighting? That's a stereotype. I see lots of women in the audience, and more than a few on the teams.

D
Of course it's a stereotype but there's a lot of truth to it, I'm sure. There are lots of exceptions, of course, but it's probably realistic to believe that most women will roll their eyes when you mention battlebots to them. Except the big burly manly looking ones.
Old 09-27-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You engineering nerds can still rejoice in having Robot Wars on TNN
http://www.thenewtnn.com/shows/robot/
Old 09-27-02, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by shaun3000
I never understood Battlebots being on Comedy Central. It doesn't really seem very.... funny.
Neither does "Crank Yankers," but they're still airing that...
Old 09-27-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

son of whyachi ruled
Old 09-27-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see this being the kind of sport that people would actually follow. While it's hella cool to watch robots beat the crap out of each other, who really cares who wins, other than the teams themselves.

I liked Battlebots, but it got old after a while. They kept things moving along and kept the stupid outside the ring crap to a minimum, but in the end it was never really Comedy Central material.
Old 09-27-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Wag The Frog
Neither does "Crank Yankers," but they're still airing that...

you must be high
Old 09-27-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
damn. I work with someone who was on last season and has been working a new bot for this season. was hoping to see him on tv
Old 09-27-02, 10:20 PM

Battlebots belongs more on TechTv or something like that. Anyway, I watched the first 2 seasons or so, then just stopped. Too slow, too many "draws" that had to be decided by the judges, and the annoying announcers that tried to make the smallest collision into a big deal: (pulverizer hammer hits a tiny glancing blow on the corner inch of a bot) Announcers: Ohhh man, (insert robot name here) just got (insert hyperbole word like crushed, pounded, hammered, creamed, etc) by the pulverizer!!!
Old 09-27-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed the show but it may have run its course for me.
Old 09-28-02, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Battlebots really doesn't need to be on comedy central. I go for laughs, not for robot wars.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.