C.S.I. - The best show ever created?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

C.S.I. - The best show ever created?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-01, 04:51 PM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
I have been watching this show since it first aired. I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a one hour drama so much. William Petersen has resurrected his career and all the supporting players are doing a great job as well. The plots are unique and require the viewer to pay attention. It is also probably the most stylish show I have seen in recent years. Anyone else feel the same way?
Old 02-23-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bodai
I have been watching this show since it first aired. I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a one hour drama so much. William Petersen has resurrected his career and all the supporting players are doing a great job as well. The plots are unique and require the viewer to pay attention. It is also probably the most stylish show I have seen in recent years. Anyone else feel the same way?
Hell YES. I haven't missed an episode yet. Gonna watch last night's episode tonight. I love my Tivo
Old 02-23-01, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was really looking forward to this series when the commercials first aired. I havent seen any episodes. I guess I am missing out on a lot. I love all the law/crime tv shows, but this one looks so cool as forensic science is such a fascinating subject. I gather from dbrink's post that this show is on Thursday nights?
Old 02-23-01, 06:16 PM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally posted by TaTTooD
I gather from dbrink's post that this show is on Thursday nights?
Thursday at 8:00 CST on CBS.
Old 02-23-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a great show that became one of my favorites in a very short time. William Peterson and Marg Helgenberger are both terrific.

My only criticism would be that sometimes answers come a little too easily in rushed endings. That should get better as the show matures.

I like the change from Fridays to Thursdays. The spot after Survivor is cushy. I think it was the 4th highest rated show last week.
Old 02-23-01, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I definitely agree with everyone. CSI is an incredible show, with a great cast, and great scripts each and every week. The crazy thing is that it's on CBS. I work for a CBS affilliate and it is by far the best show we have had in many many years. William Petersen is great as the head CSI, and the supporting cast are all really good too. The show is very stylish and I really like they way they do the individual flashbacks to the crime, based on different CSI's opinions of what really took place.
Old 02-24-01, 12:36 AM

CSI is a great show, probably one of the top 5 on TV right now from a quality standpoint, but it is not the best ever. Go back in time and look at such greats as Twilight Zone, St. Elsewhere or China Beach (also Marg Helgenberger, can she pick them or what) and you'll see some examples of really timeless great television.
Old 02-24-01, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The few episodes of this show that I've seen have impressed me. With a style all its own, some quality detective work out in the field, and the science, it reminds me a bit of some of the better, early X-Files, albeit absent anything paranormal. This would be a show Scully would like, methinks.
Old 02-24-01, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
The show is very stylish and I really like they way they do the individual flashbacks to the crime, based on different CSI's opinions of what really took place.
That style reminds me of "Petrocelli," a mid-70s series that starred Barry Newman(Vanishing Point) as a defense lawyer. The flashbacks of the crime would vary as he, the DAs, the defendants, witnesses, victims, etc would present their versions of what really happened. It seems other series have done this as well over the years, but I think "Petrocelli" may have been the first.

Every time I see William Petersen, I wish his breakthrough film, "To Live and Die in L.A.," would turn up on DVD. Thrilling car chase in that film. Hmm, "Vanishing Point" had great car chases too. Synchronicity?

Danny in Yorktown, VA.
Old 02-24-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm also digging this show as well. It's just a lot of fun, and the characters have fun ripping on each other.
Old 02-24-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitly a kick a$$ show
Old 02-24-01, 12:32 PM

Wow. I have never watched it, but after reading this thread I just might have to give it a try. It has been doing really well ratings-wise lately (what with the Survivor lead-in).
Old 02-24-01, 03:30 PM

While I do, for the most, part enjoy CSI - especially William Peterson's performance, what annoys me most are the forensic inaccuracies. This is the first television drama that has focused on the forensic science aspect of crime solving. I would have liked to have seen it portrayed more like it is in the real world.

Now I realize this is TV and considerable dramatic license is taken, but so many people I've talked to think this show is the way it is done and that's not really true. Now every prospective juror in the country has seen CSI and think they're an expert on the evidence and wonder why the forensic lab didn't do what they saw them do on CSI.

I know the show has technical consultants that advise on how things are really done - but I'm sure their opinions get overruled on occasion in order to make it more exciting.

Anyway, like I said - I do enjoy the show (when I'm not laughing hysterically or screaming at the TV). I just felt the overwhelming need to rant. Sorry :-)

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Old 02-24-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nightflyer
[B]
Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
The show is very stylish and I really like they way they do the individual flashbacks to the crime, based on different CSI's opinions of what really took place.
That style reminds me of "Petrocelli," a mid-70s series that starred Barry Newman(Vanishing Point) as a defense lawyer. The flashbacks of the crime would vary as he, the DAs, the defendants, witnesses, victims, etc would present their versions of what really happened. It seems other series have done this as well over the years, but I think "Petrocelli" may have been the first.

I've never even heard of that show...I guess it was a little before my time. Is it in syndication anywhere? Cuz I'd love to check it out.
Old 02-24-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,372 Likes on 934 Posts
I love the show too. I agree with Nickee about the "realness" of the show. I mean, come on, you think the crime lab people actually interview possible suspects when they are in jail. It seems like they've merged the idea of a Detective and the CSI and made a new position. I do love the show, however. It reminds me a lot of Law and Order where they have overlapping story lines. It gets a big from me!
Old 02-26-01, 08:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyone know of any good website related to the show?
Old 02-27-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a great show - I too have seen every episode (except last week's - it's on tape...). I do think it is one of the best dramas out there right now. I also think The Practice and Boston Public rank right up there - did you see Boston Public last night? I almost cried from laughing so hard when Lipschitz sent Goober on the wild goos chase.

=Blake=
|

Old 02-27-01, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The thing that bugs me whenever I watch this show is...

Where are the f***ing cops? These CSI folks do more investigating than the cops do! In real life, the CSI team does the forensic stuff and that's it. They don't talk to wits, they don't do about 80% of the stuff they do in this show.

I know it's television, but it takes out of the story when I see them doing stuff that they really don't do.
Old 02-27-01, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite show too!! Every episode they throw you something different and I like that. Keeps you guessing in a way. I also like how they interact the viewer at home so to speak by showing how they process evidence. It's been a long time since there has been a show on tv that captures mystery, murder, and intelligence.
Old 02-27-01, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Blake
This is a great show - I too have seen every episode (except last week's - it's on tape...). I do think it is one of the best dramas out there right now. I also think The Practice and Boston Public rank right up there - did you see Boston Public last night? I almost cried from laughing so hard when Lipschitz sent Goober on the wild goos chase.

=Blake=
|

I believe those names are Lipschultz and Guber. Yours are funnier though.
Old 02-27-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by guyot
These CSI folks do more investigating than the cops do! In real life, the CSI team does the forensic stuff and that's it. They don't talk to wits, they don't do about 80% of the stuff they do in this show.
I noticed this the first time I saw the show, but quickly let it go as dramatic license. If we were just following the CSI's, the show would get pretty boring and quick.

I don't really have a problem with it, its just the way they set up the show. I very much doubt that NY city cops are allowed to abuse suspects, but there it is on NYPD Blue every week.
Old 02-27-01, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,372 Likes on 934 Posts
Originally posted by guyot
The thing that bugs me whenever I watch this show is...

Where are the f***ing cops? These CSI folks do more investigating than the cops do! In real life, the CSI team does the forensic stuff and that's it. They don't talk to wits, they don't do about 80% of the stuff they do in this show.

I know it's television, but it takes out of the story when I see them doing stuff that they really don't do.
that's funny. didn't i just say the same above!
Old 02-27-01, 09:47 PM

Its a pretty good show...and having Krista Allen around as eye candy doesnt hurt!
Old 02-28-01, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by LionheartBL
Its a pretty good show...and having Krista Allen around as eye candy doesnt hurt!
When was that?
Old 02-28-01, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deftones17
that's funny. didn't i just say the same above! [/B]
Where do all my good ideas come from???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.