Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC Appears Not-Likely To Renew The XFL's Contract In 2002.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC Appears Not-Likely To Renew The XFL's Contract In 2002.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-01, 01:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just three weeks on the air, reports say NBC expects to drop the XFL following end of the first season. Many at NBC want to do away with the league now, but won't due to Dick Ebersol's role with the league. NBC owns 50% of the XFL, so if NBC does cancel XFL, then the league is pretty much done. Ratings started extremely high for the XFL for the first couple of games, but have fallen to well below what was promised to advertisers. The WWF stock keeps going down since the XFL started and will keep going down if the XFL doesn't do something.
Old 02-21-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
quit showing so much football on TV ... show more cheerleaders ...
Old 02-21-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard on Fox Sports earlier tonight that ratings have fallen 70% since the first week. Thats um........really bad.
Old 02-21-01, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well i admit,its not what it promised to be, but in any case, the games have really gotten decent in he last few games, the camera angles are getting much better. and the games are getting a bit more professional in a sense. just need to get out some contridicting calls and the game would be decent. the fan reaction is still big.
Old 02-21-01, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TaTTooD
I heard on Fox Sports earlier tonight that ratings have fallen 70% since the first week. Thats um........really bad.
Actually I heard it was 75%. Hehe...losers.
Old 02-21-01, 01:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by TaTTooD
It can't be as bad as that show Cop Rock. Now that was an Emmy waiting to happen
Old 02-21-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm goin to the Enforcers game on March 4th. Front row on the 20. Hopefully the cheerleaders hang out there.
Old 02-21-01, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haha, 3 weeks in and it's dead already! Stick to wrestling Vince!
Old 02-21-01, 07:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO they promised this "extreme" football w/ fewer rules and more "action". In the 1 quarter I watched I saw more penalties then in the last entire NFL game I saw. WRT the "action" I've seen better playing in pickup games. Also whoever thought it would be a good idea to mike the players should be fired Personally I'd rather watch college football and I hate college football
Old 02-21-01, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That just goes to show that Football will never catch on in this country!!!
Old 02-21-01, 09:17 AM

Vince Macmahon was real stupid...all he had to do was make the whole thing fake...like wrestling...ya know, have a few cheerleaders get clothes-lined, Make a bunch of personal vendettas, Have players duking it out on the field. Wrestling fans aren't in it for the sport...They want drama and surprises. Oh well nice try. Who I feel really bad for are the two pre-game commentators, Opie and Anthony. These two guys are the top radio DJs in New York City (They make Howard Stern look like a washed-up old has-been). I listen to their show on a daily basis and was real happy for them whhen they got this gig doing the XFL pre-game commentary. Now they will have to swallow the fact that their first attempt at television was a failure. These guys are real resiliant though...they'll be back.
Old 02-21-01, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
This just means more shows like The Steve Webber Show will have to be made. The XFL doesn't sound so bad now, does it?
Old 02-21-01, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bet NBC is kicking them selves now. They should have stuck with their Saturday Thrill-ogy. Pretender, The Others(I think) and Profiler. Seeing since Pretender 2001 did pretty good over on TNT. So sad the choices NBC makes
Old 02-21-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
What kind of ratings did the AFL get in 1960 or 1961?

Probably not very good compared to the NFL. But it survived because fans slowly caught on to how good the league was.

The first two weeks were basically the XFL's pre-season, so it was spotty in terms of the quality of play. It is getting better, just like the USFL did in it's first season. NBC's own broadcasts during weeks 1 & 2 were pretty bad, so they have to take a share of the blame for the week 3 ratings. Give it time, and the fans will slowly tune back in. I've got some friends at work who checked out the game last Saturday and loved it. That was the first time they watched the XFL.

The big mistake is putting it on in prime time on Saturday nights. It should be a Saturday late morning/early afternoon schedule. The XFL COULD pull off a prime time schedule - if the league becomes better established.

The big difference between the XFL and the AFL is that the owners/networks were much more patient in the early 60's - they let it grow.

If it survives the first year or two, it will be a success. The USFL would have been too, but the owners got stupid and wanted to go head to head with the NFL!
Old 02-21-01, 11:34 AM

Old 02-21-01, 11:38 AM
Retired

It was a bad idea from the start. I mean the players are scrubs, the camera angles suck, the commentators are annoying, and I could care less about the cheer leaders. I want to watch good football, not a bunch of scrubs, and bitches with bleached hair and silicone chests. Jim Rome said it best when he said something to the effect of "I just watched the best in the world play for the past 6 months, why would I want to spend another 3 months watching scrubs play."
Old 02-21-01, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why am I not surprised to see this announcement???

Now we will see if my previous prediction is correct.....I originally gave the XFL two years tops before shutting down operations!!! Hell, without a television contract.....they may not even make it past the first year!!!
Old 02-21-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nobody ever mentions one of the main reasons why the ratings are dropping -- look at the time slot. Saturday nights! The demographic that watch and would watch the XFL aren't likely to commit every Saturday night to their couch watching minor-league football!

Move the games to Sunday mornings and you'll more than likely see a jump in the ratings.
Old 02-22-01, 10:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
See NBC, this is what happens when you cancel Freaks and Geeks!
Old 02-22-01, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i still can't believe that anyone actually thought the xfl could be popular. who wants to watch bad football? that's all it is. let it die.
Old 02-22-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nemein
...Personally I'd rather watch college football and I hate college football
Blasphemy
Old 02-22-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
except for the cheerleaders, which aren't shown all that much anyway, the XFL is worse than watching the CFL
Old 02-23-01, 05:58 AM
Banned

I'd rather watch the Bud Bowl
Old 02-23-01, 07:52 PM

Hopefully they dump this turkey soon..that and Wrastling, as they say in these here parts..."Yeee Hawww!"
Old 02-23-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The XFL is suck. They promise football, but then have aas much football in one hour as an hour of RAW has wrestling. Wrestling is an hour long, and it is just a big commercial for the next pay-per-view event...except for some crap match with Goldberg vs. Barry O.

If I was in it for the cheerleqders, I'd just watch some skin flick instead, so that isn't a draw either. The whole thing is stupid, and I can't believe it has lasted this long.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.